Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puberty Adoption tips for puberty boy

Just had another fight and Maple Leaf got bit and so did I. I have to go to work so I had to split the cage. Don't like them being in a small space but it will have to do til the extender arrives.

Maple Leaf is causing the trouble I think but nothing I can do.

I'm sorry to read that Maple Leaf and new guy are still not getting along. Was really looking forward to hearing about things settling down but now they will have to live side by side. At least you have the room for them to do that.

I'm sorry to read that Maple Leaf and new guy are still not getting along. Was really looking forward to hearing about things settling down but now they will have to live side by side. At least you have the room for them to do that.

I'm hoping once Maple Leaf gets thru puberty and isn't so fiesty, I can try to bond them again.

Originally thought Maple Leaf had a bloody wound but it looks more like an abrasion.

They're still seperated either way and seem to be fine like this. Just hate them being in a 2x2 right now.

Both boys are doing fine, aside from Maple Leaf chewing on the bars and yanking on it. New guy (decided to go with the Yugioh name I been wanting to use - Trishula) is doing well, and acting friendly towards me. Both seem to be acting normal and not withdrawn or anything. The extension should be here Friday. Earlier today I thought about how I should have just bought another 2x4 but it's too late for that. I'll see how I feel about them having 2x3 grids each and go from there.

Since they are doing okay like this, I don't really mind it. I do wish I could keep them together, but if this is what it is...then it's best for their safety.

I hope you get the cage setup figured out. Maybe once they are a little more mature and used to have each other close by, they will be able to get together and get along.

You mentioned the new guy isn't a fan of the Oxbow vitamin C cookies. Mine wasn't either, so I took carrots and cucumbers and mashed them all over the cookies to get her started eating them. Now she'll eat them if I run a little water over them and break them in half.

I hope you get the cage setup figured out. Maybe once they are a little more mature and used to have each other close by, they will be able to get together and get along.

You mentioned the new guy isn't a fan of the Oxbow vitamin C cookies. Mine wasn't either, so I took carrots and cucumbers and mashed them all over the cookies to get her started eating them. Now she'll eat them if I run a little water over them and break them in half.

They're doing great since they've been seperated. They are acting like normal pigs (not withdrawn or scared) and they interact thru the bars. They rumble and yawn at each other, but they can't hurt each other. I got the cage set up to add the extension, so today they'll be moving into 2x3c&c once it comes in the mail today. I still don't feel it's very big but I'll see how it goes. If anything I'll just buy another extension later.

Adoption tips for puberty boy

The extender came today. It's a bit of a squeeze because I have to fit it between the legs of the table that Chico and Amigo's cage is on. Maple Leaf and Trishula have their own 2x3 grid areas. Trishula started to popcorn and Maple Leaf is glad to have room to run. I don't like having to downgrade Maple Leaf from the whole 2x4, but it'll do for now.

Both boys are acting like normal pigs and not withdrawn or anything. Only thing that bothers me is that Maple Leaf chews on the divider and yanks on it.

Things have been going well!! I caught Trishula sleeping out in the open today. He comes over to the bars to beg, but he's still learning to eat vitamin c treats and pellets. No issues w/ fruit/veggies. I got a job offer at our guinea pig vet, so once I get settled there I'll be taking him in to see if his top teeth are too long like I suspect.

Congratulations on your new job at the guinea pig vet! What a perfect position for you.

As to Maple Leaf chewing and yanking on the divider, you can put up a piece of plexiglass so that they will still be able to see and smell each other. I bought some 1/2 grid size ones from the store associated with this site and previously bought a large piece from Lowe's where they cut it down to size for me.

Congratulations on your new job at the guinea pig vet! What a perfect position for you.

As to Maple Leaf chewing and yanking on the divider, you can put up a piece of plexiglass so that they will still be able to see and smell each other. I bought some 1/2 grid size ones from the store associated with this site and previously bought a large piece from Lowe's where they cut it down to size for me.

Maple Leaf has been pulling on the bars a lot less since I posted that. They do well with their kitchen side by side so they can pester each other.

Just an update about my concerns w/ the pigs not having hay at the shelter. They replied to my review:

Hello T.D. [my fake google name] We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and share your concerns. We did in fact speak with our Benbrook Waggin' Tails team to ask about your findings. What we discovered is this particular guinea pig you're referring to moved its hut over their hay (this is common practice with piggies), and the water is always on a drip feeder that was being refilled at the time of your arrival. Our staff is very diligent in ensuring our small animals are cared for in the best way possible; checking on them multiple times a day to ensure they have not run out of their resources. Again, we appreciate your kindness and making us aware of something you noticed in our pets. Have a wonderful day, and let us know should you need anything else!

I haven't yet seen Trishula move his hides over hay, so maybe they're referring to the 2 girls. Gimbly LOVED to drive his hides to the hay pile and eat/sleep in it.

Sly was also a prolific hidey relocator. He would go into a pigloo, and drag the ceric pellet bowl over to the entrance of the hidey with his teeth. Then he would lift the pigloo up with his head and shuffle the pigloo until it completely covered the pellet bowl. We used to laugh and say he wanted to "eat in" that day.

Simon also loves to relocate his hideys. They no longer have pigloos, they have dollar store footstools now. He has figured out a way to move those as well, and he does so directly over the hay pile he's chosen at the time.

Is it okay for them to 'fight' thru the bars? Maple Leaf has been lunging at Trishula. They are so peculiar. They bicker at each other thru the bars, and then I will catch them sleeping next to each other.

It sounds like they wanna be buddies and hormones are getting in the way. Not to worry. While being separated now once the hormones die down I think theyll make good brothers.

I would watch Maple Leaf lunging though. He can break his teeth on the bars.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.