Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Best Veggies for Piggies

Pigsforever

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I am looking for veggies for my guinea pigs.
I think that they are starting to get bored of carrots and want a new veggie.
I preferably would like anything lettuce that I could feed daily with no worries but any veggie with no worries is fine.

Thanks,

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Green and red leaf lettuce should be a staple in your pigs diet. Carrots are good for a treat but are high in sugar.

Iceberg lettuce is basically just empty calories and can cause diarrhea in your pig, and romaine lettuce can cause excess urinary calcium, which can lead to bladder sludge and stones.

Here is a great start to what your piggies can eat, and in what amounts:

https://www.guinealynx.info/diet_vegs.html

Highhopes112

Cavy Slave
My old piggy Charlie absolutely LOVED cucumber. She was six or seven when I got her so I knew I wasn't going to have her very long and the people that had her before me didn't pay a whole lot of attention to her so I decided that I was just going to spoil her rotten and I gave them to her all the time, WAY more then I should have. One time I gave her a few to many and she started to have runny poo so I cut her off and for like two whole days she would sit in the cage giving me the evil eye because I wouldn't give her any more... I'm much more careful about how much of what I give to Cain and Abaddon but they love cucumber too, but they only get a couple slices a week. They are still kind of young so they don't eat absolutely everything I feed them like Charlie did but they always finish their cucumbers and peas, Cain likes to eat the pod before playing with the actual pea, it's adorable.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hello I am confused are carrots the only veggies you give your piggies? My girls get a staple of what I consider their daily veggies red/green leaf lettuce, bell pepper, zucchini. Then mix in cucumber and cilantro every other day. For variety I will give them radicchio (their favorite), belgian endive, dandelion greens, corn husks/silks. I try to keep their sugar low so they get one baby carrot a week and once small piece of fruit following their nail trims. Here is a nifty chart I used to help create their meals. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/280771357994741840/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.