Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Is this too much?

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
I feed my pigs this amount TWICE per day, so double this each day. And maybe even a cucumber slice. (And truthfully this picture might be a little bit modest, I probably feed more some times.) I put a 1/2 cup next to it for reference. Is this too much? One of my sows has been having random soft poop, and random mucous on them as well. But I’m talking for a short time maybe every other or every three days like a couple poops, it is by no means a constant thing or is it a lot when it happens. I also notice it happens usually in between their feedings.

Attachments

C251ED04-1184-4D41-8E9F-3651D5D1DE7A.jpg
It's not too much.

But take your sow with the soft poop completely off veggies until the poop firms up. If it doesn't firm up in a day or so, take her to the vet.

If it does firm up, then add veggies back, one at a time, at least 48 hours in between additions, and see if you can figure out if one of the veggies is causing the problem.

Do they have unlimited hay?

It's not too much.

But take your sow with the soft poop completely off veggies until the poop firms up. If it doesn't firm up in a day or so, take her to the vet.

If it does firm up, then add veggies back, one at a time, at least 48 hours in between additions, and see if you can figure out if one of the veggies is causing the problem.

Do they have unlimited hay?

Ive already tried taking her off the veggies, I did not see any weird poop during that time. I stopped the red leaf lettuce which I thought was the culprit. These veggies pictured minus the romaine are new foods for her now. Well in the past they have had these. They are firm 99.9% of the time, it’s just on occasion in between feedings that I’ll catch a soft one or two. Then they go right back to normal. Just to make sure you read it right (because it might be confusing), I’m feeding the amount above two times per day, once in the morning and once in the evening. It’s definitely adding up to much more than a cup. Yes they get unlimited Oxbow Orchard/timothy mix.

A little over year ago I took her to the vet for tear dropped shape poop, one vet said she has stasis, prescribed her cisipride. After a few days on that I spotted soft stool for the first time. It was Saturday so we went to a different vet, who said it wasn’t stasis, and prescribed her metronidazole. After a course of that I saw some soft poop again, to which the vet said she probably just has upsets from time to time. Both were exotic vets. Since then I’ll notice the poop get a little funky, and then normal.

this is what they look like right now and most of the time.

Attachments

F72EAD21-C537-4376-A0A7-6196B31CB3A2.jpg
If you're only seeing an occasional soft poop, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd just keep an eye on things and make sure they don't become more frequent.

Yes, I understood that you were feeding that amount twice a day.

If you're only seeing an occasional soft poop, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd just keep an eye on things and make sure they don't become more frequent.

Yes, I understood that you were feeding that amount twice a day.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

Here’s an example of a funny looking one with a tiny bit of mucous attached. I already know her digestive system is slow, so I assume it has to do with that. I have cisipride on tap should I need it. She has never pooped as much as her sister.

Attachments

D1503535-EB4C-4CF9-ABD5-1607BA71CA27.jpg
She doesn't need cisapride for that. If that's the only one you're seeing, don't worry. Just watch. It doesn't need treatment.

If they mostly all start coming out deformed, then get concerned.

See https://guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=68360

throughout the day she will have a few like this. Oddly enough I never see any weird ones past about 9pm (11 pm is usually their evening veggies.) But most of them are normal. Her weight is stable, her appetite is the same. It’s just weird!

Attachments

6B1902DB-8B31-4106-8026-55A27CD21A47.jpg
And now they’re fine. It seems to me like they usually occur in between veggies in their most inactive timeframe. They’re usually both sleeping during the afternoon until evening, thus not up and eating hay.

Attachments

09ECB643-8EBB-4A95-BB6C-1F3A6D5E5CDB.jpg
Sorry for a third reply, I just realized I’m being redundant. So you would relax unless they all start coming out soft or deformed, not just occasional?

See posts (broken link removed) and (broken link removed) above.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.