Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

5th guinea pig?!

idramaxx0

Cavy Slave
I had to take Princeton to the vet today (he's fine, I worried over nothing) and I haven't been there since September. I walk in and my vet looks at me and says "Oh! We were thinking of calling you!" Turns out a guinea pig had been returned to a local pet store because it had an abscess in his throat. The pet store wants nothing to do with him because he has a huge scar under his neck from the operation. Other than that he is in perfect health and he's a wonderful energetic ball of fur! They aren't sure of the age but they're guessing around a year old. There's a vet there that's thinking about taking him, but if not I'm first on the list to be called. :D I'm soooo excited at the thought of taking in this little guy! It will be my first official rescue (since no one but me seems to count me buying a guinea pig that was starving in a disgusting dirty pet store as a rescue). I really hope she doesn't want him, he reminds me so much of my first guinea pig!
I'm just a little nervous because my boys have not exactly been the best of friends recently. After going through that surgery, I wouldn't wanna stress this poor little guy out with any fighting that may occur during introductions.
Omg I'm just ranting now, but oh gosh just the thought gets me soooo excited!!!

Stef41

Cavy Slave
(since no one but me seems to count me buying a guinea pig that was starving in a disgusting dirty pet store as a rescue).

Oh I'm right with you there. That is why I "purchased" Ramona from a pet store. No body is going to tell me that adopting her from that dismal existence is anything BUT a rescue!

Many people push for you to buy from Shelters, and while that is very important, I can't help but point out that the Guineas, Rabbits, etc. at my local shelter are taken FAR better care of than most pet stores I see!

Granted, I know shelters need to adopt out their animals in order to rescue/take in more....but I believe in many cases, as with Romona and obviously with yours, animals in pet stores are truly in need of rescue as well.

Now I'm rambling too lol, sorry! I really hope you get the little guy!! I'm sure he could ask for nothing better than to settle in with you and your other piggies, especially after all he's been through. :love:

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
The main reason the pet store rescue (that you claim) is not considered a rescue is simple, you simply helped the store create more space to order more pigs to take your pigs place to be treated the same. This also puts more demand for the pigs to be restocked so therefore promotes breeding and selling of pigs.

If everyone quit buying the stocked animals the breeding would have to decrease as there would be less of a demand. And there are other options then to buy a petstore pig that is being starved or sick in a petstore, file a report against the store for one thing.

idramaxx, Good luck with the possible rescue and I hope that if you get him all your boys can get along very well.

Last edited:

idramaxx0

Cavy Slave
The thought that guinea pigs could be found in shelters never even crossed my mind until after I got my current 4 boys. I don't want to support breeders whatsoever but I do agree with you that the pigs themselves deserve to be in a much better place. It's not their fault.
But I can see this turning into a crazy heated debate lol. Yes, I hope I can have him. My mom told me I was absolutely not allowed to bring another guinea pig into this house at dinner. Then when I was saying goodnight to her she brought up the poor little guy and we started talking about it as if it were a possibility. I don't mean to sound like a brat but I'm 20 years old so it's ultimately not her decision, it's mine. I already called and left a message at my vet that I've thought it over and I'm definitely interested in taking him if the vet doesn't want him. Wish me luck!

idramaxx0

Cavy Slave
Thank you Rnd210, I understand where you are coming from. The store has since been shut down, so I don't even know what his fate would have been if I had not taken him in. I've learned my lesson, I've gone through hell with my pet store pigs but they are my little angels now so that's all that matter. Thanks for your wishes! I really hope this all goes my way!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Uhhh NO! You are NOT rescueing if you purchase it from a pet store. Sure you might "save" the initial animal but what about the replacements? The animals that are back breed to replace the animals that you purchased? Many shelters are so over crowded that they have to euthanize the animals to make room for more. Because you purchased that guinea pig from a pet store you not only sealed the fate for the replacement animals you stole the chance for a shelter guinea pig to get a good home. I'm not sure if it passed but a few years back they were trying to change a law that stated that an animal must be open and available for 7 days before euthanized. The over crowding was so bad that they were going to change it to 3 days!!! If we make it UNPROFITABLE for petstores to sell live animals by NOT buying animals, NOT buying supplies and spreading the word we will put an end to the abuse...

idramaxx0

Cavy Slave
This is not my intension for this thread. I've stated in my post that I have learned better than to purchase pets from pet stores. I see posts everyday here that remind me of the mistake I made, but all that matters now is that I've learned that adoption is the best option and have already set up resources in my area for whenever I may want to get another guinea pig in the future. My babies mean the world to me now, regardless of how they came to me.
Now this discussion may continue in the kitchen but I really did not want that to be the focus of this thread. No offense meant at all.

