Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Are Julia's constant little sounds normal?

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
My grey girl Julia is *always* making these little noises. Is this normal? I would love to hear more about what is "normal" in terms of how talkative some pigs are or aren't. Julia's sounds (that you will hear in the video) don't seem to be related to excitement or fear or anything specifically - she just makes them *all* the time. Is it just contentment? Or is it something negative do you think?

Ainsley, on the other hand, is much more silent overall, but will chirp happily when i pet her, or will wheek loudly and excitedly when she hears me rustle a plastic bag or hears the fridge door open, etc.

https://youtu.be/zSyl5Psthc4

slamdunk_12

Cavy Gazer
Lucy also make these tiny noises all the time, while walking to the food bowl, walking running around. Not sure what they means... Hopefully more knowledgeable piggy owner can enlighten us...
Phoebe on the other hand, shows happiness and distress very clearly by WHEEKING! WHEEK WHEEK WHEEK!

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Some piggies just chat more than others, I had one a while ago that'd make no sounds unless she heard dinner... RIP Eclair :(
And some piggies just feel the need to chat away. Like that one person at school that you wonder "Why haven't you suffocated yet?" because they talk so much they hardly breathe! (I happen to be that person but back to the topic at hand)

I own 17 guinea pigs, no pair of piggies are the same! Each one has their own personality, habits, likes, dislike, quirks, traits etc.
Though I find adventurous piggies a bit more chatty in my own experience :)

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
She's singing her own theme song. :)

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
Thank you, all!!

GeekPrincess

Cavy Slave
My boys both make little noises as they go about their piggy business. I think it's cute

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I watched a video on it, it's just a noise they make when they are going about their business. It's all completely normal. My pigs are exactly like yours, one is constantly making noises, while the other is pretty quiet.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
My one pig does that all the time when she's exploring. I call it her happy exploring noise.

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
Julia's sounds have me more and more concerned. I am taking her into the vet on Saturday morning to be checked out again. Please wish us luck, and any insight you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

I took her into the vet 2 weeks ago and had him listen to her heavier breathing. He told me it sounded like she was "fighting off a cold" and recommended a C supplement to try before putting her on antibiotics. He said sometimes they simply don't get enough C from their veggies and he has seen piggies do a 180 just by adding a supplement. He said if she continued to get worse within the week, he would put her on an antibiotic. Well, it has been 2 weeks, and it's not "worse." I am not noticing as much heavy breathing. However, she is making squeaking sounds ROUND the clock, all night long even, and I have no idea if these sounds are normal or not? And on top of that - she keeps making choking sounds while she is eating her food. Almost like a choke/hiccup.

This is a video of what she sounds like ALL night long. Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/_T9og0r5Hf0

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
Ty for your thoughts. And ty for the link. I don't think it is respiratory either. She isn't wheezy ... Also, no runny nose or eye goop...

another thing to note... She eats just as much as her cagemate Ainsley. Plenty of pellets, hay, veggies, fruits. She drinks and poops and pees. Yet she does not seem to gain weight like Ainsley. I have not been weighing them. Have only had them 2 months and have not yet gotten a scale. But Julia is noticeably more bony than Ainsley.

Last edited:

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
On the last video you posted all I can hear is static. I am at work and our speakers aren't the greatest. Can you briefly describe the sounds on the video? My Pancake was just diagnosed with an enlarged heart and is doing great on meds. We have a vet recheck on Saturday to follow up and possibly adjust her meds if need be. @bpatters is right, if there is a possibility of a heart condition you will need an xray. I could clearly see on Pancake's xray that her heart was too large. The meds have been amazing in helping her, although giving them to her everyday has been a major challange. Never underestimate the strength of a pig who doesn't want to do something lol

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
The sounds range from a soft wheek to a soft scratchy "quacking" sound, and they are rhythmic, like she makes a noise with each breath. She makes them almost 100% of the time she is in her cage. Sometimes when I take her out to cuddle she will stop making them briefly and make more typical chirps and purrs. She has done this every since day 1 that we brought her home mid February. I remember on the way home my kids and I thought she sounded like a duck quacking.

I will try to get a new video in 45 mins when I am home from work.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The other video sounds were fine. I didn't have any trouble at all hearing them.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
The other video sounds were fine. I didn't have any trouble at all hearing them.
We just have crappy speakers here at work. I am here for 2 shifts but will listen to the video when I get home to see if it is similar to my pig.

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
Ty MLT!

[video=youtube_share;oek--aaGl9E]https://youtu.be/oek--aaGl9E[/video]

Here is one new video - she is making the sounds while she is active. The sounds are a bit different than the rhythmic resting onea she makes all night. I will get a better video of that once they settle down.

Last edited:

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
Ok here is a better video of her resting sounds. Ty for listening and sharing your thoughts.

[video=youtube_share;gwUSEPznFhM]https://youtu.be/gwUSEPznFhM[/video]

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I have never heard a "cold" or a URI sound like that. It certainly needs further investigation, it could potentially be very serious as some possibilities are heart issues or pneumonia. An x-ray will be able to diagnose (or rule out) if she has an enlarged heart or fluid on her lungs.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I second what Soecara said!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.