Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding Best hidey houses?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
While out shopping today, I began searching for options for hidey houses. Currently, we use Pigloos. I love them, but once I introduce Moe and Gus to Henry and Niko, I want something that has two openings in case of squabbles. I cannot really find anything in store that is appropriate. So I figured I'd ask you guys which houses you prefer, where you got them from and what not! I also want to know, for those of you who use step stools, where did you find yours? I cannot find any around me that are tall enough!

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
My girls really liked their willow branch tunnel - until they ate it!

aspecht

Cavy Slave
My girls really liked their willow branch tunnel - until they ate it!

I just gave all four of my boys pieces of willow branch to chew on, and of course there has to be at least one of them who won't chew them! Moe is STILL chewing the coroplast and cardboard (base) in his cage!

chas25

Cavy Slave
I have one like this but I got it with a store bought cage off craigslist that I got for my kitchen
(broken link removed)

kendalm7

Cavy Slave
You could always cut new holes on the sides of the plastic, I don't like using wood hides because if they pee and poop on it it gets nasty and there's not really anyway to really clean that kind of wood! I find it more unsanitary! I recommend just cutting new entry's on the sides of an extra large pigloo or plastic hidy because extra large I have for my two boars and there's still so much room inside of it! Just make sure when u cut it there's no sharp edges or anything!

Also I have seen small stepping stools at the dollar store for kids that were like disney orientated I never got it but it looked like it would work great! Good luck:)

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I'll check the dollar store next. I don't want to cut the pigloos honestly, because my boys try to sleep in the same one. I'm thinking they need something larger so they both can fit comfortably, and I'm hoping to add two more boys so definitely need more space!

lissie

Cavy Slave
I prefer fleece forest or fleece tent. Anything they can hide in, run through, and not take up any floor space.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
My boys were TERRIFIED of their fleece forests! It was weird lol! They would sniff then run away squeaking but wouldn't go through it!

lissie

Cavy Slave
That's funny :) Try fleece tent.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I will have to do that! I'm going to make some cozie sacks I think. Maybe if I make a bunch of those they will be satisfied and quit burrowing under my fleece!

GuineaGirl1

Cavy Slave
I just get a small cardboard box and cut an archway and put it in. my guinea pigs both try to squeeze in it

GuineaGirl1

Cavy Slave
sorry i dont know why it linked it to ebay

Swiss cheese

Cavy Slave
I also use cardboard boxes as hideys. You can cut as many openings in them as you wish. And when they get dirty, just toss them. I exchange them every couple of weeks. This way, I can also give the pigs some variety, which they love! Whenever I put a new box hidey in their cage, they run through it excitedly for a couple of minutes!

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I recently discovered Shelving extenders. They are a good height and width and the pigs love them.

Best hidey houses?

Here are my 3 foster boys chilling out under them.
Best hidey houses?

I bought another pair for my girls, slightly different design from a 'junky' store for $4.95. Best investment ever, especially with warmer weather starting to hit they feel 'safe' but it still allows for good airflow.

MissCavyCare

Cavy Slave
You can always use boxes, E.g. pop can boxes etc. I like Boxes because you can make the size to your liking and can cut out two entries. :)

MissCavyCare

Cavy Slave
@Aertyn : Your boys are adorable! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.