Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores Actually Impressed with a Petsmart

May I add that, while we acknowledge this manager's ethics, he most likely will not be promoted within the corporation as he is not selling the merchandise as they would want him to. To the corporation, it is about selling the product and not the welfare of the animals. Pretty likely he'd get a reprimand if the "higher ups" knew that he is not pushing to sell merchandise.

This subject is very complex. Petsmart is a horrible store, but one store is doing the right thing. Bad/good. But I'm going to make the most of it and stay optimistic. One manager is trying, and that shows us all that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. We can't be impatient. We need to work slowly but steadily, and then we'll win the race.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
I'll stick to realistic as more productive than optimistic when dealing with the human race and its lust for money.

I'll stick to realistic as more productive than optimistic when dealing with the human race and its lust for money.

Couldn't have said it better!

Pretty tiny step considering they have been selling live animals for as long as they have been in business. :crazy:

And it is only one employee that won't be there forever probably. And who doesn't think enough of the animals' welfare not to order them from breeding mills in the first place.

My local petsmart is partnered with my local humane society (lollipop farm) and all its birds, small animals, and cats come from the rescue where you must be screened, fill out an adpotion contract and be interviewed before being allowed even to handle the animal you are looking to adopt. I know this is not all petsmarts but I feel this could be a step in the right direction. I myself adpoted two wonderful rats from there. It's actually the only petsmart in the country doing this. Wouldn't it be wonderful when all "pet stores" so this for their animals?

Petsmart has adoption options here. The bottom line is that as a corporation they still sell animals.

racmhk, most PetSmarts and Petcos offer space to local animal rescues to display their animals. The adoption comes from the local rescue, not from the pet supply store. And it's not done out of the goodness of their hearts -- they make a ton of money selling supplies to people who adopt the pets.

We got our dog at Petco from Second Chance Pets, which has no offices or area to keep animals in -- all theirs are fostered out. So if you want a pet from Second Chance Pets, which is the best rescue in our area, you have to stop by Petco to get it.

Your PetSmart is unusual if it doesn't sell small animals itself. The one here does occasionally offer animals for adoption (for instance, ones that have been dumped at their door, since there's no small animal rescue nearby), but they do sell the same variety of animals in the store, and you only find out about the ones for adoption if you ask.

Let me a little more clear for those that may have misunderstood. The petsmart close to me is the only one publicly partnered with a rescue.(I could be mistaken, thats what it says on the rescues site) the rescue has its own area inside the store. ALL of its small pets, birds, ect. comes from the rescue. This particular petsmart sells no animals itself. the "dumped" ones can't be put up for adpotion there until they go the to the main office of the rescue and are fully vetted. They money from the animals adoption fee goes to the rescue, not petsmart. The rescue doesn't even recommend buying from them as they provide you with some things for you new pets (coupons for free stuff from online pet supply stores) As I said was it would be great if all pet stores did this. mabe some day they will.

Wow, that's great! Finally, there's an actually decent Petsmart out there.

I wish more pet stores were like this.

Guinea Pig Guru - ha ha.

And congrats about giving him information about the C&C cage. Good way to spread the idea of C&C cages. Not many people I know have even heard about the C&C cage.

Anyway, good job!

Sorry, but I disagree.
There's no such thing as a decent petsmart.

I was not impressed with the last Petsmart I went into (St. Louis Park, MN). They have 7 or 8 boars about 6 months old in the display cage, so small of a space. What was really bad was that the display cage above was completely empty. I mentioned it to the person working that they should split into two groups and she was going to mention it to the manager.

Have not been back.

I understand your excitment! I also think its good that those people care. Its not like they are responsible for EVERY petsmart chain in the world! They are slowly improving, which is good! The petsmarts and petcos around here are terrible, I'm glad yours care :)

I'm not going to lecture about pet stores, since a billion and 2 others did. May I ask, what the treats were called? I know that I'm probably going to get thumbs down for this just because I didn't give a lecture. Oh well. I feel you've been talked at enough.

For people who lectured me on a previous post when I sid one person does not make a difference, I'm very surprised. So it seems that when it's "you" that did something, then it counts, but when it's another person or organization you don't like, then it doesn't.
Not judging, but that's what it sounds like.
Is it a good place? No, it isn't.
But big things start with small steps at a time. I would not praise the pet store, but the manager!

But big things start with small steps at a time. I would not praise the pet store, but the manager!
Have you any idea how often you contradict yourself? Cause what you said in the other thread, where you were "lectured" is this:

Isn't it cute seeing someone so optimistic? No, I'm sorry. One person does not make a difference. Neither do 1000, or more. I used to think so.
Please, do enlighten me - how is it that one person (not even a thousand!) cannot make a difference when they are refusing to buy living animals from the pet store ... but the one who's working for the store trying to do something better than his counterparts in other stores, while still contributing to the overall problem, can?

Our local petsmart is "good", by petsmart standards. They have 2, occasionally 3 young, healthy looking pigs in a cage about 6 square feet (too small, but bigger than most petstores give them). They have hay and veggies daily (though not in enough quantity or variety). But "good" isn't nearly good enough. They still get their pigs from mills. They still sell them to anyone who wants them, while pushing the tiny cages, dangerous "accessories" and crappy quality food. Even the local store that is partnered with a small-animal rescue still sells their own pigs from the same crappy mills. Oddly, the rescue pigs there are in small aquariums, and don't look as "marketable" as the pet store's own pigs. The whole thing definitely sends the wrong message.

Don't get me wrong-- I'm glad when there are employees who know what they are talking about in any store, but I don't know that I'd go so far as to say I was "impressed". Not by a long shot. I have to admit, though, that I question the accuracy of the original post. A manager who refused to sell a product (the animal or the cage) at a Petsmart isn't one who is long for his job.

Petsmart is EVIL they abuse there animals not spending any money on the animals and will twist truths into lies !!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.