Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Stressed out! Don't know what to do...

Rehtnapknip

Cavy Slave
Hello. I have had two Guinea Pigs for just over a year now. I am really unsure what to do and I feel terrible and I need some help.

I have a number of concerns about their care which makes me feel bad for them, and I have considered putting them up for adoption as I feel they would have a better life. When I see all the pictures of these massive C&C cages everywhere, I worry about the size of mine. It is a wooden cage with two floors, but I think may be to small for them. Secondly, they are in the garage and there is not much sunlight. How important are these things? We never used to hold them but recently i have been making an effort to let them out in the hallway for exercise, and I hope this improves the situation. They always have plenty of nuggets and fresh vegetables as well as water and hay, but I worry that none of these thing contemplate for their lack of love :( but they are so cute! and I wish I could give them an awesome life but we simply don't have space to a cage of that scale.

I have never cut their nails either, but they don't appear to be that long... I don't know what to do, I feel like a horrible owner when I see how other Guinea Pigs are treated.

Sorry for the long rambling post, but I feel overwhelmed by this and I wanted to know what I could do to improve it? Would it be best to put them up for adoption? Any support is welcome, and thank you in advance.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum! The first thing I would do, personally, is find a way to get them out of the garage and into the house, in a decent-sized cage. You don't need to have one of the elaborate cages you find here. A 2x3 C&C would be just fine for the piggies. They don't need a second floor as much as they need to be able to run around. A 2x3 can fit into a surprisingly small space.

They definitely need sunlight and healthy, circulating air just the way that we do. I don't think the average garage suits that.

I wouldn't give them up just yet, but I'd certainly sit down and think about what the maximum is that you can offer. If what you are absolutely able to give them doesn't match their minimum needs, I personally think it is responsible to rehome them, as long as you are careful to whom you give them.

You're on the right track ensuring that they get floortime and held and have good food. Don't let what you may have been doing wrong get in the way of the improvements that you want to make.

We'd love to see pigtures! :)

puddin18

Cavy Slave
Is there an option of moving them indoors? It would be good for them to have a larger cage, but just moving them indoors would be an improvement. Its not good for most living things to be in the dark all the time unless they are meant to be. Guinea pigs are not.

It is important, if anything to pick them up and check them out for any health problems, such as sores, or parasites. If you never pick them up, you may possible miss signs of illness.

That long....is probably too long for their nails. Long nails are very uncomfortable for them.

Plenty of guinea pigs have lived out their lives without any or very little attention other than getting food and water....but that doesn't make it right.

It is good you have made am effort and feed them well, but in the end, they need more than veggies and water. They need attention, room, and daylight. If you are unable to make them a priority or really don't think you have the discipline to do so, then I think you have the answer about adopting them out.

If you do decide to adopt them out, please look for local rescues. They may have room for them or will be able to assist you in finding the best home for them. Please do not put them on craig's list. There are too many factors involved that could lead to a potentially sad end for them. Ask a million questions if you have to when someone is interested. If they can't answer adequately or to your standards, don't give in to them.

puddin18

Cavy Slave
@Wildcavy I agree. A 2x3 does not take that much room up. Sometimes we use space an an excuse, but when you make yourself build one, you tend to realize its not that big. Plus, it doesn't replace floor time but it does help when you are unable to regularly give floor time if they have room to run laps and stretch out.

Little One

Cavy Slave
First off, hello and welcome to the forum! I'm glad that you are taking a step to learn how to improve their life and do whats best for your pigs.

Theres a couple of things that I want to address: first is there ever vehicles in your garage? Emissions from them are very dangerous for humans, let alone little piggys. How many square feet is your cage (Length x width) and how many pigs do you have in there. Your cage doesn't HAVE to be a c&c cage, there are lots of members with custom built cages, that still offer pigs a good life, and ample room to run around. What type of bedding do you use? Carefresh is supposed to be good, and so is apsen. I think pine is alright as long as its kiln dried. Please NEVER use cedar.

I hope by nuggets you mean pellets? They should just be plain based pellets, no seeds, nuts or coloured bits, and if your pigs are adults it should be timothy based. 1 pig should get 1/8 cup (or 2 tablespoons) of pellets and 1 pig requires 1 cup of veggies a day. https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html <- thats a chart to tell you what veggies they can have, and how many times per week. Hay should always be unlimited.

Cutting their nails isn't that hard. You can always take them to the vet and have them do it for you if you are worried about it. Do you have a good exotics vet in your area? Thats something important to, because they will need one at some time or another.

Please don't feel overwhelmed. The first step to change is realizing what you are doing wrong, and then working to correct that. It sounds to me that you are well on your way.

3GPigsplus1more

Cavy Slave
Don't be stressed the fact that you are on the forum and are concerned says more about you as a pet owner than anything. What size of cage are they currently in? I don't know where you are but maybe someone from a local rescue can come over to advice you and show you how to cut the nails. There are many people out there that are willing to help if you are willing to accept it. All you have to do is ask. I know if you were in my area Vaughan, Ontario I would gladly assist you.

puddin18

Cavy Slave
I hope I didn't come off as rude, I just re-read my post and it sounded that way. It sounded smart alecky. I agree that being concerned shows a lot about you. Not everyone can admit what you admitted. I don't believe any of us on this forum is perfect either. Good luck whatever you decide.:)

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
The first step in solving a problem is knowing there's a problem. You've done the hardest part. :grouphug:

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
Awwww don't be stressed out! A lot of people here didn't know how to care for their piggies at first! And a 2x3 doesn't take up much space at all! Putting them in a room where you are going to spend a lot of time is great! Ours are in my son's room but I homeschool him so we are in there most of the day. It's also right in the middle of our double wide right by the kitchen so I walk by there a million times a day so I can't resist going in there and talking to them or petting them. You can turn this situation right around now that you have found this forum!

