Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Am I too paranoid?

Enkou

Cavy Slave
I suppose I shall start from the beginning...

My fiance and I had been talking about adding another furry member to our family, for quite some time. The last few months I have been reading up on Guinea Pigs, and had grown attached to there cute little faces and personalities. Several days ago I was visiting a local pet and feed store to buy a new squeak toy for my terrier, eventually I wandered over to the piggies. (I was very excited, this particular store doesn't usually carry live animals outside of fish so it was an odd thing to see) The guinea pigs where housed in a 3 foot by 3 foot wire cage with a plastic tray bottom. My fiance was amusingly watching me make cute noises at one of the less shy piggies in the cage. After some time I left to return to the canine section, while my fiance remained looking at the piggies. Long story short, my fiance ended up getting me the piggie I was making cute faces at for an early surprise B-day present. (Technically only 3 weeks away) It's been three days since then, I've had her sexed several times to assure no gender surprises. Along with myself, three other people have checked for me. She is female. I have been reading many articles on this lovely forum, and several other Cavy informative websites. I have also been reading up on Cavy adoptions and rescues and have been looking into adopting a friend for her in the near future when I finish building her new c&c cage. I never realized how horrible some pet stores treat there piggies until reading several threads, I don't regret getting her, but I do regret not finding this forum sooner. She seems in general good health, but next time I will be sure to adopt if I'm looking for a new piggie.

Now, what is making me paranoid is her general history. Upon questioning the staff later on I had found out that this particular group of piggies they had where given to them by our local movie theater. They apparently had purchased multiple piggies from breeders in the area and had them on display for the premiere of the movie G-force. After the movie they where given away to area pet shops. *cough* sold *cough* I know for sure that the clerk had said at least one of the piggies she was housed with was male. A close friend of mine said that he went to go see a different movie that day at the same theater the clerk specified, and confirmed she was one of the ones they had on display. He stated she was in a low cut Plexiglas cage with 4 other piggies, he also said that there was a possibility that they had more piggies in the back to enable them to switch them out. The genders of the other piggies are unknown.

The clerk had said she was 8 weeks old, and being that she was housed with at least one other male for prolonged periods of time, I'm increasingly becoming paranoid of a possible pregnancy. I really hope that is not the case, and that I'm being overly worried over nothing. I can't bare to think about my poor little Tela and the many pregnant horror stories I've read. I know it's only been 3 days, but if anything happened to my little friend I don't know what I would do. I'm still a new Cavy owner, and there is allot I do not know yet. So, I'm asking for an experience handlers honest opinion, do I have a right to be worried? If so, what are some signs I should look out for? Is there anything in her diet I should change or add? I'm so worried I may cry. Can anyone please help?

internetjunkey

Cavy Slave
I Loved reading your story, as it was very indepth, and I thank you for that. I too, had purchased piggies..until this website...and In my opinion...money will never be able to buy you the affection you can get...and not to mention the great feeling of adoption. Anyway I would take her to a vet, get her checked out, and Basically keep a very close eye on her. If you happen to have a scale (like a veggie scale they're cheep i got mine at walmart for 8 bucks) and weigh her atleast once A week. I weigh my 2 month old once a week to make sure he's gaining the right amount each week. When she starts to really gain weight, then that's a sure sign. And even if she possibly could be I'd start buying alfalfa hay just in the event a preggo piggy can use to addition. I don't know much on this topic as I have never had a preggo piggy but I know i've read up on it...because I also thought I had gotten a Pregnant female in the begining but I was mistaken ha ha. either way, I wish you the best of luck and enjoy your addition (or additions). Just keep a close eye on her for the next several weeks, and Like I said, take her to a competant vet.

And Having experienced the feeling of life and loss, this is the most rewarding pet i've ever had. They are little blessings..and Keep a smile on my face atleast.

Enjoy your Loves. Again best wishes!

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Oy. The piggies on display at the movie theater makes me sad :(

At any rate, if she was housed with males then there is a real possibility that she could be. I hope she isn't, but I would treat her as if she is until it is confirmed. I've never had a pregnant piggy but have read lots of posts about them and it seems as though you can't really know whether she is or not until she starts to show without an ultrasound from a vet. Since she is so young (under 6 months) it is recommended for her to be on a high quality alfalfa pellet or to give her some alfalfa hay in addition to her regular grass hay. You could also give her some higher calcium veggies like kale and parsley. This is what you would do for her if she is pregnant as well. And really, without an ultrasound, all you can do is wait.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Most of the care is the same at this age whether or not she is pregnant.

She needs extra calcium until she is 6 months of age whether or not she is pregant. The easiest way to do this is to feed an alfalfa pellet (Cavy Performance by Oxbow or the Kleenmama alfalfa pellet are the best). KM is available only online. Oxbow is available online and in some stores. If she is pregnant, continue feeding this pellet until after the babies are done nursing.

Weigh her weekly for her entire life. She will gain weight because she is growing. If she loses weight, that is a sign of illness and means she needs to see a vet ASAP.

Read all the stickies here on veggies. This is a really important part of a guinea pig's diet. She also needs unlimited grass hay. What size cage is she in?

She will also need a friend, but wait on that until you know if she is pregnant. If she is, you can keep a female baby with her.

I would guess she is pregnant, but only time will tell. You'll be able to feel the babies eventually. Get a cavy savvy vet lined up. Make sure you know what to do if complications occur. And good luck!

Enkou

Cavy Slave
Oh dear, I was afraid of this >.<
The feed she is currently eating is Nutriphase Gold, the first ingredient is Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, but I will check other area stores for one of the brands you suggested. Today's payday so I will be sure to pick up a small scale while I'm veggie shopping tonight. She seems to be exceptionally picky with her veggies lately. I'll pick up some parsley or kale tonight though to see if she will eat it. Tela is currently in a store bought cage until her c&c cage is completed. I'm having a hard time finding coroplast in the area thats not severely overpriced. I'll probably just end up buying it from here. The current dementions of her cage are: 31"L x 12.5"W x 12.5"H. She has access to unlimited Timothy hay, a few toys, and a fleece lined cozy cup. She has a crock feed dish that locks onto the cage bars, with access to pellets all day as well. Her water bottle is drip resistant and I use carefresh bedding.

I do have one more question. I asked a friend of mine who had owned guinie pigs in the past, she had told me that peggo piggies will drink more water than usual in the first stages of pregnancy. I haven't had her that long to know how much water intake would be normal. Her water bottle is 16'oz and I filled it up again last night. Today there seems to be an inch worth of water missing. With a guinie pig that's 6 inches, 7 if she stretches out, is that normal water intake?

I very much agree, Tela is a living breathing creature. It really steams my broccoli.. (yes I said it, lame I know xD) when people can do something so cruel. Thank you all for the advice, I have been looking in the area for a female friend for her, but so far the only rescues or adoptable piggies I can find within a 200 mile girth are all males, :expressio. I guess a friend will have to wait a little longer. The c&c cage I'm making will be 3 grids long, 2 grids wide, 2 grids high. There will be a ramp to the second floor made up of two bent grids covered in carpet where there will be two grids of floor space. I was planning on having this house two piggies, but with the possible addition of any babies should it be a bit bigger? If she is prego, and she has any males, my little sister says that she would give a home to one or two as I would only want to keep the females of the litter if any. Ohhhh I really hope its not the case. I'm only 23 I don't want to be a grandma yet.. gosh I feel old just saying that. :grumpy:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.