Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick My Snuggles passed away, and I am afraid it is my fault...

snugglebug

Cavy Slave
Snuggles came down with a URI recently, and I immediately took him to the vet, who gave him a Baytril injection and Vitamin C injection. As a result, snuggles would not eat or drink any water the next day. I read up on hand feeding with a syringe. I prepared the mashed pellets mixed with some water and a squeeze of fresh orange juice for flavor. I went ahead and slowly administered the food to him with the syringe, and he passed away in my hands. I am afraid that I did the feeding incorrectly, and possibly caused him to choke, or aspirate. I am so beyond sad, I feel so absolutely horrible for him. I keep thinking he was wondering why his mommy was doing this to him. Please no mean comments about this, I really am already so upset, just need some support from other Piggy parents out there that may have lost theirs as well.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Its not your fault even though it may seem that way. You were only trying to provide the best possible care. Sometimes you just never can tell. He could have died anyway you just never know.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
I'm really sorry about your loss. You know what though? It may not have been your fault... Maybe the URI was just so bad that the medicine didn't work.

When I first got guinea pigs, I had 3 boys. I also have 3 big dogs. A month into having the boys I just set up my cc cage. 2 days later, I forgot to close the door to the room they were in and only put the baby gate up and went to get my foster daughter from school. It took a total of 20 minutes but when we got home, the dogs had gotten to the boys and sadly they died. I still blame myself for that mistake, but I've learned. Put a top on. Put signs up so I don't forget again. Put the cage on a table.

The point of me sharing this with you is IF some how you made a mistake in the syringe feeding, just be sure to do better next time so you can avoid this loss again.

But like I said before.... May not have been your mistake at all. May have just been something that was going to happen to him anyway. What's nice though is you were holding him when he passed. He wasn't alone.

I hope you can heal. He's at the rainbow bridge.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yea at least he died in his home with the one who loves him. Sadly I didn't get that with my Star, he died at the vets. Sometimes I wish he would of died at home. Its not your fault like @Zombie Queen said it may have been something that was going to happen anyway.

snugglebug

Cavy Slave
Thank you @Starthecavy123 and @Zombie Queen for your kind words, it really does make me feel so much better.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Oh I forgot to say that I am sorry for your loss. You gave him the best life you could give him. Run free at the rainbow bridge little snuggle.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
It's just awful when a pet dies. I think most of us tend to blame ourselves for sonething we maybe did or didn't do. Your piggy was probably so weak from being ill he may already have been dying, & probably very stressed, who knows.
We understand how broken up you feel. I lost my cat 6 days ago & I bawled so long & loud it's a wonder neighbours didn't call noise control. It never gets any easier. You will heal, I promise. The important thing is to try to stop feeling guilty & forgive yourself.
Do you have another piggy to focus on?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yea I found when I lost star that getting new piggies ASAP really helped with the grieving process, but everyone else is different.

melynda

Cavy Slave
Almost twelve years ago I lost my piggie, Xander, to a URI. I had been on vacation. When I got home I immediately noticed he was sick. The person caring for him hadn't said anything to me about it.
I took him to the vet and she said it was pretty bad and his chances weren't good. I paid the money for the medicines anyway because any chance was enough for me.
He passed a day later.
I spent the next twelve years feeling guilty. Refused to own guinea pigs any more until this past December.
Sometimes there's nothing we can do. You're allowed to mourn and be sad, but please don't blame yourself. Snuggles is over the bridge now, with my Xander, at peace and happy knowing he had someone who loved him.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for your loss, RIP little Snuggles.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Its okay to be sad or angry, just dont let that anger be directed toward yourself or control your thoughts and control you from not getting more piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.