Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Bissell handheld-can you vacuum hay and poop?

algrif40

Cavy Slave
I just got the Bissell hand held pet eraser vacuum due to its great reviews. I think I may be doing something wrong though. Am I supposed to brush off hay first with the broom before I vacuum? Because it seems to get clogged easily. Also, the poops are just kind of rolling around, not getting sucked up great. Some go through but it seems to take great effort and perseverance on my part. Am I doing this wrong? Is there an attachment I am supposed to be using?

Thank you

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think there's a vacuum in existence that will handle hay.

algrif40

Cavy Slave
So I sweep out hay first? What about the poops? Why doesn't it suck them up?

Chayna Renee

Cavy Slave
I get the third cut hay and I sweep it up with my Dyson sweeper. It works really well. I have been using it for about a year and a half now and it had only gotten clogged up once. Well, that's a lie. I've accidentally swept up pieces of apples that were a bit too big. I did have a bissel once but it wasn't a hand held and it worked also. If the hay doesn't sweep up try getting a finer cut hay. I usually get it off the internet at FarmerDavePetSupply.

ficklewinds

Cavy Slave
I have this handheld and I haven't had any issue with it. I use the pink attachment (not sure the actual name LOL). It's gets hay just fine for me, but then again, most of my hay is confined to the kitchen area so I'm not really having to clean up much. The suction has been fine for me, in fact too good! It sucks up the fleece with the poop. I tried the other attachment but the pink one is much better.

Keiralh

Cavy Slave
Sweep out the hay before you vacuum because they hay will get stuck in the vacuum and break it.

adonnelly517

Cavy Slave
I have the black and decker flexx hand held vac that I use to spot clean. It gets clogged if I sweep up too much hay but does great on the poop. If I have too much hay I usually take my handheld dust pan and brush and sweep up most of it then vacuum. I'm sure it just depends on how you want to do it. But might have to sweep it up some before vacuuming.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.