Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy health of pregnant women and piggys

Leahfaithmt

Cavy Slave
First...I tried to find the correct forum to post in, but couldn't find anything that related to my question. I appoligize if I missed the right spot...but I NEED to get this posted and hear what others have to say...I"M STRESSED!!!!!

After 4 years, one ectopic pregnancy, 5 miscarriages, two failed attempts at IUI's, I just found out I'm expecting again. I'm only 6 weeks along, so quite apprehensive about this new pregnancy. I've only owned guinea pigs a few months (adopted one about 5 months ago, and another one just one month ago). Due to all my issues, I decided to do research on owning guinea pigs and being pregnant. Here's what I found in the march of dimes site...
Hamsters, guinea pigs and mice
Rodents, such as mice, hamsters and guinea pigs, are popular pets in many homes. But women who are pregnant or who plan to become pregnant should be very careful with rodents. These animals may carry a virus called lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV).

The house mouse, a wild rodent found near and in homes, is the main source of the virus. Pet rodents like hamsters and guinea pigs can become infected with LCMV after being in contact with wild rodents at a breeding facility, pet store or home.
  • People can get LCMV through contact with a rodent’s urine, blood, saliva, droppings or nesting materials.
  • The infection can also spread when a person breathes in dust or droplets that have LCMV. Examples: while sweeping up mouse droppings or cleaning out the hamster cage.
  • Pregnant women who get LCMV can pass the infection to their unborn baby.
  • LCMV can cause severe birth defects or loss of pregnancy.
LCMV symptoms include:
  • Fever
  • Headache
  • Neck stiffness
  • Fatigue
  • Lack of appetite
  • Muscle aches
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
Pregnant moms can lower their chance of getting LCMV by:
  • Keeping pet rodents in a separate part of the home
  • Asking another family member to care for the pet and clean its cage
  • Washing hands with soap and water after handling pet rodents
  • Keeping rodent cages clean and free of soiled bedding
  • Cleaning the cage in a well-ventilated area or outside
  • Keeping pet rodents away from your face
I plan on asking my vet as well as my dr. about what they think. I have a C&C cage, therefore I sweep out the poop a few times a day - which worries me a little since I can be breathing in the droppings. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my piggy's, and want to keep them, but I'll do what's best for my unborn child first.

Does anyone have any advice, input or experience in this matter? I'm already stressed out and affraid from just being pregnant, and this is causing a lot of extra stress on me. THanks for any help!!!!!

Leahfaithmt

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the links - I hadn't seen these on here :)

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I would be more afraid that at this point STRESS would be your worst enemy. The risk is SO low as it is stated in many of the posts that were linked above that you are more likely to catch mad cow (or something) from eating tainted meat. I had many guinea pigs and cats from many walks of life in my care through both of my pregnancies AND I cleaned and cared for them (since my now ex husband was a jerk on many levels) 100% of the time. Both my boys are well formed, intelligent, semi healthy (semi in respect to their crappy genes from their dads family and the abuse and stress he puts on them). I wouldn't worry about it too much.

In fact having them around and loving them will cause LESS stress which will help your pregnancy. Its no coincidence that you got pregs after getting them. It is often said that when people are less stressed because they adopt, get a puppy, kitty, do something that they really love...etc. that they often time get pregnant because their body is more relaxed (which mean not as many toxins and stuff are poured into the body by hormones).

Kids are great, for the most part. For the four years before I got pregs with my 1st son I was totally baby crazy. Now I wish I had taken more time to travel, party, make some GOOD friends, get to know my now ex husband and his psyco family more. You can't force your body to do something that it might not be able to do. My new best friend had a LOT of miscarriages many of which were later in the pregnancy which was SOOO hard on her. About a year ago she found out that she has a damaged DNA chromizone. Her highly autistic son has it too. The university she went to doesn't know what this part of the DNA does so they cannot tell her if its bad, good, can be the cause of all her miscarrages or what. Some people because of toxins, genetics, life style, food, health will not be able to have kids. Some people can deal with not having kids. Oprah sure seems happy. Some people cannot have kids. Either way I think you need to relax, take care of yourself and love up your critters without guilt. You can only change and control so much and worrying about it will make you crazy like me! lol Good luck and I hope everything goes well for you!!!

Leahfaithmt

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your input. I miscarried yesterday so the point is moot now. Seems like I just can't keep these babies past 6 1/2 - 7 weeks. God blessed me with an amazing daughter 5 years ago, so I feel extreamly fortunate to have her. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28)." A promise I'm standing on. I don't know if more children are in my future, but I know God has a plan and purpose for my life :)

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry this happened to you again. You have your daughter. Maybe sometime in the future it will work again.

Henrysmommy

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry this happend to you, you're in my thoughts.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am sorry for your loss.

FlowersGrandma

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your input. I miscarried yesterday so the point is moot now. Seems like I just can't keep these babies past 6 1/2 - 7 weeks. God blessed me with an amazing daughter 5 years ago, so I feel extreamly fortunate to have her. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28)." A promise I'm standing on. I don't know if more children are in my future, but I know God has a plan and purpose for my life :)
I am so sorry. Take care of yourself and your daughter. And keep the faith. Get plenty of rest and listen to your doctors.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. Yes, you are really blessed but I know how disappointed you must be. Life can be really tough sometimes. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Leahfaithmt

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for your kind words :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.