Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Am I giving them enough or too much?

LoveMyPiggies23

Cavy Slave
Hey all... Just wondering if I am giving my girls enough veggies/fruits or too much? I normally give them at 7:30 am a small bowl with 3-4 strips of yellow and 3-4 strips of green pepper, 2 round slices cut in half of zucchini, and maybe either 1 baby carrot cut into 4 strip length wise, 2 grapes cut in half, or 1 strawberry cut in 4 pieces. Sometimes I skip the last stuff and give romaine lettuce. I then give them another bowl at 7:30 pm with their veggie stuff. In the morning I put about a handful and a half of pellets with their salad and then again at night with their evening salads. They also have their hay and water available to them all day. I have 2 girl piggies about 10 - 12 weeks old.

They are definitely eating everything I put in their cage their is never anything left behind, maybe a little hay since their hay holders hold a lot.

But am I feeding them enough or too muhc, or do I have it just right. I am just trying to make sure I am providing what they need, and not starving or overfeeding them.

Thanks in advance....

You could use a bit more variety.

The fruit should really only be given no more then twice a week in small amounts.

You're leafy greens lack. Romaine is great but there are many other lettuces out there. Red leaf, green leaf, endive, escorle and frisee are just a few. Rotating the leafy greens is always something you can do to keep them interested. They should be getting a lettuce of some kind twice a day.

I would suggest also to add in cilantro into the mix. It's a daily leafy green and my pigs seem to love it.

What kind of pellets are you feeding? They can get unlimited pellets until they are 6 months old. If it they are a getting a high quality timothy based pellet you can always add in a few extra veggies high calcium. Two good examples of this would be some Kale and/or Parsely.

If you haven't looked at the sample veggie menus now would be a great time to do so. They have veggie proportions so you can figure out how much you are giving your pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.