Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Advice Needed

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Sounds very plausible that she could have both types of infection. UTIs don't cause sneezing or eye/nose discharge. Often when there is blood in the urine it isn't visible to the naked eye and only shows up under microscope or with a chemical test- so that could explain why you didn't see anything.

Hopefully the AB will get both infections. What's the name of it?

Good to hear she is eating more on her own. Please keep us updated! I've been following your thread and am really rooting for you both!!

ETA- I wouldn't bother with the cranberry juice. The AB should do the trick. It is safe if it is 100% juice with no sugar added, but in my opinion it's unecessary.

Angelgal
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

camende

Cavy Slave
I would not use any of the herbal/natural remedies mainly because I would be too worried that they contained something more harmful. I am rooting for you and your piggie. I would bring her to the new vet ASAP. I would also bring a list of the "safe antibiotics" with you. Ask ALOT of questions so you know that the vet knows about guinea pigs.

I hope your piggie recovers. It sounds like you have been fighting hard for her. Please keep us updated.

Angelgal
Angelgal

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
You and your baby Angel are in my thoughts. I am so glad you've chosen to educate yourself so well, and realized almost instantly that the drug prescribed would have been fatal.

Keep us updated.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Geez unbelievable! It's pretty bad when it even says it on the box! I would be on their doorstep first thing in the AM requesting a safe AB and informing them they will no longer receive my business. Good thing you are so watchful!

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Argh that's awful! :(

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'd take the medication back to the vet and make him/her give you your money back.

There are no herbal/natural remedies that will cure either a URI or UTI in guinea pigs. Need AB's. Cranberry juice can help flush the kidneys though.

Angelgal
Angelgal

camende

Cavy Slave
Can't they just call the Bactim into a pharmacy?...ANY pharmacy is going to have Bactrim. You should not wait. I would call them back and have them call the prescription into a pharmacy. Then you can start your girl on it today!!!

Have them also call in a couple 1cc syringes so you can dose her. (you just pop the needle off...it's really easy...the pharmacist could even do it for you if the needle makes you nervous.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
The fact that they told you to dose it with a couple drops of yogurt... Hello, lactose intolerant! I don't have info on vets in your area, but I would definitely seek out someone better.

Angelgal

camende

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad she is giving you happy wheeks and is drinking water! I hope your Angel is on the mend.

You should keep weighing her everyday and watch the water level to make sure she is drinking enough.

Angelgal

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I would go by Guine Lynx. If you put it in the water, you can't be sure she is geting all of the AB.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Post in the medical forum on Guinea lynx. They're dosing geniuses. Putting it in the water is nuts.

Angelgal

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Do whatever you feel is best Angelgal. I know how hard it is to have a sick piggie that just won't get better. It's very tiring on your part and if you feel she's suffering too much, euthanizing may be the best choice. I'd consult the vet one last time, and unless he was very sure he could nick whatever problem she has in the bud, I'd probably opt for euthanizing as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.