Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Pregnant males?

MartaM

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone :)

Me and my boyfriend brought home 2 male guinea pigs 3 months ago. One is 4 months old, the other 6 or 7 months.

In April, we found an aborted fetus inside their cage - it had the mouth, teeth and nose formed but no eyes.

We naturally assumed one of the pigs was a female and waited a couple of months before checking to figure out which one would it be.

Nothing else (babies or apparent pregnancy) happened in the meantime so we checked again today. And, according to every online sexing guide, they're both males. :eye-poppi

Any ideas...?

Thanks!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think I'd take them to an exotic vet to confirm whether they are male or female.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Some guinea pigs can have ambiguous genitalia, just like people can. Usually the females can't get pregnant, but apparently you have one that can.

Have you seen the pictures at Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

And can you post pictures here of the pertinent parts of both pigs?

My recommendation is that you separate them until you figure out which is which, rather than leaving them together for the female to get pregnant again. In addition to an apparently high risk of dead/deformed pups, you're putting the sow at risk also.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes. Separate them until you figure out the gender. Are there any rescues in your area that can help you determine it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.