Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How to convince my parents to let me have guinea pigs?

Fireflies

Cavy Slave
I've done a lot of research for the past couple of months, and have decided that I want to get a pair of guinea pigs. n_n I have money saved up for the cage that I want to get them (the XL 2x5 C&C cage), and I would use fleece as bedding. I have Oxbow in mind for the food brand. The only problem is that my parents won't allow me to have them. :-( I am more than willing to pay for the guinea pigs and their supplies (I will be getting a summer job, too), so they will not have that constant financial burden. I understand that vet trips will come up, so I have a "rainy day" fund as well. I was wondering how to convince my parents to let me have guinea pigs. I'm assuming they think that I'll 'get bored' of the pigs, or not take care of them. That will not happen. So far, I have a research paper, a personal essay on why I should be able to have guinea pigs, and a PowerPoint. I'm thinking of creating this whole presentation to convince them. ^_^ Are there any other ways to convince them that I should be able to get guinea pigs? All help is appreciated!

Owned by cavy

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you're going about this in a really responsible way, already. I'm not sure that you really need to do much else. I would suggest that if you have other animals in the house, you take over responsibility for them for a set period of time (at least a couple of weeks, maybe more a couple of months) to demonstrate that you'll be willing to take care of the guinea pigs even if you're sick, or if you've got a big school assignment coming up or a date/party/dance or something like that that's on your mind. When I was a teenager, I would have been so easily distracted that I wouldn't have been able to take care of anything for more than a month or two, so going out of your way to demonstrate how well you'll do may help.

If you don't have any other animals, maybe you could take on the laundry for the household or the dishes to do in addition to keeping your room clean and your grades up. That might help as well. I like how much research you've done and how you have a vet fund set up and everything, so I think that with your essay, PowerPoint and a research paper, you're going to make a huge impact. But, if they really don't want you to have one, you're going to have to sweeten the deal. I would suggest that you offer to take on a permanent household job, so you can earn extra money and have a constant source of income even after you have to quit your summer job and everything. Since your guinea pigs will constantly cost money, your parents are going to be worried about constantly having to spend money. If you give them a permanent way for you to earn money, they'll likely feel better about it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Doing your research and presenting that is very good.

Just remember that your parents need to be on-board with the cons of guinea pig ownership as well. Lay out the costs of food,cage, and accessories. You can call around to nearby exotics vets (make sure they are familiar with guineas) and ask about exam costs and the estimated prices of common procedures. Guinea pigs will most certainly need vet care in their 5-7 year lifespan.

The costs could be lessened by a willingness on your part to babysit, rake leaves, and other such jobs. If vet costs are a concern in your family, that is.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
You said you assume they think you get bored have you actually asked your parents the reason for not allowing you to have guinea pigs? Then you would know what to do to convince them you are ready.

Fireflies

Cavy Slave
I'd like to thank all of you for your help and suggestions! My parents are also worried about the smell of the guinea pigs, but I explained to them about cleaning the cage (spot-cleaning, weekly cleaning, etc).

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Right. It's not the guinea pigs that smell but the bedding if not cleaned regularly.

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
I've found a big difference in switching to fleece bedding instead of care fresh. The only thing I do smell is hay - and that smells awesome.

I would make sure your parents are good with the choice. I had the same problem and waited until I moved into my own apartment before adopting my girls - definitely worth the wait!

Fireflies

Cavy Slave
I was planning on using fleece. It just seems more practical.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
You could show your parents things on this site too, if they have questions. There are lots of references to fleece as bedding, how it doesn't smell, rarely clogs the washer etc.

Lucille

Cavy Slave
Are there any other ways to convince them that I should be able to get guinea pigs? All help is appreciated!
Many parents worry that if their son or daughter gets a pet, and then gets busy that they will have to be responsible for cleaning and feeding. It sounds as if you are responsible, but that may be one of their worries. Do you have a really reliable friend that could come help out if you get really busy?

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
Tell them you want the opportunity to show them how much they have taught you about being a responsible person. But before you do make sure you get that they live for 5-8 years on the norm. are you really up for that type of a commitment?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Tell them you want the opportunity to show them how much they have taught you about being a responsible person. But before you do make sure you get that they live for 5-8 years on the norm. are you really up for that type of a commitment?

I think that is a good idea, but I do not think of giving people animals so they can show that they are responsible is a good idea.

Fireflies

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone, for your help. :D I'm going to talk to my parents again tonight. *crosses fingers*

Fireflies

Cavy Slave
:-DDD I went to Petco with my dad to see the guinea pigs, and he remarked that they were "cute". He kind of stood there and watched them for a couple of minutes, and thought they were "funny". In my book, this is extreme progress.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Ok but please adopt don't shop!

When I was a kid I had tons of critters. If my parents wouldn't let me have one I'd go out and find some, like mice, frogs, turtles, and such. LOL I was scooping poop out of my dogs kennel on a daily basis from the time I was 7. I loved all my animals and I dearly miss the ones that are gone! Some kids/teens are great with animals and need them to get them through their tough times. But yes definitely think about where you are going to be in 5,6,7+ years. Because many colleges won't allow small pets on campus or in the dorms and such. We've had a number of teen come on here who were burdened with the reality of having to decide to leave their guinea pigs with their uncaring siblings/parents or rehoming them at an old age. Both are very sad. If you are going to be social and out and about with cheerleading, track, basketball what have you then it might be best to hold off and do it in the future and save the money you have not for fun. This is very similar to the decision of having a baby because your guinea pigs are very dependent on YOU.

Fireflies

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the helpful insight. :) The college I'm going to is local, so I'll still be living in my home for at least five more years. I don't do many after school things, so I have a good amount of free time. My dad is slowly warming up to the idea of having guinea pigs, so I'm thrilled. :p

Fireflies

Cavy Slave
Good news: my dad is letting me get guinea pigs. 8D I'll probably be getting them either over spring break, or over the summer. Hard work actually does pay off when you're persistent enough.

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Dont forget to adopt though! Pet store piggies have many health problems and it is overall much better to adopt to ensure that they have caring homes.

Fireflies

Cavy Slave
Yes, I'm going to try to adopt. :D I'm happy that I was able to convince my parents.

MicheleB

Cavy Slave
hows the guinea pigs.....you have some yet

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.