Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Adopting a Baby Mouse

MommyOfTwo

Cavy Slave
a friend of mine has a baby mouse she saved from being snake food. I believe its so young it doesn't even have its eyes open all the way yet.

Does anyone have any good websites they can recommend for mouse care? As usual, there is conflicting info out there and I want to make sure I'm doing right by this little guy.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I'm not any sort of expert in this area but from what I gather you will need to feed kitten milk replacer (like KMR). Dilute it more then you normally would for kittens - instead of 1 part powder and 2 parts water you may want to use 3 parts water, maybe even 4 if the baby has difficulty swallowing.

Feed the baby regularly every 1-3 hours. This needs to be done round the clock.

Stimulate the baby to urinate and defecate after each meal. Use a cotton ball wet with warm water and gently stroke the abdomen and genitals to stimulate waste release.

Keep he baby warm. A shoebox with holes in the lid, with padding inside, can be placed half on and half off of a heating pad set on low to medium heat (depending on how hot it gets). If the baby chills it cannot digest food and will die.

Raising orphaned mice is hit or miss. Most of the time the baby dies despite you doing everything right. Good luck

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
I'm not any sort of expert in this area but from what I gather you will need to feed kitten milk replacer (like KMR). Dilute it more then you normally would for kittens - instead of 1 part powder and 2 parts water you may want to use 3 parts water, maybe even 4 if the baby has difficulty swallowing.

Feed the baby regularly every 1-3 hours. This needs to be done round the clock.

Stimulate the baby to urinate and defecate after each meal. Use a cotton ball wet with warm water and gently stroke the abdomen and genitals to stimulate waste release.

Keep he baby warm. A shoebox with holes in the lid, with padding inside, can be placed half on and half off of a heating pad set on low to medium heat (depending on how hot it gets). If the baby chills it cannot digest food and will die.

Raising orphaned mice is hit or miss. Most of the time the baby dies despite you doing everything right. Good luck

This is just a random comment but I find it very hilarious that you'd need to feed cat milk to a mouse. xD

I hope your mouse will be okay!
Uhm, It's best not to name it yet since it has such a high chance of dying, and naming it will make you even more attached. Good luck!

Nogger&Friday

Cavy Slave
I think In some places you can actually find milk replacer for orphaned animals but kitten milk works well. I found 2 orphaned mice and only one survived, they were both treated the same and fed the same things I think it's about 50% chance even with the right care that they survive.
Don't beat yourself up if it doesn't make it, a high percentage die even in the care of their mothers.
If you can't get hold of a heat mat you could always blow dry one half of the box to a warm temp.
Good luck x

Lorvoll

Cavy Slave
Here's a link to a good source for step-by-step care. When I've handfed different types of critters, positioning is also critical and they address it too. Good luck and I hope this helps.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Here's a link to a good source for step-by-step care. When I've handfed different types of critters, positioning is also critical and they address it too. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Um, do you have the link?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.