Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Exercise Green ants and Guinea pig grass time

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I want to let my guinea pigs graze on the grass in the backyard(I let them free roam the entire yard - It's pure safe grass) but there are a lot of Australian green ants. Just then I had them outside hoping and praying they don't get bitten. (I just got bitten then and it's painful). What can I do about this? Is it safe to let them on the grass or should I avoid it. Would the ants bite them or would it be okay?

Attachments

IMGP8128-edit.jpg
What you can do about it is keep the pigs in the house. What may be merely painful to you may be fatal to them, as any poison from the ants will be a much larger dose for their body size than yours.

Just pick the grass and bring it inside for them.

I have been grabbing two huge handfuls for them every day. I just feel like they should be able to enjoy the fresh air, exercise and vitamin D. Aren't ants everywhere? I had them outside every day at my old house with no issues but this place has seemingly more ants. I don't know what to do, some how get rid of them?

I have been grabbing two huge handfuls for them every day. I just feel like they should be able to enjoy the fresh air, exercise and vitamin D. Aren't ants everywhere? I had them outside every day at my old house with no issues but this place has seemingly more ants. I don't know what to do, some how get rid of them?

If your cage is large enough, they'll get plenty of exercise indoors. You can always let them out of their cage indoors if you want to let them roam around a bit. They're better off indoors where it's safe and you can just open up a window to give them some fresh air. They shouldn't be in direct sunlight, anyway, because they can get overheated.

Their cage is a 2x6 for two boars. Is this sufficient? They don't move much though. I didn't have them in direct sunlight, just in the shade for the vit D. But ah well I suppose I'll have to deal with it (more floor time).

Their cage is a 2x6 for two boars. Is this sufficient? They don't move much though. I didn't have them in direct sunlight, just in the shade for the vit D. But ah well I suppose I'll have to deal with it (more floor time).

A 2x6 is great for two boars. I agree with @bpatters about picking grass. I'm still cutting grass from my yard to feed my guinea pigs. It's a great snack, they absolutely love it and they're safe inside while they eat it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.