Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece No-Sew fleece bed tutorial

Traysea

Cavy Slave
How to make a quick and easy no-sew piggy bed:

Start by cutting two pieces of fleece. Decide whatever size you want your bed to be and then add about 8 inches to that measurement. That extra 8 inches allows for 3-4" long fringe all around.
No-Sew fleece bed tutorial

My scissors have 3" long blades so my fringe is going to be about 3" or so long:

start by cutting 3" squares out of each corner:
I never measure, I just eyeball it, you want it to be at least 3" though so it's easy to tie the fringe together.

I just run the fleece to the back of the scissor and make one cut. Try to cut your fringe straight but if you don't, don't worry you wont be able to tell.

Here is how it looks when all the fringe is cut:

Scroll down to next post for the rest of the photos...

Continuing..

tie each top fringe to the fringe under it so that you are joining the two piece of fleece together:
(NOTE: Tie these knots tight to the bottom. You don't want to much space between the knots or it might not be safe for your pig. If your pig likes to chew you probably should consider sewing the pillow together and then just knotting the fringe as decoration.
When you have tied 3 of the 4 sides together, add batting or scraps of fleece as stuffing. I used (2) layers of 1/2" thick batting in mine:

Tie the last side closed:
(NOTE: see how tight I make my knots together and how close they are to the edge of the pillow. You don't want to leave big gaps. You can also probably wash this in hot water to make it shrink and tighten more)

Finished No-Sew Fringe bed!

This is really cool I might have to try it! Thanks!:)

Loving it!

great idea, thanks! cool way to use up leftover fleece/batting :)

I had thought about doing something similar, but I felt like the fringe would be attractive for chewing.

Doesn't seem to be for my pig, I have seen people selling these online and I can't imagine it's any more attractive than any other corner of fleece or fleece forest.

I would imagine so....but frills seem to be an attractant to my current girl.

Update:

Since I posted this tutorial last month I figured I would do an update to it:

So the two beds I made are still going strong and working great! I did run into a minor quirk with using batting inside the bed. It seems to bunch up in the wash. So after it's washed i have to smoosh it around and tug it a bit to get it evenly distributed. It's not a big deal but it got me thinking that next time I made a bed I would try doing it with several layers of fleece and no batting at all.

So that is what I did this afternoon. I did 3 layers of fleece for this larger no sew bed:

This bed is more than double the size of my original beds. It should comfortably fit two average piggies:

Stack 3 layers of fleece, nice sides facing out and cut a square out of each corner:

Make 4" long by 1/2" wide fringe:

Knot the top layer to the two bottom layers:

It's not as lofty as the one with the batting but it is still comfy. I only did 3 layers of fleece because that was all I had in scraps. I might try doing four layers next time to make it even more cosy. I am pre washing it right now. I will update with a photo of the bed in use as soon as I get a chance to use it.

Just bookmarked this post so I can come back to it when I get my hands on some fleece scraps! Brilliant idea Traysea :D

That's so cute. I'm always looking for things to make my pigs... Thanks for sharing! :)

Post pictures if you make one! Just make sure you tie the knots tight to the bed so there are no big holes between the knots. If you think the fringe will encourage your pigs to chew you can also trim the fringe a little shorter after it's all knotted up and tight.

This is an awesome idea!! I'm getting some piggies here in the next few weeks and am starting out with the disposable bedding (partly because I had already purchased some). But after seeing all the things you can do with fleece I'm definitely going to invest. PLUS this is awesome because I am absolutely terrible at sewing! THANKS!!

Thanks so much for the inspiration and the tutorial! I made one from leftover fleece after making a fleece forest and the piggies LOVE it! one of them is always on it so it makes me think I need to make at least one more so they can both have one. plus more for stock so I can replace easily when dirty.

I used fleece and uhaul to make the bed (fleece, 2 layers uhaul, fleece), by the way and did more of a triangle shape to fit in the corner (it's now under the fleece forest), so I only tied knots on 3 sides

Attachments

20131224_155054.jpg
That pad under the forest is nice what are the mesurements of that? Nice set up btw. Thanks for sharing, Korey

That pad under the forest is nice what are the mesurements of that? Nice set up btw. Thanks for sharing, Korey

@5littlepiggies : thanks! it's been a work in progress but I'm addicted to fleece and love making the cage pretty so it's kind of become a new hobby for me and fortunately hubby lets me have my way even though he thinks I'm slightly nuts lol and the red pad you mean? it's made of a layer of uhaul covered with fleece, layers clipped together with binder clips since I don't have a sewing machine. I used leftover uhaul pads and fleece so I don't have actual measurements, though it did turn out to be approx. one grid wide and 2.5 - 3 grids long (a grid being approx 14in I think). so it fits pretty good under the fleece forest plus some extra length to put the pigloo on it (which the piggies love to move and bounce around all around the cage though lol).

Well I thought I would have a go tonight as I could sit an do it on the sofa but mine looks a little more like a bird nest?! As it's a little turned in . . .

But hopefully the piggies won't mind!! Xx lol xx

They will like it turned in, they will use it the lip to lean on and as a pillow. I shape mine into a cup. Also you can flip it upside-down if you don't like the cup on the top. Looks great!!!

This is really cool! Do you have any more DAY ideas? My local Walmart has a bin that has scrap fleece too so this is super thrifty!

Love it! I will definitely be trying this!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.