Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Your views on breeding

Solebomber

Cavy Slave
" Before we all go into what has been written in this thread alone a million times before hadn't we better ask this person why they decided to post a pro breeding statement on an anti breeding thread/forum/website?"

Thats the real question, regardless of ones point of view you don't bring up a "probreeding" topic on a "Anti-Breeding forum unless your looking controversy. There are plenty of Breeding/Showing forums for those topics.

Spiffy'n'Spunky

Cavy Slave
I believe the title of the thread is "Your Views on Breeding" I was merely stating my view. I am one of the very few who has the opposite opinion, but it is my opinion.

Solebomber

Cavy Slave
Spiffy'n'Spunky said:
I believe the title of the thread is "Your Views on Breeding" I was merely stating my view. I am one of the very few who has the opposite opinion, but it is my opinion.

Maybe not as few as you think ;)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
"Maybe not as few as you think"

Clearly, the vast majority of the non-animal welfarists think breeding is fine. You are the majority. Sadly, in the minority is the progressive, real animal welfarists who truly understand the issues of animal overpopulation and have the depth of vision and empathy that 'get' that breeding pets is wrong. Your other forums await you.

Solebomber

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit said:
"Maybe not as few as you think"

Clearly, the vast majority of the non-animal welfarists think breeding is fine. You are the majority. Sadly, in the minority is the progressive, real animal welfarists who truly understand the issues of animal overpopulation and have the depth of vision and empathy that 'get' that breeding pets is wrong. Your other forums await you.

Yes, that is very true

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
The name of the thread is 'you views on breeding' but the original question was not 'what' are your views but 'why' are your views which is very different. This thread was not put here to invite breeders to try to justify themselves but to educate the person that asked why the forum is anti breeding and to educate anyone else along the way.
(This next statement is not aimed at anybody by the way).
I realise that i havn't been here as long as some other people so havn't had to put up with it as long but i'm really getting sick of people coming to the site and trying to justify breeding, especcially since the entire site has ANTI BREEDING written on it in big letters. I mean thats pretty idiot proof! Why do people do it when they know what kind of reaction they are going to get? (Again this is not aimed at anybody, i'm just venting frustration on the entire matter..... rant over).

Spiffy'n'Spunky

Cavy Slave
First of all I am saying that I am part of the minority of this forum, not the world. I expressed my view on breeding and why.( and by the way I joined this site to learn to build a bigger and happier environment for my pigs, but happen to stumble across this thread) I do not think people should go to breeders first to find a new pig, they should by all means go to a rescue, which I did visit my local Humane Society and they had no piggies in, before going to a breeder who I found through my work. Second, I love cavies just as much as the next person on this forum and hate to hear about tragic breeders, but there are just some stupid people who dont know any better, but that doesnt mean that every single breeder is a horrible person. I am not supporting breeding but I am just angered at the way you catagorize all breeders as bad people and are so quick to judge a person with an opinion other than your own.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
But this forum was made to service the world wide minority of anti-breeding/showing people. There are plenty of pro-breeding or even neutral sites of visit. All the anti-breeding crowd really has is Cavy Cages, Guinea Lynx and The Pigloo. These places fill a need. If that need is not your need then you should go where you are best serviced.

That's like going to a Macintosh forum when you run a PC, and then complaining that you are an underserviced minority. Well, duh.

I love when people wouldn't think of doing such things on a sports, computer or other object/concept related site, but can't grasp that anti breeder means no breeders need apply.

The problem with breeders is not that they are evil mean people as a whole. We are not judging them as people. We are saying they are contributing to a problem. Much in the same way that people who polute, or waste water are part of a problem. They maybe nice good people, but they are still doing something that makes the world a not so nice place.

And many on here would feel that you should have waited to get a piggie. I really really wanted a long haired piggie. I could have swung down to PJ's and bought a "pure" Purvian easy. But instead I waited months untill I saw just the right piggie on GL. He's an abyruvian, but he's my Skunker Boy and I would take him over any pure bread any day.

Spiffy'n'Spunky

Cavy Slave
I understand where you all are coming from and do support your efforts, just not as strongly. I enjoy talking to everybody on this forum. I was merely stating my feelings, not intentionally trying to cause conflict. Also, incase anybody wanted to know, my one piggie, Boo-Boo, was a rescue in a way: His mother had a stroke (and is now a retired sow, please dont get on me about the breeding issue, I only want to tell you about Boo) during pregnancy. She had to have a C-section. I work at the vet and gave our head "Piggie vet" strict instructions to call me for any and all piggie emergencies. Well @ around 2 am I come in to help deliver these babies. One of which is Boo-Boo. He ended up having some severe respiratory distress and I sat there for two or three hours stimulating him, giving him oxygen ect. I felt such a strong connection with him, I had to have him. As for my other piggie, I really wanted a friend for Boo so I checked the HS, nothin, so I asked Mrs. Laity if she had any other "needy" piggies, and ended up with Yogi, who had a little bit of a listing problem, but that has resolved itself. So case and point I am all for rescues/adoption, but there are some, rather is one, breeder I do support.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Spiffy 'n' spunky: Sorry if you mis understood me in my previous post but I was not agreeing with you.

Pamziaw asked why you would post about breeding on an anti breeding website. I merely told him/her why. That was all.

