Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Paralysis of hind quarters, a success story

mshigenobu

Cavy Slave
My 4 year old precious guinea pig, Brenda, suddenly, with no explanation whatsoever, became paralyzed in her back legs. It was absolutely heart-wrenching watching her drag her back legs behind her as she tried to move around the cage. It happened literally overnight. There was no accident or chance of brain damage...NOTHING. She does have a cage partner, Natalie, but they are best friends and don't ever really fight with each other. I was terrified and took her to a vet who didn't help at all. She just said I should do blood tests and x-rays, etc. which cost tons of money. I went home and did massive research on the internet and found an article written by Peter Gurney. He described Brenda's symptoms perfectly so I tried his cure. It is basically a regimen of force feeding liquid calcium to the guinea pig over a period of 5 days. He describes exactly what to do and that is what I did. It has proved to be a miracle. 10 days later, Brenda is at least 80% back to her normal mobility. I am so happy! This Peter Gurney guy is a genius! You can find his treatment on many websites. Just do a Google search for: guinea pig paralysis, Peter Gurney.

That is an amazing sucess story! Congratulations!

How scary! Thank goodness he's getting better. Is it possible for him to fully recover?

How wonderful! When I was 12 my first guinea pig, Petunia became paralyzed in her back legs. It was due to several strokes/seizures. I couldn't bear to watch her drag herself around and had her put down. I'm so glad that you found a solution. Wishing Brenda many more years of popcorning!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.