Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Flaky/scabby skin?

Bandit2094

Cavy Slave
Hi just after some advice, one of my pigs has what looks like flaky skin or chunks of dandruff randomly distributed throughout his fur, however the chunks are still attached to the skin and only come off with small chunks of hair if I scratch them with my nail. Theres a large patch around one of the eyes that is quite hard and scabby to touch however the rest is more flaky with a scabby feel. Just wondered if anyone though it may be fungal or just dry skin etc? thanks for any help. also if anyone could recommend a good medicated shampoo or shampoo for dry skin that would be great in case thats what the problem is. sorry the pics arent too good. the skin around the eye came out like that after an injury to the eye so originally thought it was injury related, vet gave me fucithalmic to put on it daily but no improvement and since then its come out throughout his coat. also under the dry skin 'scab' the skin is purpleish and sore looking. Flaky/scabby skin?Flaky/scabby skin?

Unicornucopiae

Cavy Slave
Could this skin irritation be from the bedding your guinea pig is on?
My guinea pigs had some dry skin develop during a week that they were on pine bedding (sold to me from the pet store as 'the best' for guinea pigs -its not!), but it cleared up quickly after I switched to Aspen bedding. Being on hay that is dusty can also irritate their skin.
Perhaps contact your vet and let them know that the fucithalmic didn't make a difference - they may have alternative treatments they can offer you.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The flaky stuff could be walking dandruff and if it is you'd have to be very careful as any animal (guinea pigs, cats, rabbits, dogs, people ect) can catch it.

Some info on it is on Guinea Lynx - https://www.guinealynx.info/furmites.html

Or it could be just from normal mites.

The white stuff around his eye looks like fungal, and just reading your post it sounds like you've left the fungal with-out treatment too long so it's spread to the whole body..meaning more fungal to get rid off..though it doesn't seem like the flaky stuff would be fungal.

https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Do you have any other pigs? I'd usually say separate them, but it's more then likely to be too late so It'd be best to treat both pigs.
Either way, he doesn't look like hes that healthy right now so a vet visit is needed to get the poor guy back to being nice and having gorgeous skin ! :)

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
I would take him back to the vet. There's not a fungal shampoo that can clear up what is going on by his eye... that's just too close to his eye. And it sounds like its gotten quite severe over the rest of his body.

Bandit2094

Cavy Slave
Took him to the vet after i posted this and they have no clue what it is, took some hair and skin samples to see if anything grows from them but ive got to wait 14 days for results D:
have also found similar patches on my other pigs now, so have bathed them all in antibacterial shampoo and sprayed them with baephar anti fungal spray, however it doesnt seem to be making much difference as its still spreading over the pig in the photo, the others only have the odd patch, not sure why its not working and the vet just gave me some hibiscrub to dilute down and dab onto the patches but ive heard it makes the skin very dry :/ anybody know what else would work?

Bandit2094

Cavy Slave
Forgot to add its definitely not mites or lice etc as they get treated for it weekly, have also scrubbed and disinfected everything in their cage and the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.