Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Newbie please help!

vegantreegirl

Cavy Slave
Hey all! I've never been a Guinea Pig parent before. I adopted one from a shelter about two weeks ago. She is 9months old and I love her so much! :love: I came here, because I want to take the best care of her that I possibly can. I got a store bought cage and just by looking at it could tell it was wayyyyy too small. It def does not meet the minimum requirements. I can't find the supplies to make a C&C myself and am not very handy. Plus, numbers confuse the heck out of me, so I don't really understand what the size numbers mean. Can anyone look at these links and tell me if any of these cages are an ok size for one piggie? (Yes, I know they do better with a friend, but she was the only piggie at the shelter, so for now she's alone. :()

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Amazon.com: Midwest Wabbitat Folding Rabbit Cage: Kitchen & Dining

(broken link removed)

lissie

Cavy Slave

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
C&C cages are really not that difficult to build. Pick up some grids (Organize-It or otherwise) at any number of stores that sell organization supplies). Coroplast can be obtained at any sign store or ordered from this site. If you explain to the sign store what you are using it for, they might be willing to score it for you.

ojars

Cavy Slave
Coroplast is also available from Home Depot these days and at an attractive price. You will find it where the sheet metal and sheet plastics are displayed.

vegantreegirl

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I've been looking for the supplies and will keep doing so, but in the meantime I found a much better cage. I'll post a picture shortly.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
If you can't find materials, you can always buy one online: (broken link removed)

vegantreegirl

Cavy Slave
Ignore the date on the picture. I don't know how to fix my camera to give it the right date. This is a top view of her new cage. I had just put it together, so it needs work.

lissie

Cavy Slave
How big is the new cage? It looks very small.
The recommended size for one pig is 7.5 sq ft (or 30" x 36", or 27" x 41")

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
That cage is WAY too small. Store-bought cages are notoriously small. Guinea pigs need room to move around and most are so small that they aren't much more than a glorified litter box. They have to eat, sleep and go to the bathroom in the small area.

3littlewheekers

Cavy Slave
I think we should all start by saying glad you're here to figure out the best way to take care of your piggy!! That being said... Until you are able to make your own or buy your own take your new piggy out for floor time as much as possible!! You will not believe what a difference there will be when you actually get him/her a larger cage. Once I lasers switch I thought how did that ever work?! I now have a 2.5x4.5 grid c&c and I'm already thinking I should expand :) good luck with your new addition!! Great job on doing research and learning as much as you can. You'll make a great pet parent! Oh and by the way I got my grids at bed bath and beyond, they were 19.99 and they always had coupons out. I paid 14.99 for the grids and then 25 for a full sheet of coroplast at the local plastics shop. Hope that helps!

vegantreegirl

Cavy Slave
Thanks 3littlewheekers! :) She's much happier in her bigger cage, exploring and popcorning. Thanks for all your concerns, but for now this is the cage I have her in. I give her lots of floor time and time in my yard in a large outdoor pen. The cage I posted a picture of is larger than my dog and my family thinks I'm crazy for spending money on it. They say she is overly spoiled, but I don't care what they think. By the way some of you have "welcomed" me I apparently should have left her at the shelter in a tiny glass box where her fungal infection was "awaiting funds to be treated."

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
welcome vegantreegirl, instead of replying to this post, I sent you a private message

lissie

Cavy Slave
All the cages you posted are more expensive than the Midwest guinea pig cage that I suggested. I don't understand why you went out and bought a new cage that is still too small, and probably more expensive than the Midwest.

Cage size recommendations and benefits of having a larger cage.
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.