Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Welfare Animal Testing

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I just can't get over how disgustingly fake this seems to be. I guess I could be wrong, but the point in the beginning when he looks over at the little tan and white female dog and says her name is "Raccoon" seems like it was just something that he came up with on the spot.

I have quite a bit of experience in dogs and training and behavior and that dog does not seem like it gets interacted with by humans 2 times a day.

This guy really makes me sick.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Just ugh I can't even watch the whole thing the cages those dogs live in...would it really disrupt your research for them to have a freaking bed and more than one toy? I can feel my blood boiling... >(

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
One last thing, not much experience in rats, but I'm pretty sure they don't average in age to be 2-3 years. When taken care of properly.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I think that is a rats average lifespan, no matter how well you take care of them. Of course, that doesn't mean animal testing is okay, it's a terrible thing for people to do.

I love how he sits there calmly blabbing about his "fantastic vets" while "Raccoon" thrashes around in her tiny cell. Then he claims to be testing the behaviors and mental health of those poor rats. How can he expect any rat to be mentally healthy in a plastic box?

Last edited:

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
The small steel cages holding the pigs and dogs, the small fish tanks, the stacks of rats that looked like they live in tubber ware containers makes me sick. At least give them an environment that is comfortable to them!

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
i wish people wouldn't test on animals, i don't agree with it.
thoes poor little ratys living in plastic boxes
that's just horific
feel sorry for all the other animals as well.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
He seems fake. Animals are so different than people, so how could they treat an animal with cancer and say "It must work for humans too!" I don't get it..

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
I made the mistake of liking a page on Facebook that talked about and showed pictures of the horrors of animal testing. I had to unlike the page to stop seeing all of that stuff. Animal experiments are wasteful and unreliable; scientists have been curing cancer in mice for years, but it does not work on humans.

I can't bring myself to watch the video; having seen pictures of animals smoking cigarettes and taking drugs in the name of "research", I can't do it.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
My heart goes out to those poor animals who have probably never felt grass under their feet or sun shining on their back or a cuddle from a friendly person :sad:.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
He's a stinkin' liar. They absolutely do not name research animals because they want to keep things objective, and with a name you might start ascribing a personality to the animal. Laboratory animals are treated like disposable objects, just like any other lab equipment, with no regard whatsoever for their feelings or pain.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I don't support animal testing in any way but if this is real those pigs are in better care / housing than many pigs on farms are.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I feel the worst for the poor mice they are using for cancer research :(

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Poor animals, thats awful. They don't look like they have much stimulation in their cages

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Poor animals, thats awful. They don't look like they have much stimulation in their cages
Oh, but they have their wonderful, enriching toy rotation program (eye roll). I couldn't believe that idiot said that and tried to make it sound like the dogs have such a great life. That poor thing had one miserable little toy, and I'm not entirely convinced that wasn't just for show.

Interestingly, I had an opportunity to go to the Hill's Science Diet laboratory, and they really do have an enrichment program. They have people employed full time to care for the dogs and cats, which means a huge chunk of time spend playing with them in an awesome dog park area (the cats have big indoor habitats) and tons of toys. Hill's no longer does invasive research (I think they might have in the past). Now they just do feeding trials and the like (was quite interesting to see how the food trials are done). The animals were happy and spoiled rotten, which shocked the heck out of me. I wish all labs could be like that, but I'm sure that was the exception, not the rule.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.