Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Worried About Bloated Pig

katerose

Cavy Slave
Hi, all- I've had my 3 year old pig for 6 months. I adopted him after his owner gave him up when he stopped eating. He's been fine except recently he's stopped eating and drinking.
I'll give you a day-by-day synopsis to make things easy. ;)

Day 1: Hadn't eaten all the hay in his hay rack the night before. Watched him. Noticed distended belly and hunched up under my bed, less vocal, and not interested in treats. Took him into an exotic vet (not my usual one). Gave him Reglan subQ and subQ fluids; sent me home with Metacam and Reglan subQ. Got 24 ccs of Critical Care into him that evening. I also gave him 2 doses of simethicone.

Day 2: Didn't eat any hay; very few fecal pellets. Fed 30 ccs Critical Care with 1/2 apple juice, 1/2 water, and a separate 12 ccs plain water. No interest in food.

Day 3: Talked to my normal vet; put him on Reglan orally and SMZ. Fed 48 ccs Critical Care and 12 ccs plain water.

Today: Going on about 60 ccs of Critical Care and 12 ccs of plain water. More fecal pellets today, but still very small pellets and not his usual amount.

He's still hunched with his fur puffed up, but is now moving around, sipping water once in a while, and picking at hay. I've offered him timothy, orchard, and alfalfa to just try to get him to eat, and stopped offering veggies because he was ignoring them. I've been massaging his belly for a minute every other feeding, but he really doesn't like it and it seems to stress him out.

I was thinking recheck him on Monday? Anything else I can do? He's my first pig, so I don't know all the tips and tricks yet. Thank you!!

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Have you cleaned his sac? Or did your vet? He could be impacted if it hasn't been cleaned. You can clean it easily enough with mineral oil and q tips. It does stink like none other but it needs to be done. If he is having this much trouble you should be doing it every day for a while. There is a great video on youtube if you search something like guinea pig anal sac cleaning it should pop up.

I'm not 100% on that could be the cause of this but it's worth doing and seeing if it helps.

katerose

Cavy Slave
I have not cleaned his sac. I will definitely try either this evening or tomorrow. I just worry about stressing him out, which is why I've never done it in the 6 months I've had him.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Did you give him any "new" veggies, that could have started the gas issue?

It's good that you are giving him water. You might consider getting another subcue, or having the vet show you how to do it. I've seen it really help some pigs.

Unless his sac is obviously impacted, I wouldn't worry about it right now.

i think I would still offer limited amounts of greens. Something innocuous, like green leaf lettuce.

katerose

Cavy Slave
I gave him 3 blueberries the day before it happened, but I don't think that could be it. I also cleaned and rearranged his cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.