Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Allergic to Pigs?

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, I'm not sure where to put this.

Recently, my allergies have been acting up ONLY when I'm holding the pigs. First, my eyes start to itch and my nose starts to run. After I'm done holding them, I put eye drops in to stop the redness and the itching.

Today while holding them, I got hives on my arms. Can anyone tell me anything about this? They seem to shed a lot more than my last pig and I love them so much! I don't want to get rid of them, even if it does mean dealing with these symptoms.

Ugh, I know how annoying hives are...

When you are holding them, wear a long sleeved shirt, and try not to touch them with your skin much. This will minimize the hives, as it sounds like that comes from touching them. Are you sure you are allergic to the pigs? It could be from the hay. You might want to do some allergy tests, as if it is from the hay there are other options to use (Instead of timothy).

Have you change any bedding or type of hay? I got hives all over my arms when I switched their litter box bedding to Cell Sorb Plus.

My Bear shed, had dandruff, and course hair because an ill-informed piggy owner (and I won't name any wodentoads) had him slightly Vit C deficient. I only had them on alfalfa pellet and timothy hay. This has changed and now he is MUCH softer and not shedding as badly, and his dandruff is gone.

I only mention this because it worked in my case, and if your diet is super awesome, it could be something else.

Anyway, I also get hives when I handle my piggies, so I keep a spray-on allergy thing for bugbites and rashes that contains lanicaine and benadryl. Also, be sure that you're not unconsciously touching your eyes or face or tucking hair back when you have your piggies out. My vet wears a painter's mask (she's allergic but an awesome vet!), because she's handled so many.

Also, changing to fleece helped. Disposable bedding traps allergens and a lot have dust that can carry pig dander, saliva, whatever I'm allergic to, into the air. I haven't sneezed since!

My allergies were so bad when I first got my pigs that if I wasn't careful and didn't pay attention to my symptoms I have to go to the ER before I stop breathing. However, this went away eventually. For me, with new pets, it's about 2-3 months. It really sucks to deal with but your body need to build up a tolerance to the dander. You can either spend lots of money going to the allergist and have them tell you yep your allergic to animal dander and then have to have weekly allergy shots or you can go to your local pharmacy or Wal-Mart and pick up some Claratin or Alavert and start taking it. I take it every day and now I can spend a lot of time around them with no problem. The biggest issue I have is remember to take the pills. Hopefully this would work for you, it doesn't for everyone, but Im allergic to ALL pet dander and went through all the testing and the weekly shots and spent a lot of money and I found dealing with bad allergies for a few months is a lot cheaper and works better.

I have bad allergies and get shots once a month because my immunity is built up enough that I don't have to go once a week anymore. I still get hives, but I just deal with it and make sure to wash my arms and hands after handling. I still cuddle with them and I don't really care about the hives to much.

Have you read Allergies ?

If it is the hay, bluegrass or orchard is usually better to use than timothy. If it is the pigs, have they been treated for mites? I get allergic like hives when I handle pigs with mites.

I only mention this because it worked in my case, and if your diet is super awesome, it could be something else.

It's possible. I give them lots and lots of lettuce daily but we haven't had any bell pepper around the house lately to feed them. *feels like a bad owner* Is there such thing as too much lettuce?

Also, be sure that you're not unconsciously touching your eyes or face or tucking hair back when you have your piggies out.

Good idea, thanks! Sounds like a plan. I'm always rubbing my noise and eyes and tucking hair back, so I'll try and remember that.

Also, changing to fleece helped. Disposable bedding traps allergens and a lot have dust that can carry pig dander, saliva, whatever I'm allergic to, into the air. I haven't sneezed since!

Which is also a good plan. I didn't mention my bedding at first because I never had a reaction to it before (nor the hay) but I guess it could be, since I brush it off of them when I take them out. But I only react when in close contact with the pigs.

When you are holding them, wear a long sleeved shirt, and try not to touch them with your skin much. This will minimize the hives, as it sounds like that comes from touching them.

I like that idea. I'm not too worried about the hives because they only happened today.

I have indeed checked out the allergies page, but here are a couple of facts:
1: I don't remember these symptoms with my last pig (May she rest in peace)
2: I haven't switched bedding recently and haven't had a reaction to it or the hay. Ever.
3: Maybe things are just kicking in now. If that's the case, it will be a really good reason to help me convince my parents to help me switch to fleece. :D

This will help you switch to fleece:

One month of bedding: $100

Enough Fleece for two changes, plus towels: $40

Knowing your piggies are living in luxury: Priceless!

But I'm sure you've already read the threads on it.

This will help you switch to fleece:

One month of bedding: $100

Enough Fleece for two changes, plus towels: $40

Knowing your piggies are living in luxury: Priceless!

But I'm sure you've already read the threads on it.

Haha...I love this! The fleece has definitely helped lessen the load in the money department.

I've had piggies pigs for nine years and I have very similar allergy allergy symptoms as you. I'm allergic to my pigs and I deal with it by wearing long sleeved shirts and changing it as soon as I put the piggy back. I also wash my hands and face after dealing with my pigs. My one piggy Gus wound up in the shelter I go him from because his owner was allergic to him. When I know I'll be doing something like changing their cages I will take an allergy pill in advance. I also do a lot of just talking to them and petting them from outside their cage instead of always holding them. Another suggestion I have is that when you have them out for floor time, keep them out or a room where you spend a lot of time. Best of luck!

I don't suffer from any allergies but since i got my pigs i get itchy eyes and arms only. I use fleece. I think its the dander not the actual hair that causes it. But theres no way i will give up my pigs. I wear long sleves and wash hands after i hold them. Hasn't done much good but hey,whats a little itchy and scratchy between friends.

We are having the same issues in our house with me and my daughter. Unfortunately, since it's my daughter too and not just me, we are going to have to find a home for our piggies. I'll probably be posting in the adoption section if I can't find them a home.

Thats a pitty. I started taking zertec today to see if that helps.

We've had our piggies for 2 weeks and both my daughter and I have had red eyes, stuffiness and coughs off and on. For us I think it is the hay. I think the timothy is worse for us and I may switch to all orchard. We're changing to fleece too. Clariton has also become my friend, hehe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.