Stef41

Cavy Slave
I understand, Idram.

I rescued my Ramona from a store, and no one will convince me otherwise. I'm sure you get that. So I feel no need to talk about it further. :)

Post back here once you hear something about the little guy!! Now I'm anxious to know how it turns out!!!

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Oh I'm right with you there. That is why I "purchased" Ramona from a pet store. No body is going to tell me that adopting her from that dismal existence is anything BUT a rescue!

Many people push for you to buy from Shelters, and while that is very important, I can't help but point out that the Guineas, Rabbits, etc. at my local shelter are taken FAR better care of than most pet stores I see!

Granted, I know shelters need to adopt out their animals in order to rescue/take in more....but I believe in many cases, as with Romona and obviously with yours, animals in pet stores are truly in need of rescue as well.
You didn't "purchase" your pig, you PURCHASED your pig, and thereby made a point of REWARDING the pet store for treating him poorly RATHER than supporting the shelter for treating guinea pigs well. It's people like you who guarantee that mistreated guinea pigs will remain in pet stores. Yay you, I can see why you're proud of your behavior.

Idrama, you certainly have a perfect username. If you really didn't want to stir things up you would not have dropped this in your OP: "since no one but me seems to count me buying a guinea pig that was starving in a disgusting dirty pet store as a rescue". (That would be because, no matter how you think of it, how you're thinking is contrary to FACT, and your statement belies your later statement that you've learned your lesson.) That said, I'm glad your vet visit went well and hope this little fellow gets a good home, whether it is with you or not.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
You didn't "purchase" your pig, you PURCHASED your pig, and thereby made a point of REWARDING the pet store for treating him poorly RATHER than supporting the shelter for treating guinea pigs well. It's people like you who guarantee that mistreated guinea pigs will remain in pet stores. Yay you, I can see why you're proud of your behavior.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. If you buy from a pet store, that is telling them that whatever they are doing is ok. If you buy that starved, and possibly diseased animal, then they see no reason to change their ways because there is still people buying them. If no one buys the animal, then the pet store usually releases it to an animal shelter. Our local Petsmart, in fact, did just that. They now no longer sell and animals besides birds, fish and the occasional reptile. There wasn't a demand, so they no longer have the product. You may have save that one, single pig in your eyes, but you sealed the horrible fate for other pigs in the future. What's worth more to you? Hundreds and possibly thousands in the future, or just one?

Don't get me wrong, saving one pig is GREAT, but not when you are just making room for more guinea pigs to be abused.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
Congratulations to you, wonderful thing for you to do and the vet that was thinking about keeping him too....

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
LOL People are just too quick to jump on your throat on this site about this issue. Everyone pretty much gets it wrong, but its over with she already bought him and she realizes now she shouldnt have. WE make mistakes and learn from them, let it go!

Congrats! Hope you get him too poor little guy needs a stable home! :D

Stef41

Cavy Slave
LOL People are just too quick to jump on your throat on this site about this issue.

I can see that!

Out of respect for Idram I have dropped it. However, if anyone would like to message me privately, I will gladly (and let me say that again...gladly) defend my position. :)

idramaxx0

Cavy Slave
I was ranting, I was tired, I can make 5 million excuses for why I said it, but I didn't intend for this conversation to occur. Yes, I think about it everyday that what I did was wrong. But as I said it is done, and I have learned a lesson. I don't need to be lectured after I've said several times that I understand my mistake. That being said, I'd really appreciate if the focus of this thread was brought back to my first adoption of the guinea pig from the vets.
I called the vet today to see if she had decided to take him or not. She still isn't sure yet what she wants to do. I don't mean to be selfish but I really hope she doesn't! lol He's just the cutest thing, I really can't wait until I find out for sure or not!

Last edited:

crazy4looney2n

Cavy Slave
I'm impressed that the vet remembered you and was getting ready to contact you about this guinea pig. Good Luck!

cam767

Cavy Slave
Good luck! Hope it all works out for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.