Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Star's medical thread

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Why is my guinea pig whinning uncontrolably?

Suddenly my 5 year old guinea pig has been whinning uncontrolably. And she keeps getting her fur near her bum messy. And she seems to be having problems going the bathroom. I'm not sure what's going on but its getting me worried. Please help!!!

Re: Why is my guinea pig whinning uncontrolably?

It sounds like she is in pain and needs to be seen by a vet.

I agree with Inle_Rabbit - If I were you I'd seek vet help immediately!

There's a lot of things that can cause a pig to whine. A vet trip immediately is in order! Good luck!

Do you think she will be fine till Monday our vets are closed over the weekend and we only have one exotic vet.

Do you think she will be fine till Monday our vets are closed over the weekend and we only have one exotic vet.

No- asap! Like right now.

I would say no. Call your vet see who they suggest you take her to since they are closed.

This is just Thursday -- everybody should be open tomorrow.

Are you in the U.K or the U.S.?

Why is my guinea pig whinning uncontrolably?

Salisbury Eastern Shore is in Maryland. @Starthecavy123 I just looked up exotics vets near you, they are open tomorrow and there's one open Sat &Sun too. Let me know if you need the info.

Yes please which one is it thank you

I only asked because my mom is working and i cant drive even if i wanted to.

I just sent you a personal message with the link, good luck!

Just an update:

We took her to the vet yesterday and he checked if she was dehydrated. Then he ran some tests for parasite and it came back clean. He also gave her a vitamine c shot. Which she didn't like lol. He also gave us some medication to syring feed her called bayril I think. Just thought I'd let everyone know what was happening.

Did the vet have any idea why your guinea pig might be doing this.

If you're giving her Baytril, it can affect her appetite. You'll need to get a probiotic (Bene-Bac, or human acidophilus or kyodophilus) and give it either an hour or so before or after you give the Baytril. Also, read https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html -- if she stops eating, you MUST hand feed her. Guinea pigs have to have food moving through their guts at all times, or they're in danger of dying. She won't like it, and it's called "force feeding" for a reason, but if she doesn't eat, you'll have to do it. There's a video link on that GL page that will show you how to do it.

If you're giving her Baytril, it can affect her appetite. You'll need to get a probiotic (Bene-Bac, or human acidophilus or kyodophilus)

How/Where can I get any if those. The vet didnt tell us that. He just said to give it twice daily. But he did say to give her a little yogurt. But I thaught yogurt was bad for them (any ideas).

I am finding out that I'm having a bit of trouble getting her to take it. I was on my own today and it took me like 15 minutes to get her to take all of it. And I can't hold her head because she will bite me. My guinea pig is a biter and hates anyone touching her face and chin. And because she hates the medication its even harder. Any idea on how to make this process go a lot easier and calmer for her. I feel like a bad person but I know I have to. But she's just an animal and doesn't no better. And she seems to be holding a grudge (lol).

So far she still has her appetite.

No yogurt. Bene-Bac is available at pet stores, and acidophilus and kyodophils at pharmacies, big grocery stores, or nutrition center-type stores.

Follow the instructions on that handfeeding link about how to hand feed. You'll have to wrap her like a burrito and hold her head from behind. It may go better with two people doing it. You'll have to be firm, and she'll be unhappy, but that's the life goes sometimes.

Only problem is when holding her head with my bare hand she will bite me. And she's biten me befor and it does not feel good.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.