Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Best bedding for my guineas??

Ashcad124

Cavy Slave
I've got two cavies I've only had them for about a month. I use CareFresh bedding and it's very difficult to keep clean and very expensive. I've heard of Yesterday's News litter, has anyone ever tried this? Is it easy to clean and cheaper than CareFresh?

Have you read about using fleece? It's really great and would be the cheapest option.
Read some of the posts on this and learn more about it.

I used Carefresh for about 2 mos until I tried fleece-I'll never go back!

As far as bedding though, I tried many of the brands and liked Carefresh best-but it's the most expensive. The cheapest I found was $15 for the big bag but it still goes fast.

How hard is it to clean the fleece? How often do you need to wash it?

How hard is it to clean the fleece? How often do you need to wash it?

My daughter sweeps up the cage at least once a day. I wash the bedding 1x per week. I went 9 days once just because we were busy but there still wasn't any smell or anything.
I just wash it in the washer with mild soap and a little vinegar.

I have a "kitchen" which is a litter box that the hay is in and I do change that out 2x per week because they pee/poop in there more and that can smell a little because of the hay being peed on. But that's easy and fast and takes me 5 min to dump, wipe, and replace.

My guinea's are about 9 months old and they "go" everywhere. Can they be trained to "go" in one area of the cage? I appreciate your help.

My 3 all over 1 yr and they go all over too! They just go more in the litter box because they are ALWAYS eating the hay ;)
Some people say you can train them and just put the poop in the litter box area to try to show the piggies where to go. I've tried that and it didn't seem to make a big difference. But some say it works great so it's worth a try!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.