Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Very nervous :/

Parasol

Cavy Slave
I'm very worried about my pigs. I got them last year around November. I was diagnosed with a stomache disease and had to drop out of high school. My piggies have been there for me everyday, and great me with loving squels when I get home from the hospital. I'm telling this so you understand how important my piggies are to me, and why I'm very paranoid. My oldest, jake, has recently been less active. When we have floor time he lays down, which makes Caramello upset his buddy isn't playing with him(Caramello being the youngest). Jakes eyes are watery and he scratches a lot. Caramrllo is now getting watery eyes and sneezes a lot too. I've been trying out new bedding-I went from fleece to colored newpaper crumbles, to corn bedding. They showed signs when trying the 2nd option. I switched the bedding and changed their diet. Kibble in the morning ands large variety of veggies at night. Are they ok??? As u can imagine we don't have much money for a vet visit to check if something oils be wrong. Do you think I should take them to the vet? Or is this something I can change?

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
I hope by kibble you mean pellets... because I can't imagine actual kibble being good for guineas. Maybe you should try going back to the fleece and see if they are still having trouble. It could just be the change in bedding. If that doesn't fix it, it could be a URI and they would need to go to the vet. Here is something I found on URI's that might be helpful (broken link removed)
Really hope they are okay.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, I'd put them back on fleece and see if their watery eyes and sneezes go away. If so, you've isolated the problem to the bedding, and you need to switch to something else. If not, you'll need a vet visit.

The scratching is probably mites, and it wouldn't hurt to treat them both even if it's not. You can treat for mites yourself -- see https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html and be sure to read the ivermectin links. Pour-on is easier for newbies to use, and you can get it at (broken link removed).

Welcome to the forum!

Parasol

Cavy Slave
I hope by kibble you mean pellets... because I can't imagine actual kibble being good for guineas. Maybe you should try going back to the fleece and see if they are still having trouble. It could just be the change in bedding. If that doesn't fix it, it could be a URI and they would need to go to the vet. Here is something I found on URI's that might be helpful (broken link removed)
Really hope they are okay.

I mean pellets! I would never feed them kibble, lol!! I call them kibble, It's a weird family thing I guess. But, I switched to the corn bedding. I can't remember the name, but it's helped alot. Thanks for the help! Same for the other comments! I'm going to save up the money for a visit so I'm not so paranoid!

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
I mean pellets! I would never feed them kibble, lol!! I call them kibble, It's a weird family thing I guess. But, I switched to the corn bedding. I can't remember the name, but it's helped alot. Thanks for the help! Same for the other comments! I'm going to save up the money for a visit so I'm not so paranoid!

sorry you are sick, are the piggies better?
hugs and prayers

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
@Parasol, did the bedding change improve the symptoms?

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
Its pet therapy and makes everyone feel better

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.