Rehtnapknip

Cavy Slave
Hello and thanks for all the replies :)

I just really think there is not enough space for a cage in the house. Thinking about it I don't see anywhere they could go due to space issues. Would they not be OK if we took them out every day? (by the way we always keep the lights on in the garage, it just isn't natural light.)

Also, I will definitely sort out the nails situation very soon, and I appreciate the helpful comments :)

pawner69

Cavy Slave
Hi and Welcome!! I also am a new piggy owner (only about 6 months now) and I have learned so much on this site and everyone is very helpful. So...that being said and that I am a new owner as well...one major thing I have learned on this site is your piggies need to be treated just like any other pet in the family. They need to be in the house and be around you all the time. My girls' cage is in the dining room (my dining and living rooms are one big room) and we talk to them and they hear us all the time plus they are in the house where it is warm. They are also close to a window (but not right in front of it) where they get plenty of sun. I am super excited for spring and summer so I can take them outside to munch on the grass and flowers in the yard.

I would hate to give up my girls but I think you are definately on the right path. Learn what is the best for your pets in your home and your situation and do what is right for them. If that means rehoming, then do it knowing you are making the right decision for their health and happiness. :)

Rehtnapknip

Cavy Slave
I also wanted to add, would a nicely sized (either 2x3 or 2x4 C&C) cage situated in the garage be better, as long as we regularly let them out for floor time and go in there every now and again?

Thanks.

Rehtnapknip

Cavy Slave
Hi and Welcome!! I also am a new piggy owner (only about 6 months now) and I have learned so much on this site and everyone is very helpful. So...that being said and that I am a new owner as well...one major thing I have learned on this site is your piggies need to be treated just like any other pet in the family. They need to be in the house and be around you all the time. My girls' cage is in the dining room (my dining and living rooms are one big room) and we talk to them and they hear us all the time plus they are in the house where it is warm. They are also close to a window (but not right in front of it) where they get plenty of sun. I am super excited for spring and summer so I can take them outside to munch on the grass and flowers in the yard.

I would hate to give up my girls but I think you are definately on the right path. Learn what is the best for your pets in your home and your situation and do what is right for them. If that means rehoming, then do it knowing you are making the right decision for their health and happiness. :)

Sorry I did not see your message until I had posted my more recent one. I am just afraid there is not enough space in the house, and I realise the garage is not ideal, however I see no other option, other than re-homing them :(

pawner69

Cavy Slave
Sorry I did not see your message until I had posted my more recent one. I am just afraid there is not enough space in the house, and I realise the garage is not ideal, however I see no other option, other than re-homing them :(

Well...let's hope you can figure out what works best for you. I can totally understand how you feel. I can't imagine having to get rid of my pets. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs, and a pirrahna in my house. But I am lucky and have a pretty big house and no kids so it just me and my hubby and our "kids". Well...I have kids but they are grown and live in their own houses. ;) I truely wish you all the best with your piggies and I hope it all works out.

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
We don't know your specific situation, please understand the following are only suggestions...

There are some really talented people on this site who have helped people with their space issues. Not me, I am mathematically challenged ;). If you could think of a space that might work, after some shifting stuff around, I'm sure someone on here could help you further in designing something that works for your space. Would you feel comfortable put a picture up of a spot you'd like to see them located.

We're actually considering whether to foster at some point in the future, but don't have the space now. I have been looking at my stuff with a critical eye and considering what can go to someone else who will make better use of it. I'm working on hubby about the treadmill...:)

pawner69

Cavy Slave
We don't know your specific situation, please understand the following are only suggestions...

There are some really talented people on this site who have helped people with their space issues. Not me, I am mathematically challenged ;). If you could think of a space that might work, after some shifting stuff around, I'm sure someone on here could help you further in designing something that works for your space. Would you feel comfortable put a picture up of a spot you'd like to see them located.

We're actually considering whether to foster at some point in the future, but don't have the space now. I have been looking at my stuff with a critical eye and considering what can go to someone else who will make better use of it. I'm working on hubby about the treadmill...:)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..R5 plus...get rid of the treadmill to make room for guinea pigs!! That is FABULOUS!!!!

millsma

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
THIS is what this forum is all about, guys. I'm LOVING the kind and respectful communication here. :) It's very encouraging.

I also really enjoy how you're trying your best to do what is right for your piggies, and I hope you can sort of some space for them. :) I myself had to move some things into the attic, or donate some things that I didn't necessarily need to be storing! If you could do that, it would probably feel good for both you AND the pigs. Nothing like some spring cleaning!

Rehtnapknip

Cavy Slave
Hello all I thought I'd just say we successfully cut their nails for the first time. There was no blood, but it was a little stressful. All went well though :)

3GPigsplus1more

Cavy Slave
Yay, good for you! One problem solved one more to go!

juliannimal

Cavy Slave
Congrats on getting nails done! The first time my fiance did our girls' nails Hustle sprayed him in the face, lol

We had to rearrange some furniture to make a decent space for our girls. We have their cage on a table in the living room. We had to take the stuff off the table and find a new place for it all but it worked out really well. And most cages on here are sort of rectangular; mine is a square. The great thing about C&C is that you can make the cage whatever shape works best for you. I saw a video of one that wrapped around the perimeter of someones bedroom and even went in between dressers, etc. There is always a way to make it work, sometimes you just have to be creative :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.