Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Ants?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello again,

So a few days ago, I started to notice ants in the house. We usually never have many problems with bugs, and I don't know what started this, the house is clean, and we use vinegar when doing any household chores since I hate chemicals, and it also will destroy the invisible tracks the ants leave.

Anyway, after the first few ant sightings, I noticed a few crawling around in the guinea pig cage, and this is what drew the line for me, and I went about the internet looking for natural ways to kill them without any sorts of chemicals and such. All I could find were recipes with borax in them, but I've got many animals, and from my understanding it's dangerous, so I need a good way to kill them, and maybe some other bugs, since I HATE bugs with a passion I've got a huge fear of them, they can live outside and I don't interfere with them, but once they are in the house I can't stand it, sorry to all bug lovers.

So does anyone know of a good way to kill the ants, and keep them from coming back without hurting any of my animals or myself (Meaning all chemicals are out)

Thanks!
The human, Fus, Ro Dah, Godric, and Nova

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
If you used Vinegar to kill the ants the first time and the invisible tracks were gone too, then why don't you keep using Vinegar?

I bet you the ants got driven out of wherever they were staying because of the Vinegar, so if you use it again, it will eliminate any stragglers.

We have a giant vacuum that runs under my house, and into the garage, and we were seeing too many ants and couldn't figure out where they were coming from. So my dad took a cup of bleach and poured it down into the hole for the vacuum, and they came pouring out, and we still saw them for the next few days.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is your cage up on something? If not, can you put it on a table of some sort, and put the legs of the table in cans? You can then put vinegar, or whatever, in the cans, and keep the ants from climbing up the legs.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
If you used Vinegar to kill the ants the first time and the invisible tracks were gone too, then why don't you keep using Vinegar?

I bet you the ants got driven out of wherever they were staying because of the Vinegar, so if you use it again, it will eliminate any stragglers.

We have a giant vacuum that runs under my house, and into the garage, and we were seeing too many ants and couldn't figure out where they were coming from. So my dad took a cup of bleach and poured it down into the hole for the vacuum, and they came pouring out, and we still saw them for the next few days.

I am still using Vinegar to wash everything, I never stopped using it, however it never stopped the problem.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
@bpatters That's a great idea! However, my cage is a 3x7 with a 2x2 connection and a loft, so I don't have any tables big enough to put it on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.