Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

CareFresh Bedding

D

darlanmickey

CareFresh Bedding

Gud Day! I'm from Manila and I'm wondering if anyone of you knows if there is a supplier here of CareFresh bedding in the Philippines. I have a pair of peruvian and there 3 babies. We have only Pine and Cedar shavings here. I've read that it's a no-no. Please help me. Thanks!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: CareFresh Bedding

You are probably better off trying to find some kiln-dried pine. Shipping (if you can get it) will probably be outrageous. The less pine smell there is the better. You can do a couple of things to reduce the problems associated with pine.

- Air dry the pine yourself. Spread it out in a large bin or tub to air out before you put it in the cage -- probably at least a few days.

- And/or put a generous layer of hay over the pine to help mask the phenols. However, you'll really want to keep the top layer of hay fresh as hay does not really make a great bedding, although the pigs love it!!

Just don't use cedar. Good luck.

D

darlanmickey

Care-Fresh Bedding

Thanks! Is it okey if i also use shredded newspaper (soy-based ink)?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Care-Fresh Bedding

Definitely, just be sure to clean it frequently.

P

pards

Re: Care-Fresh Bedding

Have you tried looking for kiln-dried pine beddings or Aspen shavings ? What brands are sold in your country ? Some pine beddings are actually kiln-dried -Kaytee Pine beddings are (well according to their webpage).

How's the cavy hobby in the philippines ? Do you have a lot of varieties there ?

D

darlanmickey

Care-Fresh Bedding

Actually, I'm not a member of any organization here in the Philippines. My officemate just gave me a pair of peruvians but I think we also have here the different breed of cavy like the peruvian, american, etc. but the one see on pet shops are mostly the local guinea pigs and the abyssinians.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.