Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet 2.5 year old female piggy is losing weight despite force feeding

mirjam422

Cavy Gazer
Took Button to exotic vet because she has been losing weight. She was around 900 grams at beginning of year and now she is right around 800 grams. She seems to eat and drink just fine but I am unsure how much exactly she's eating since she is sharing the cage with 2 other piggies. The poop sample came back negative for parasites and he put her on antibiotics just in case there's an infection of sorts. I've been force feeding her Oxbow critical care for 10 days now and she has still lost a bit of weight. not dramatic but I was expecting her to gain weight. She does drink a lot of water and not sure how this is related. Has anyone experienced the same issues and what have you done to make your guinea pig gain weight?? She acts fine and not stressed or sick.

Thanks!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Did the vet examine her teeth, especially the molars? That is the first thing to check when weightloss is occuring. To do a really detailed examination of the teeth usually requires sedation.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Took Button to exotic vet because she has been losing weight. She was around 900 grams at beginning of year and now she is right around 800 grams. She seems to eat and drink just fine but I am unsure how much exactly she's eating since she is sharing the cage with 2 other piggies. The poop sample came back negative for parasites and he put her on antibiotics just in case there's an infection of sorts. I've been force feeding her Oxbow critical care for 10 days now and she has still lost a bit of weight. not dramatic but I was expecting her to gain weight. She does drink a lot of water and not sure how this is related. Has anyone experienced the same issues and what have you done to make your guinea pig gain weight?? She acts fine and not stressed or sick.

Thanks!

Ditto what sallyvh has said. Definitely get her to a vet than can, and will, check her teeth. I'm going through this right now with one of my boars, Sly. One of the symptoms of his teeth problems is that he binge drinks. 10 days ago before his surgery he could empty a 12 ounce water bottle in 48 hours. He had his molars planed on Thursday last week and is now off pain meds. He's still drinking more than normal, but FAR less than he was pre-surgery.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
The only way I have been able to put any weight on a cavy is to add oats (plain dry rolled oats) to their pellets. If she is housed with others, then you run the risk of them also gaining weight. In addition, I have often added "natural" baby food to the Critical Care in order to up the caloric content and perhaps make it more appealing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.