Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Does scratching = fleas?

mama_

Cavy Slave
I just adopted my piggies today. They seem to scratch a lot (like dogs do with their hind legs). Is this normal? They don't do it constant but about once an hour or so. They also twitch sometimes and/or shake their heads like wet dogs do. This is my first time owning piggies so I'm not sure what all this means. The twitch may just be them popcorning. They do it while running around the cage. They haven't let me pick them up yet so I can't just search their fur for fleas. How can I tell if they have fleas or not?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
No.
If they are obsessively scratching they may have mites. Scratches here and there are perfectly fine. "twitching" popcorning, occasional head shaking is all normal. What is this "twitching" you're seeing? Is it like this? If so, perfectly normal. It means they're happy.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
They will never "let" you pick them up. You just do it.

However, it's doubtful they have fleas. They could have lice or mites, though. You will want to hold them and check them all over for hair loss, bald spots, or dandruff.

mama_

Cavy Slave
They will never "let" you pick them up. You just do it.

However, it's doubtful they have fleas. They could have lice or mites, though. You will want to hold them and check them all over for hair loss, bald spots, or dandruff.

Hmmm...ok so I need to be more assertive with them. I was giving them their space because I was afraid I'd scare them too much by just grabbing them since I'm a stranger.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I only had 1 guinea pig that would willingly let me pick him up. But he was very closely bonded with me.

Both of my girls will run from us. Korra tolerates it, but sometimes runs off too.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
I would go ahead and treat for lice/mites, it's the same treatment and it wouldn't hurt. I know that me and a bunch of my friends pigs have all had lice this year and it went unnoticed for all of us for a while and it made us feel like awful owners.

I've had pigs for 9 years, I've had 6 pigs and only 2 have ever let me just pick them up. Everyone else always ran away like I was trying to murder them even after having them for many years. They are prey animals they don't like to be picked up.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt they've got fleas, but if they do, you can see the flea dirt on them just like you can on a dog or cat. And you can see the fleas crawling through their fur.

If they've mites, they'll be doing serious scratching, more than once an hour. You can't see mites because they burrow under the skin, so if you ever happen to take them to the vet and s/he wants to do a skin scraping for mites, skip it. It hurts the pig and your pocketbook, and is wrong at least half the time. Even if they don't find mites, they treat anyway, so you might as well spare the pig the agony.

They may have dry skin, but you'll find a few flakes of it after you've had them for a few days if that's the case.

We need pictures...

The twitch certainly sounds like popcorning -- it's pretty distinctive.

To make it easier to catch them, put a box (holes cut in the ends) or small tunnel in the cage and shoo them in. Put your hands over the openings, and lift the whole thing out of the cage. It's way easier than trying to grab them.

mama_

Cavy Slave
To make it easier to catch them, put a box (holes cut in the ends) or small tunnel in the cage and shoo them in. Put your hands over the openings, and lift the whole thing out of the cage. It's way easier than trying to grab them.

Thanks for the advice. I tried catching Michael last night and he started chattering his teeth at me. :(

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mama, where did you adopt your guinea pigs from?

mama_

Cavy Slave
I clicked the 'Adopt a Guinea Pig' tab on here and typed in my zip code and found an ad for them. They weren't from a rescue or anything just a woman who adopted them from a family who she said had no idea how to take care of them. I'm honestly not sure she did either. She had them for two months and they were still in their original, tiny cage and weren't given any hay. She gave me all their leftover food and bedding. The food looked like fruit loops with seeds in it. I asked what their favorite food was and she said broccoli so I know they at least got some vegetables but I'm not sure how much and how often.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I clicked the 'Adopt a Guinea Pig' tab on here and typed in my zip code and found an ad for them. They weren't from a rescue or anything just a woman who adopted them from a family who she said had no idea how to take care of them. I'm honestly not sure she did either. She had them for two months and they were still in their original, tiny cage and weren't given any hay. She gave me all their leftover food and bedding. The food looked like fruit loops with seeds in it. I asked what their favorite food was and she said broccoli so I know they at least got some vegetables but I'm not sure how much and how often.
Ah yes, then definitely ditto to what Lis said. Treat with Ivermectin, absolutely no question. I can't hurt and will probably help.

mama_

Cavy Slave
So treating them with Ivermectin would rid them of any possible mites AND fleas?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes to both.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.