Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

anything besides coroplast?

tinam5

Cavy Slave
ok so I cant find coroplast. My mom is not willing to drive more then about 20 mins to find a place that sells it and all the places are FAR from me. It is also to expensive to order it. I heard about useing posterboard, does that work? Somone also suggested plexiglas? will those things work? if not any other ideas? I really want to give my pigs the space they need! thanks

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If you are going to be using feece, you can use a tarp or a plastic sheet, or something. I use a 55 gallon "contractor" trash bag under part of my cage.

willowfaery

Cavy Slave
You can also use a shower curtain. You can get them really cheap at the dollar store. Just make sure you tuck your fleece/towels around it. You don't want your piggies to chew off the plastic and choke on it. Do you have your cage on the floor or on a stand? If on a stand, make sure the bottom gratings are properly covered so they don't get them legs/claws stuck in them. You also may want to do something to prevent them from urinating outside of the cage like make the shower curtain extend past the perimeter of the cage and put some litter boxes in there. Hope this helps.

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
some people just put fleece under the grids and don't use choroplast, it seems to work, but it is a bit messier.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
If coroplast is hard to find such as in my case, you can lay something solid across the grids then cover this with plastic, ie shower curtain or tarp then lay fleece over this. However if you wish to use shavings...what I use, I have old carpeting which has a shower curtain overtop. I took a king size fitted bed sheet and clipped this to the cage which then I filled with shavings. Their cage is a mansion...I have 6 pigs now. I replace the shavings every 2 weeks by unclipping the sheet and carrying it outside to dump in the back of my yard. Sometimes I use a wheelbarrel to carry it as it can become heavy. I'll throw the sheet into the machine and reuse. I am planning on changing this method to find an easier way. I plan on going to home depot or lowes and buying a large piece of vinyl flooring, not that expensive. The vinyl flooring will be used in place of coroplast...is just a heavier plastic. Will be easier for me to use a shopvac to suck up the shavings and roll the shop vac out the door to empty. I'm glad shavings are biodegradable. I just need to wipe down the vinyl and replace the shavings. It will save on me having to use the washer more often.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
You could try linolium on the bottom it comes in sheets and it thinner than coroplast so if you are using fleece I would just get enough for the very bottom and not the sides. You could also try plywood with stick on linolium tiles on it to waterproof.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
I also wanted to mention is that I'm really not a big fan of fleece and towels although I use towels in the upper level of their enclose. I keep the pig room a little on the cool side 50 to 60 degrees. The towels can stay wet and with fleece, I found aren't very absorbent and I worry about them being wet and getting smelly fearing it could make my boys sick. I found with shavings, it's much more absorbant and keep my boys dry. I keep their food dishes in the section that has towels to prevent shavings from mixing into their food bowels.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
There are so many options.

-Linoleum; I don't use it but some do but be careful, it puts a strain on the grids.

-Plywood; this works, but put a tarp or something over it.

-Or just have grids; I do this. I have a 2x4 grids cage that he is in almost 24/7. He goes in his petstore cage at night and has the grids all day long.

Maybe you can try this.

Lourdes

Cavy Slave
At menards they sell corrugated plastic wall panels for about 30.00. I used it instead of coroplast. It comes in a 4 X 8 ft sheet.

zachdave

Cavy Slave
Cutting and folding coroplast

I have 2 x 3 C&C that I purchased from Sue and it is great. I built a 1 x 2 loft with the leftover coroplast and it is serviceable but I found it impossible to cut and fold the coroplast as straight and clean looking as Sue does. The folding is a particular issue. Does anyone have any specific tips on how to get a nice sharp and clean looking fold? I don't think the average person without a special folding tool or other approach can possibly make it look like Sue's.

CCcages

Cavy Slave
For cutting in the same direction of the "flutes" (those little lines running down the surface), we use a coroplast cutter, but you can get the same results with a metal straight edges and utility knife.

For cutting "across the flutes" cuts, you use a straight edge or metal ruler and a utility knife - nice steady hand. To score it, press down with the knife only part way through the coroplast. Be sure the knife is straight up and down. Press down harder to cut all the way through, keeping pressure on the straight edge. Good luck!

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Hi, It's been a while since I posted last. I just recently revamped the pig's pen. They have a large play area, one pen has a 3 x 6 grid play and sleep area. There's a ramp that takes them to a 3 x 2 hay and play area with a ramp that takes them to a 1x 3 eat and "chill" area... hehe with a hidey at the end. Due to the big increase in fuel...like others, I'm financially strapped and really would like to buy wall board (smooth on one side and cardboard on the other) to use in place of coroplast (just can't find it afordable near me). But for now I have a large clear plastic tarp clipped inside the larger part of their cage. I use a broom to sweep out the shavings. I was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis so I'm not able to lift and carry like I use to. In the smaller part of the pen I use a towel. I don't want shavings in their food bowls. My boys really seem to enjoy this set up yet they still manage to kick up shavings onto the floor...little stinkers. This pen is for my 4 boys. My other 2 boys are in the same style pen same length just 2 grids wide instead of 3.

Leaflyn

Cavy Slave
"At menards they sell corrugated plastic wall panels for about 30.00. I used it instead of coroplast. It comes in a 4 X 8 ft sheet."

I saw that same stuff at a Menards and my boyfriend wanted to get that, but I was stubborn and wanted the coroplast. =P I'm sure it works just as well.

imlikeojnow

Cavy Slave
im using shower surround. I have used it for years when i built reptile cages, it cleans well, it is cheap and easy to work with. im building a guniea pig cage as we speak cause i found the grids at target for like 8 buks a box on sale. i will try and post some pics of it when im done. but the bottom level will be 4x2 and the top level will probably be 3x2 or another 4x2 havent made up my wind yet. i have two guinea pigs and i think that is a ton of space for them so it will help them out alot.

hairlikeafox

Cavy Slave
"At menards they sell corrugated plastic wall panels for about 30.00. I used it instead of coroplast. It comes in a 4 X 8 ft sheet."

I saw that same stuff at a Menards and my boyfriend wanted to get that, but I was stubborn and wanted the coroplast. =P I'm sure it works just as well.

Isn't corrugated plastic, coroplast? Atleast Im pretty sure it is... Its exactly like cardboard(corrugated board) except, well... plastic.

Lourdes

Cavy Slave
The Menards wall panels are like coroplast but more durable and you cannot cut it with a sissors! It's really tuff stuff you can use for outdoor animals enclosures. Oh, it takes two people to make the folds once you cut it. I'm buying some coro for my rat cage i'm making though to make it easier on me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.