Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin Best type of dosage: oral or topical

Piglett

Cavy Slave
I need to get a handy supply of invermectin and have been to guinea lynx to look at the kinds you could get. I'm afraid of diluting the paste and my vet cost would be very expensive. In past experiences, has the ivomec 1% solution been easier to dose or the horse paste. Can you please post pics of the one's you use and where you found them. I'm willing to dilute but it has to be absolutely exact. Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated. Also can you store it (diluted paste) and if so how?

Last edited:

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You don't have to dilute the 1% solution.

I've used the horse paste. I diluted mine in water. It takes a pretty long time to get it all mixed, and it is essential that you mix it completely. But it can certainly be done. I added a tiny bit of water, mixed the paste in as best I could, then a little more water, etc. I found this easier than adding all the water at once. I would not recommend storing the diluted paste. It's only a few dollars to buy a new tube.

Whatever you do, make sure that you are comfortable with the math and are sure you're not overdosing. Guinea Lynx has some ball park values for pigs at different weights and with different kinds of Ivermectin. You can also ask here if your amount and how you diluted it seems reasonable.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I found that using the .5% pour-on ivermectin was the easiest for me. I didn't want to have to dilute anything.

Make sure to thuroughly look at guinealynx for complete instructions on dosing ivermectin. If you are confused at all you can have your vet do it for you.

Piglett

Cavy Slave
Is this a good form of ivermectin:

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.