Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeding "Confession" from CavyLover12 about breeding her pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
CavyLover12
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
CavyLover12

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Re: why does my guinea pig

Well, I have something to confess. I know everybody will say, don't do it! But anyways, I'm breeding my male with my female and I am taking full responsibility of the babies. I will be keeping every single baby. I know the risks and the possibility of having 8 but I'm taking full charge. He plays in with her , yet still tries to escape. He's sitting on my bed right now and he's trying to escape still. Please dont say I'm horrible because Im breeding.

There is a huge risk that both the mother & babies will die. Around 1 in 5 sows die due to breeding. I assume you also have knowledge in genetic diseases such as lethal whites, born blind, deaf often without teeth & require handfeeding for their whole lives?

I'm sure you are aware of the many expensive vet costs you will pay, have a big vet fund in place and have a vet to call in case she needs a C-section in the middle of the night, which you will be able to spot in time?

I'm sure you have the cage for all babies, as you currently can't provide a properly sized cage for the three pigs you currently have? And that you know that for every life you put into this world overpopulated with cavies, another guinea pig dies in a shelter, and another one is denied because it's full.

Please read though these links, and for the sake of your pigs, don't put their lives at risk for your own selfish needs.
https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html
[URL]https://www.cavyspirit.com/responsiblebreeder.htm
[/URL]

CavyLover12
CavyLover12

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave

I'm very aware. I know about pregnancy toxemia. I have a Piggie I 100% know is capable of breeding. I know many stories with people having successful litters. I have three cages the same size as the one I told you about. Trust me, I have five water bottles all together and nice bedding and a bale of Timothy hay. I've researched almost everything I can. I'm sorry I'm replying slow, my male is making a fuss on my bed.

Your cages are too small even for one pig, and you didn't answer the question about a vet fund, a couple of hundreds for each pig, and each possible baby that might need immediate vet care.

And as there is a 25% risk that the sow dies, you actually "knowing what you are doing" can still result in an unnecessary, painful death.

You are breeding, putting your pigs life at risk for your on selfish reasons.
These pigs look to us for all their decisions as they cannot consent, you are knowingly risking their life, and future babies that this world certainly doesn't need with the extreme overpopulation.

Want a baby? Adopt one. With all the accidental litters, you can save a pig in need of a home before it get's is dose of poison for simply being alive due to the overpopulation.

CavyLover12

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave

I know my piggies are healthy, if it makes you happy I won't breed. Wait, what does it matter to you? I'm keeping the babies. My pig will successfully give birth to 2-4 babies and I'll prove you.

With the odds, you cannot know that. The risk of death is extremely high. You also cannot know the genetics of your pigs, and the possibility of a genetically sick litter. And the expenses for it which I doubt you have the means to pay for, where the animals will again suffer.

Yes, I'm capable of caring for animals that I'm not the owner of. I'm also capable of caring for the pigs that will be put to sleep due to your decision, and the overall welfare of the species which you seem to willingly overlook.

It would make me extremely happy if you didn't breed.
Though I really don't think anything I have to say about the risks, statistics, others unfortunate experience will change your mind. If you are a minor(?) this is because you don't have the ability to fully predict the results of your actions, that happens around the age of 21-25 as it's the last area to develop in the brain. If you are an adult, I really don't understand why you would knowingly put your pigs through the risks you claim to be aware of.

If you love your pigs, and want to keep them safe, don't breed. If you care for all cavies as a species, don't breed - adopt & save a life, don't create new ones that will result in certain death of others.

CavyLover12

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave

I have healthy pigs and are you saying I'm poor? I live in a happy two story house with a Mom and a Dad and a sister. What if I was ten? What if I was? If I was and my Mom had accidentally had 3 guinea pig litters in her life of having pet guinea pigs. Every litter was perfect. What if that was true?

I have no idea of your economy, I simply stated that I doubt you or your parents have a vet fund of hundreds of dollars set aside for possible vet care of all pigs & future babies, should things go terribly wrong. This I doubt as you refused to comment on the matter.

The current health of your pigs has noting to do with genetic faults that can be carried on to the offspring, or the risk of the mother passing regardless of previous health (Again, 25% risk). If you are ten, you are not able to breed in any responsible way, simple as that. Nor a teen as you don't have the mental capability to make such a decision yet, the way an adult hopefully would. This being putting the health of your pigs before your own wants.

CavyLover12

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave

This is ridiculous. You'll see, in 2 months I'll have little babies and a happy mom. I've had enough warnings from you. Youre so concerned over my pets. She's had babies before to let you know. Not mine, but others. She had two boys that were perfectly healthy. They aren't mine though. I know though neither of them are roan or dalmatian. If they give birth to a lethal, I will do all I can. This isn't over. I'll be back tomorrow near lunchtime. :)

Yes, this is a war against me, not a discussion concerning the welfare of your animals where the only one giving a damn seems to be me.
So you do have a vet fund in place? Again, the ability of predicting the consequences of your actions is needed in taking life threatening decisions for innocent animals, you need to more than "hope" or "think" that everything goes well. There is a real risk that the mother dies, and you can't give a damn because you want babies to put into more cages below minimum size.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer

This is ridiculous. You'll see, in 2 months I'll have little babies and a happy mom. I've had enough warnings from you. Youre so concerned over my pets.

