Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems bald patch

piggdaddy

Cavy Slave
I have three piggies, edgar, homer, and clarence. Yesterday when I took the boys out for some outdoors time, I noticed Edgar had a small bald patch on his right thigh (upper thigh towards the butt) Upon closer inspection today, I saw it wasn't inflamed, just pink like a bald piggo. There was some very slight crust, almost like a bit of dryness, and possibly some regrowth of hair. He hasn't lost any weight, and he still eats and isn't lethargic. He isn't scratching any more than usually, and its mostly not over the bald patch. He doesn't seem to be in pain when touched either (he always is fervently against being handled). Any idea what my poor fat boy is going through?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's most likely a fungus, but could be a bacterial infection. Either is easy to treat. Can you post a picture?

piggdaddy

Cavy Slave
I wish I could, he's not too keen on being handled. I have his gland a wash and cut his nails so he's just not having it today. I mean, the only thing I can say is it's just bare pink, with no irritation or bite marks and hardly any crust. It almost looks like a small blip of dead skin

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How large is it? Could it be a bite from another pig that's healing?

piggdaddy

Cavy Slave
It's not enormous..... maybe the size of a file? And I know he and homer have a huge beef and they harass each other but I'm not sure I've ever seen homer barbering him

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd try an antifungal cream -- Nystatin or Lotrimin, any pharmacy. Use a q-tip and rub it in well.

If you don't see improvement in 4-5 days, switch to a triple antibiotic cream, also available at any pharmacy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.