Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Bee stings in cavies/rabbits

alphilip77

Cavy Slave
So I was mowing the lawn today and unfortunately I got stung 3 times but some ground bees (hand, ankle and thigh, ugh). Needless to say it wasnt a pleasant experience. But it got me thinking; What would someone do if their rabbit or guinea pig somehow got stung by a bee/wasp while outside? Is there some sort of anti-inflammatory drug a vet could prescribe? Am I correct in thinking you would have to get them to the vet ASAP after getting stung? Is there a way you could treat them until they got to the vet or could you bypass the vet altogether with a certain treatment? Not sure if anyone has any experience with this pertaining to pigs/rabbits but any advice is greatly appreciated.

alphilip77

Cavy Slave
Bumping this thread. Any advice?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have no idea. I never take mine outside, so have never thought about the possibility of them being stung.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I have no idea. I never take mine outside, so have never thought about the possibility of them being stung.

Mine don't go outside either, but the other day a wasp got into our house somehow and was buzzing over their cage. I actually thought about this exact question! I wonder what the protocol would be in that case.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
10 stings per pound. So for an average guinea pigs it would be 15-30 stings to kill them. A hive can contain up to 60,000 bees. Your piggies and bunnies don't have a chance. Im sorry.

alphilip77

Cavy Slave
@PiggieGuinea: Thanks for the insight. I thought one or two stings would do major damage (as that's the average number of stings one suffers outside) but its good to know they can withstand a few more. I know they wouldnt stand a chance if there was a whole swarm stinging them.

@bpatters: No worries! I just figured since some people bring their pigs/rabbits outside a topic like this would be good food for thought. I'm sure the chances of a guinea pig or rabbit getting stung would be pretty slim to begin with since they would most likely be far away from any hive(s).

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
@PiggieGuinea : Thanks for the insight. I thought one or two stings would do major damage (as that's the average number of stings one suffers outside) but its good to know they can withstand a few more. I know they wouldnt stand a chance if there was a whole swarm stinging them.

@bpatters : No worries! I just figured since some people bring their pigs/rabbits outside a topic like this would be good food for thought. I'm sure the chances of a guinea pig or rabbit getting stung would be pretty slim to begin with since they would most likely be far away from any hive(s).

That would actually do some damage, but not alot. One more reason I just give them grass from outside and open my window to let fresh air in.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Children's benadryl could be given after the sting while you are waiting to get to the vet. Depending on the severity and number of stings and reaction, a vet visit may or may not be necessary though I think I'd always take an animal that small in right away regardless.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.