Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Anyone else have NO guinea pigs in their area to adopt?

livelifelow

Cavy Slave
I hate being in an area without rescues. After I moved I spent 2 months stalking shelters, craigslist, and the newspaper for female pigs so that mine could have a best friend. My pig started barely eating, so I caved and went to Petco because she needed a friend now. I happened to luck out, the local shelter has an adoption area there and they had just gotten 4 pigs in that morning (grandson had hay allergy) and so I went home with an adopted best friend, which I was much happier about.

Mortiaryfaerie

Cavy Slave
It sounds like your guinea pigs are in good hands with you. Have you checked at any universities near you to see if they have a veterinary program? Sometimes they have reduced vet services by students who are supervised by instructors. I've heard of people getting great care for their pets from university vets.

Thank you for saying that!

We're thinking of taking them to the vet program down at ole Miss in a week or two just to make sure all of our girls are healthy and to scope out some of the instructors opinions on local(ish) vets. Hopefully they can even point us to a shelter or rescue

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thank you for saying that!

We're thinking of taking them to the vet program down at ole Miss in a week or two just to make sure all of our girls are healthy and to scope out some of the instructors opinions on local(ish) vets. Hopefully they can even point us to a shelter or rescue
You're welcome, @Mortiaryfaerie. I meant to say vet services at reduced rates not reduced vet services but I think you knew what I meant. Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Let us know how it goes.... :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.