Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating anesthesia on an old pig

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Hey all,

So I have a 6.5+ year old rescue pig named Duncan. Overall he's in very good heath but he's been not eating much lately. He's lost 3 ounces over the last week.

We've been to the vet this morning and this pig has always had incisor issues. So we trimmed the front teeth and gave him fluids. He's trying to eat some (mainly parsley, apple and softened pellets). I've syringe fed him some critical care too.

I'm going to wait another day to see if eating/pooping improves. The vet wants to put him under to look at his back teeth if it doesn't. I'm praying it gets better but I don't know what to do if it doesn't. I know the odds of a 6.5-7 year old waking up isn't very good. Is letting him deal any better? Anyone know what I should do if eating doesn't improve?

I'm hopeful since he was voluntarily at the pellets and water bottle today. Though he didn't eat a ton he got a handful of parsley from the garden down. I'll wait another 24 hours before I decide if I have to make the tough choice. His eye's aren't crusty and seems fine otherwise.

I really don't want to put him under. Is there any hope if I do?

Thank you.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Hi there. This is a tough situation, one that I pray I will never have to go through. I would wait for a few days and see if there are any signs of improvement. Make sure that he is getting enough to eat/drink and if he is not then handfeed him some critical care or a pellet mash. There is lots of info about that on GL. Putting a pig of that age under would be tough on him, there is no question about it.

I am sorry I cannot be more of a help, but I am rooting for him!

Good luck and keep us posted, ok? :)
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
I'm going to wait at least another day maybe more depending on how he is. He's annoyed but doesn't seem in extreme pain (he was furious at the vet). I guess I think if I put him under it's basically putting him to sleep with a little hope. Is it fair to wake him back up? Is it fair not to?

I'm so torn on this. He's been my little buddy for so long I need to know what the fair thing to do is. I'm biased. I want him with me.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
He has to be able to eat and it is so hard. I never realized piggies have as many teeth as they do and it's those back teeth that got my little piggie in trouble many many times. It is so hard to know what to do and you take a chance no matter how old the piggie is every time you put them under and with mine as he got older it definitley got harder on him. I wish you well with your little piggie and I hope the vet can help you with any decisions you may have to make, they can be so supportive. Piggie hugggzzzz your way!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Hi Mary, I'm sorry to hear Duncan's having tooth problems again.

What is his quality of life? Is it good, or does he seem to be struggling day to day? I know he recently lost Starbuck, do you think depression might be playing any role in his lack of appetite?

If you choose not to do anything at the moment, how comfortable are you with handfeeding him? How comfortable would he be with it? Have you done any bloodwork to rule out any possible other issues going on with him?

Just some things to think about in making the choice on whether or not to put him under or put him down. He's had a wonderful life with you, I know, but we are never more obliged to speak for and make decisions for our pets than at the end of their lives.

Hopefully he will improve and you won't have to decide anything, but if you do, I know you'll make the best choice for Duncan.

Take care, and keep us posted.

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Hi Mary, I'm sorry to hear Duncan's having tooth problems again.

What is his quality of life? Is it good, or does he seem to be struggling day to day? I know he recently lost Starbuck, do you think depression might be playing any role in his lack of appetite?

If you choose not to do anything at the moment, how comfortable are you with handfeeding him? How comfortable would he be with it? Have you done any bloodwork to rule out any possible other issues going on with him?

Just some things to think about in making the choice on whether or not to put him under or put him down. He's had a wonderful life with you, I know, but we are never more obliged to speak for and make decisions for our pets than at the end of their lives.

Hopefully he will improve and you won't have to decide anything, but if you do, I know you'll make the best choice for Duncan.

Take care, and keep us posted.

Thanks so much, he'll eat a little in small amounts so we're going to wait another day before we do anything and see if it improves. If he doesn't improve then I need to do something since it'll be cruel to leave him as is to starve to death, however, right now he's only down 4 oz so if we can keep him there I'm okay with it. I'm force feeding some critical care now to help him get some water and nutrition. He hates it though so i'm trying to be careful and not stress him out too much.

Starbuck passed 2 months ago, so I don't think it's mainly depression, though that might be part of it.

If things don't improve I guess we'll try for the back teeth. I guess if he doesn't come out then it was still painless for him? Ugh I hate making this call.

He's sleeping really hard now. He's such a sweetie. Thanks for all the help from everyone, I really can't tell you how much it means.

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
I think unless there's major improvement tonight we're going to try the teeth trim tomorrow. He's not getting worse but he turned down all veggies and cherries several times today. He's in enough pain I think to give it a try before he gets too much weaker.

Thanks for all the good vibes tomorrow. I'll update when I'm able.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Sending lots of good, healing vibes Duncan's way!

Do let us know when you can.

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
So we went through with the surgery at 1:30. She did bloodwork and xrays right beforehand to check and make sure there were going to be no known complications. They did find some unusual wear and pockets of food in his mouth so they did file his molars. I think this is a good thing, so I can hope this is why he wasn't eating. At 2:45 I got back a bundle of very angry pig. I guess as they woke him up he was ready to fight the world.

So now I hope he starts eating again, he was trying for pellets as soon as we got home. He might be pretty sore for awhile so I'm going to try not to worry if it takes a day.

I made the right decision! I'm glad he's a stubborn 6.5 year old with a lot of fight.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Good for Duncan! I'm glad to hear he's feeling well enough to storm around in a big old huff. Sending you continued good wishes.

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Good for Duncan! I'm glad to hear he's feeling well enough to storm around in a big old huff. Sending you continued good wishes.

Thanks. He was not kind to the vet techs and fought me the whole way home. I love my brat.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Great news! I am so glad to hear he is doing well!

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
Excellent news. I love his attitude already, it is pretty cute. After having been through this a few times with my piggie and I am sure you know to keep him really warm for the first 24 hours or so. I guess the surgery has side effects of bringing the body temp down for the first little while. Great decision mom!

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Now i hope he starts eating tomorrow, he wont bite down tonight.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Oh, I am so glad he pulled through. The thought of putting one your furkids' lives in danger is one few want entertain. I'm so thankful he was ok. Positive thoughts to him!

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Woohoo!! We're drinking out of the water bottle for the first time in a week.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
That's great! He sounds like a character, getting angry and all. Hoping for a complete recovery. Did the vet give you anything for pain? If not, you might want to call and see if you can get something.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
YAY for Duncan! Great news, thanks for the update. :)

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
Still not eating... not sure what to do.

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
We're still hanging in there but going downhill slowly still. I just can't get him to eat and don't know what else to do.

Is it more humane to put him down or should I keep any hope? I'm hoping he'll hang in there till my husband gets home from a business trip Wednesday. Selfish maybe but I don't want to be alone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.