Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General What if I grew a grass box for them?

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
I have this litterbox for hay for my wheekers. It suddenly occurred to me that maybe I could plant a litter box with grass, like an indoor lawn for them. Their droppings would self-fertilize it and i could have 2 or 3 of these to rotate so when one gets short, we can move on to the next and then the third and then back to the first so it would have had time to grow back again. Thoughts?

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Brilliant! I was thinking if doing the same but I think you need certain seeds though...

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
I'm going to give it a try! I'll update more when I have a plan :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
If your plan is to have a box with grass for them to sit in and eat, their urine will kill off the grass and it'll end up stinky and full of bacteria. Small containers of grass will be eaten quickly. You'd be better off growing a large plot of timothy outdoors that's large enough for you to grow and harvest to bring indoors to them. It would be a lot less work and easy to harvest. I store my online purchased hay in large yard waste bags. When the bags are almost empty, there's a lot of tiny hay pieces and dust that I empty next to my driveway. Hay started sprouting there so I let it grow. I get a lot of fresh hay for them during the summer. Of course, it goes dormant in the winter but it comes back again once it's warm.

MidnightWolfie

Cavy Slave
I have a large back yard so I don't need to worry about grass, hehe, but I really do like your idea. And I wish you a lot of luck with it!

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I realized I have a bunch of rose of sharon bushes all over my property and they are toxic so I can't let my piggies graze on my lawn. This totally bums me out. I would love to grow some nice healthy grass for them too. i was thinking about doing it in a kiddie pool on my patio but I still find rose of sharon seedlings in places they shouldn't be. Maybe I will have to try growing a couple of planters of grass in my bay window when my kids are older or maybe I can talk my husband into setting up a little green house then they could run around in there too! LOL

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've had grass boxes in the past for my piggies. I never had a problem with them smelling. They did get eaten very quickly though! I bought a cheap box of grass seeds, punched some holes in some kitty litter trays, added soil and seeds, then watered. I'd top up the trays with more grass seeds as the grass tended to thin out after a while... lots of munching!

What if I grew a grass box for them?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.