"You'll see?" That sounds like what someone says when they are stomping their feet and about to have a tantrum (regardless of that person's age). That is what someone says when they have no logical basis for their actions, and just want to be defiant to pretend that they are in control and have it together.

Of course @HannibalLecter is concerned about the welfare of your pigs. You clearly are out of your depth, and many of us are concerned about your pigs. Someone has to be. I would be grateful if someone knowledgeable tried to talk reason to my kids, if they were about to do something like this. Especially if they were stomping their virtual feet and saying "you'll see."

What do you expect to hear from people on a forum that is based on *cage sizes* and is anti-breeding?

CavyLover12

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave

My cages are perfectly fine size!! And I'm not an eight year old who stomps her feet. I'm pointing out something. It's too late anyways. You people are crazy, you think that one guinea pig needs 10 times the size of my cage. If you ask me, 2 baby guinea pigs is half of an adult guinea pig. I know when they get 3 weeks I'll wean them. You need to stop. Guinea pigs are fun pets. They do not need a luxurious hotel. Oh my gosh, I can't believe this is such an issue. As long as they get regular exercise and pet daily and attention. Why can't you let me be responsible for my own pets?

No, it's been proven that adequate sized cages dramatically increases health, both physical & mental and decreases diseases & therefore expensive vet costs. Giving longer, healther lives.

Your size is half the recommended size, double that & you have the minimum size for one. You don't need ten times that size, just adequate size. Especially babies, and boys as they are more prone to dominance issues though puberty. A 2x4 cage is not a "luxurious hotel", it's a cage large enough for both pigs to get away form one another and have some ability to exercise properly. (Full laps require some extra width.) Not to mention easier to clean as you don't need full cleanings ever other day, but once a week.

You seem so eager to "prove me wrong", when you don't realize that I truly WANT to be wrong when you knowingly put your animals life at risk. Should things go wrong, the ones paying for it will be the animals, I will not "win", should that happen.

Absolutely, guinea pigs are extremely fun pets, especially when they have the right environment to live out their hilarious antics. They are however not alive to entertain you, or risk their lives to give you babies when there is a huge overpopulation issue all around the world. Want to play with lives? Play the sims.

If you have the money to pay for vet care for all pigs & possible babies, you have the money to provide at least minimum living standards.

CavyLover12

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer

My cages are perfectly fine size!!

Repeating incorrect information over and over, even with many exclamation points, does not make it true.

And I'm not an eight year old who stomps her feet.
It's hard to tell someone's age on the forum. It is easy to tell their maturity level. Maturity doesn't necessarily come with age. There are minors on this forum who are very mature. I don't get that impression from someone who says "you'll see!"

You people are crazy
If we are "crazy," why do you keep trying to convince us that you are right? How does calling someone names advance your argument? Name calling is not a way to prove that you are mature enough to make life and death decisions about your pets.

you think that one guinea pig needs 10 times the size of my cage. If you ask me, 2 baby guinea pigs is half of an adult guinea pig. I know when they get 3 weeks I'll wean them. You need to stop. Guinea pigs are fun pets. They do not need a luxurious hotel. Oh my gosh, I can't believe this is such an issue. As long as they get regular exercise and pet daily and attention. Why can't you let me be responsible for my own pets?

You are making this claim based on how much experience? How many years of experience? Do you have more years of experience than the owner, mods, and long-time participants on this forum? And why in the world would you continue to pursue this, if you are so convinced that you are right?

My kids sometimes try to get things from me by repeating the same question over and over and over, sometimes rephrasing it, sometimes telling me to get a life or that they somehow know more than I do. It doesn't make them right, and it is my responsibility as a mature adult to make sure that they don't do something foolish in the passion of their desires.

Again, some minors are mature beyond their years, and some adults are rather immature. But in this case we aren't dealing with opinions, we are dealing with facts. And the facts are that your cages are too small, that breeding cavies is a dangerous proposition for the cavies, and that doing it just because you want to does not change the facts or make it right.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer

You know, my mom would say, "oh please. Guinea pigs don't need to have a perfect life. They're just little pet animals." I would agree with her.

That explains a lot. I feel sorry for the animals in your household, frankly. It sounds like the animals are treated like toys. When you get "tired" of your pigs, are you going to throw them into the woods or the dumpster? Or just dump them at a shelter to be gassed to death? After all, in your world they are "just little pet animals."

CavyLover12

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer

No the facts are my cage is perfectly fine and breeding might be risky but most of the time it's successful. My female has already had one litter. And I'll have you know I have had guinea pigs as pets since I was born, as my mother took care of them but I still played with them and learned a lot.

If your mother views guinea pigs as playthings, then you naturally will view them that way. Perhaps with more years of study and a lot more maturity, you will realize that this is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.