Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Bald spot appearing behind 1 ear?

campusgirll

Cavy Slave
My American crested sow Karma has gotten this patch behind her left ear. It had to have been within the past 3 days because i have been working a lot so havent had lap time. I have 2, the other sow Lulu doesnt have it. Otherwise, their coat is flawless, soft and shinny. They were just at the vet 2 months ago to cut nails and a general look over. I read online that it is normal but I wanted your opinion with pictures. I have had them for 9 months since they were babies. Never had mites or anything and they are our only pets. Cage is cleaned once a week and spot cleaned daily. Is this normal or should I be worried?
172461698e64ad50bf8a40dd8e61d9ec.jpg
e9b7f0024a41e7cbabdec0fdcdaaa0f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

scoottie

Cavy Slave
The bald patch behind the guinea pigs ear is normal your other guinea pigs also have them as well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That is NOT a normal bald spot behind the ear. It looks perfectly round to me, which suggests ringworm.

You could start with an antifungal medicine with one of the -conazoles in it -- several are listed here: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. If the lesion responds to that, keep treating it for several days after the hair begins to grow back in, because a fungus infection is hard to eradicate. If it doesn't respond, you may need to see a vet for a stronger medicine preparation.

campusgirll

Cavy Slave
I'm just going to take her to the vet. No other hair is coming out or has come out. She still let's me hold her and she is fine. I will just get a expert opinion

campusgirll

Cavy Slave
That is NOT a normal bald spot behind the ear. It looks perfectly round to me, which suggests ringworm.

You could start with an antifungal medicine with one of the -conazoles in it -- several are listed here: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. If the lesion responds to that, keep treating it for several days after the hair begins to grow back in, because a fungus infection is hard to eradicate. If it doesn't respond, you may need to see a vet for a stronger medicine preparation.
The bald spot is smooth and clean not crusty or flaky

campusgirll

Cavy Slave
Thank you. The vet said there are no infections

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.