Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Bladder stones

Carrie37

Cavy Slave
Anyone have experience or insight on bladder stone surgery for a male guinea pig? My boy has 3 small stones.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As surgeries go, it's not a terrible one. They don't have to mess around with the intestines, and recovery is usually fairly easy.

There's really no option other than surgery for a male guinea pig. The urethra is too long for stones to pass, in most cases. And if a stone falls into the urethra and blocks the flow of urine, you've got a full-blown, painful, expensive medical emergency. Much better to get it scheduled and over with before that happens.

If the stones are tiny, they might pass if you give the pig something that relaxes the urethra, like shilintong or a mild tranquilizer. You also have to force a lot of fluids to make that happen, and the best way to do that is with a sub-cutaneous injection -- it's probably not possible to get the pig to drink that much on its own.

Whatever you do, be sure they take another x-ray right before the surgery. I've known of quite a few guinea pigs who had passed the stone before the surgery, but the vet didn't check, so the pig underwent an unnecessary procedure.

Good luck to you and him. Keep us posted on what happens.

Carrie37

Cavy Slave
How much is reasonable for a surgery?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'd just have to call around and ask. Surgery costs vary widely in different areas of the country, and even within the same city. When one of my pigs had stones several years ago, I was quoted $600, $850, and $2200.

You do want a good exotic vet to do the surgery. As surgeries go, it isn't complicated, and is just like removing stones from a dog or cat. However, anesthesia for guinea pigs is tricky, and it's the anesthesia and the recovery that pose the greatest risks to the pig.

Carrie37

Cavy Slave
I also have him on 1 shillontong daily as well as the Sherwood urinary tabs 2 per day plus half a oxbow urinary support tab. He is 3 yrs old. I don't feed him many oxbow pellets he loves his veggies he's not much of a hay eater, I feed him Timothy, orchard and oat hays. He's also never been much of a water drinker unfortunately. My first piggie with bladder issues, don't know how he got them.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bladder issues are complicated. Some of it is diet, some of it is water, some of it is pig genetics. Some pigs will develop stones even on a low calcium diet, others will never get them despite a high calcium diet.

I wouldn't bother with the Sherwood urinary tabs. I'm not in the least impressed with Sherwood products, and their research on their products is pretty sketchy.

He shouldn't get many veggies, no more than a cup a day, and many vets recommend less. Hay is the most important item in his diet, even more so than pellets or veggies.

Carrie37

Cavy Slave
What is the likelihood he would get them again?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Very likely. Some pigs never have them again, most will have them again at some time in their lives, and a few will develop new stones within weeks of the surgery.

But do understand -- doing nothing about the stones is not an option. They won't cure themselves, and they can cause a host of other problems -- bleeding, infection, and most of all pain. Please don't let your pig suffer from not treating him.

Anawilliam850

Cavy Gazer
Bladder stones can be a serious health issue for guinea pigs, and surgery may be necessary to remove them. The surgery to remove bladder stones in guinea pigs is typically performed by an experienced exotic animal veterinarian. The procedure involves making a small incision in the pig's abdomen and using specialized instruments to locate and remove the stones.

The success rate of bladder stone surgery in guinea pigs is generally good, but there are risks involved with any surgical procedure. These risks include anesthesia complications, bleeding, infection, and post-operative complications such as pain, swelling, or difficulty urinating.

It's important to work closely with your veterinarian to determine if surgery is the best course of action for your guinea pig and to discuss the risks and benefits of the procedure. Your vet may also recommend dietary changes or other treatments to help manage your guinea pig's bladder stones.

Carrie37

Cavy Slave
Very likely. Some pigs never have them again, most will have them again at some time in their lives, and a few will develop new stones within weeks of the surgery.

But do understand -- doing nothing about the stones is not an option. They won't cure themselves, and they can cause a host of other problems -- bleeding, infection, and most of all pain. Please don't let your pig suffer from not treating him.
What can I give him for cranberry supplements or juice till then?

Carrie37

Cavy Slave
Bladder stones can be a serious health issue for guinea pigs, and surgery may be necessary to remove them. The surgery to remove bladder stones in guinea pigs is typically performed by an experienced exotic animal veterinarian. The procedure involves making a small incision in the pig's abdomen and using specialized instruments to locate and remove the stones

The success rate of bladder stone surgery in guinea pigs is generally good, but there are risks involved with any surgical procedure. These risks include anesthesia complications, bleeding, infection, and post-operative complications such as pain, swelling, or difficulty urinating.

It's important to work closely with your veterinarian to determine if surgery is the best course of action for your guinea pig and to discuss the risks and benefits of the procedure. Your vet may also recommend dietary changes or other treatments to help manage your guinea pig's bladder stones.
U ever have a bladder stone piggie? If so what was your experience?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.