Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Anyone else have this problem?

00pink

Cavy Slave
One of my guinea pigs doesn't use the water bottle very well I've had to put a cup under the bottom to catch the extra water and it's full my the time I get home from work and there fleece gets super wet cause they tend to move the cup away from the water bottle. Any one know what other option I have?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Put a small pan with something absorbent in it under the water bottle. You can make the pan large enough for them to get into, which should help with their moving it about. You can then dump the contents of the pan when it gets wet.

teddybearlover

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what kind of water bottle you have but I have one that's called a "water buddy" it's square and it isn't like the water bottles you buy at the pet store but I do have that problem with my Slick. Half of the water ends up in the shavings underneath. I don't do anything, I just clean out the wet shavings when the wet mark gets to big. I guess it's different for you since you use fleece.

00pink

Cavy Slave
The water bottle doesn't leak at all it's just when Ferrari drinks from it she misses her mouth half the time or she pushes the ball up on purpose I think to drain the water from it

teddybearlover

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah, they do that. Such troublemakers, they like to spit in their water to.

00pink

Cavy Slave
Now I have a new problem.... They've both teamed up to play a game entitled empty the water bottle as quickly as possible... I fill it and 30-60 mins later the bottle is empty and the fleece is soaked and Smush lays in the wettest spot I've tried to put extra pads under it they pull them away and use them as pillows same with dishes I put it I put a glass dish in the toppled it over I'm out of ideas and to make things worse I tore my mcl last Tuesday and can't get down to check how wet things are all day till someone else gets home and I'd have the same issue even if I switched back to normal bedding for the time being sorry for the novel i just wanted to get the whole issue out

teddybearlover

Cavy Slave
Now I have a new problem.... They've both teamed up to play a game entitled empty the water bottle as quickly as possible... I fill it and 30-60 mins later the bottle is empty and the fleece is soaked and Smush lays in the wettest spot I've tried to put extra pads under it they pull them away and use them as pillows same with dishes I put it I put a glass dish in the toppled it over I'm out of ideas and to make things worse I tore my mcl last Tuesday and can't get down to check how wet things are all day till someone else gets home and I'd have the same issue even if I switched back to normal bedding for the time being sorry for the novel i just wanted to get the whole issue out

Check out my thread titled "I'm a genius" You could try that. It has worked for me quite well.
Let me know how it works for you :)

Last edited:

00pink

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the tip seems to be working so far didn't have a corner pan but I used one of my makeup organizers and it's working so far

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

teddybearlover

Cavy Slave
That's awesome!! I'm glad I could help :)

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
I have a leak proof water bottle, its by all living things iirc, theres no ball in it, a little stick they have to bite down on, it took Bibbles a while to figure out but they both drink water just fine from it and I don't have to fill it often at all, the water doesn't get gross because they cant get goobers back into it like they can with the ball tip. i had issues with the ball tip it would literally flood the cage when I had a store bought cage cause I didn't know better, as soon as I could afford it i went to petsmart and got this bottle, it cost me 17 dollars but I have not had one drop leak from it plus it has a flip top so you can just pour the water into it there.

just another suggestion in case you ever need it :)

00pink

Cavy Slave
I have a leak proof water bottle, its by all living things iirc, theres no ball in it, a little stick they have to bite down on, it took Bibbles a while to figure out but they both drink water just fine from it and I don't have to fill it often at all, the water doesn't get gross because they cant get goobers back into it like they can with the ball tip. i had issues with the ball tip it would literally flood the cage when I had a store bought cage cause I didn't know better, as soon as I could afford it i went to petsmart and got this bottle, it cost me 17 dollars but I have not had one drop leak from it plus it has a flip top so you can just pour the water into it there.

just another suggestion in case you ever need it :)

Its actually not that water bottle leaking it's my one piggy purposely draining it by holding it open with it's mouth I've watched her do it lol she thinks it's a game

pinky

Cavy Slave
Make sure you create a vacuum in the bottle after you fill it. Fill it with water and squeeze the bottle a bit so some water comes out the top. While you're still squeezing it, put the cap back on and tighten it. It'll form a vacuum so they can't make it drip out as easily. Also, make sure the rubber gasket inside the cap is tightly in place. If it fell out or there's a gap, the bottle will leak.

00pink

Cavy Slave
Again it's not the water bottle that's leaking it's the pigs making it empty whilst drinking from it

pinky

Cavy Slave
Again it's not the water bottle that's leaking it's the pigs making it empty whilst drinking from it

I have guinea pigs that like to play with their water bottles. They stick their tongues in the spout and push the ball bearing which causes the water to leak out. If you create a vacuum, the water doesn't gush out when they do that. It holds the ball tighter in place so it doesn't leak out when they play with it. I no longer have that problem.

00pink

Cavy Slave
My water bottle doesn't use a vacuum system the ball bearing has a spring behind it and an open top to it so the vacuum seal of it isn't an issue cause it doesn't apply to it

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.