In my previous post I stated my own opinion. Why would she breed her beloved ''pets'', risking their lives? I strongly feel that america should adress its overpopulation problem first, instead of adding to it. They are only adding to the problem.

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
It is not the person who we hate, its their actions. I got my fudge from my aunt who bred them, i found the forum too late and had to take fudge to the vet with mites within a month of having him, thanks to cavy cages i nipped it in the bud and he wasn't harmed (you wouldn't know from the amount of noise he made when they injected him though). Now I really really liked that side of the family until i realised what my aunt was doing and now i find it very difficult to talk to her about piggies as from here i know so much more than she does but have been keeping piggies for only a short while and am like 1/2 her age. I detest her actions but i do not detest her. The irony is that if i told her that chances are she would detest me and i'd cause a massive family fued. Fortunatly she isn't breeding anymore which im glad about but im keeping an eye on her to try to dissuade her from considering it again.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Spiffy, I could see your p.o.v. until you mentioned the story of Boo Boo. As great as it is that you helped deliver him, etc, that's just the point: if that breeder wasn't breeding, the sow wouldn't have had a stroke and Boo Boo wouldn't have been at the risk of dying. They endanger the lives of their animals, when there are so many other, healthy animals who need homes and are stuck at shelters. I'm sure if you had waited a bit longer or looked around more, a piggie would have made its way to you somehow.

Spiffy'n'Spunky

Cavy Slave
I know if I would have waited a piggie would have come around ( I go to the shelter every weekend and check still, just in case I feel like getting another friend for my duo) but unfortunately I am just about the most impatient person ever, very bad characteristic I know. I know Boo's mom wouldn't have had the stroke if she hadn't been bred, ( she was in the office today and is doing great by the way :) yay!) I just want to say that I agree with you and can hope that this breeder will stop, but there isn't a whole lot I can do. I just don't want to continue causing conflict.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Spiffy'n'Spunky said:
I just want to say that I agree with you and can hope that this breeder will stop, but there isn't a whole lot I can do.
I'm glad you see our point of view. You are wrong in one aspect. You state that you want her to stop breeding but you don't feel there is anything you can do. In that statement you are wrong.

To help get her to stop breeding you can

-never buy from her again. That includes taking any free or special needs GPs off her hands. SHE bred, them SHE needs to have the responsibility. The only exception would be if she agreed to pay for all vet and special need requirements for the special pig you take.

-Stop defending her as a "good breeder". Right now there is no such thing. She can be the sweetest person in the world and take exceptional care of her animals but she is still feeding into the overpopulation problem for financial gain and a few ribbons when she shows/sells. She's in it for her own gain and glory. If you look at it that way does she still seem like such a good breeder?

-Let other people know about rescuing. Steer them away from pet shops and breeders. If breeders have no one to buy their animals then they will stop breeding. It's a "starve them out" technique.

LovesCavies

Cavy Slave
please don't get mad over this, I realize this is an anti breeding . But this probly the BEST Guinea Pig info site there is, so there is going to be alot of differing oppinions. Just thought I would throw this out there. What if no one bred them ? In 4-7 years they could be all gone. So really who should breed and when ? Please don't attack me. I do understand the realness of the overpopulation problem . But I am interested the responese this will get.

Hansel

Cavy Slave
The problem I see with what you have brought up Lovescavies is this: there is no "responsible breeder" certificate that one must aquire before breeding GPs or any pets for that matter. Hypothetically if no one were to breed for 4-7 years much of the population would be gone. The thing is that most "breeders" breed for monitary reasons. The majority of breeders dont have the basic knowledge of guinea pig care. Backyard breeders are horrible too. In a perfect world breeding would be done responsibly, all piggy owners would treat their pigs like the royalty that they are, and each pig that was born they would have a good home PRIOR to even being born.

All we can do is educate the people that dont nkow any better and hope that they have an open mind and are willing to take our advice...too bad thats easier siad than done. Read this for proof https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14378

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Over 100, 000 guinea pigs are euthanised every single year in america alone. I think this answers your question:

[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]"But, if no one breeds, the species will die out in 7 years!"[/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica] Extinction of the species--People try to pass this off as an argument to justify breeding

If NO ONE were to breed guinea pigs? On what planet would that happen? Not this one. Let's talk in terms of the reality of today. This is not a theoretical problem. It's a fact of life now.
This issue is about YOU. Right here, right now, making a decision to be part of the solution or part of the problem.
YOU breeding a pair of guinea pigs is not going to save the world from extinction of the Cavia Porcellus species (no chance of that because it's not an issue). But, YOU breeding guinea pigs means one or more might die in shelter for lack of a home.

https://cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm[/FONT]

lorry

Cavy Slave
Way back on like page 2, Pig Granny was talking about her child's bratty behavior and not being able to change personalities. That burns my bum! I have 2 kids and here's my advice:

As for the child's behavior, YOU are the parent. If the parents are not PARENTING, then they are just the tallest people in the house!!

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
lorry said:
As for the child's behavior, YOU are the parent. If the parents are not PARENTING, then they are just the tallest people in the house!!

Just had to say....I LOVE THIS!!

DaisyGP

Cavy Slave
lorry said:
Way back on like page 2, Pig Granny was talking about her child's bratty behavior and not being able to change personalities. That burns my bum! I have 2 kids and here's my advice:

lorry, that's true. And yeah, they would be just the tallest person in the house, wouldn't they?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.