Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick My Poor Marbles

sar0812

Cavy Slave
Hi all. I have only posted here once or twice. We have had our piggies for about a year now and things were going great. However, we started having some problems with our male in the last two months. I am wondering if anyone could offer advice, or even just some sympathy! I am feeling a bit overwhelmed right now and so, so worried about my guy!

I first noticed that Marbles' eye was protruding. He was hiding a lot, not his usual curious self. I finally made an appointment with our vet. She first gave him antibiotics for a possible infection behind the eye (perhaps with his tooth.) He seemed to feel better for a while, but the eye didn't recede. Then he injured the eye, causing an ulceration. He was in so much pain. We took him back almost immediately and got an antibiotic ointment for the eye. That worked, until he ulcerated it again. It was at that point we decided to have the eye removed. It seems that he had a tumor in the eye globe itself, so we were relieved to have it taken care of. The surgery was a week ago Monday (we are now nearly two weeks post surgery.) He came home and seemed to be OK with daily shots of pain meds. He was eating some and seemed to be getting better. However, he has almost completely stopped eating now. He hadn't eaten for about two weeks prior to the surgery because of the pain (he would eat when given pain meds.) I am now wondering if his teeth have become overgrown, keeping him from eating.

Tonight I mushed up pellets in water and force fed the poor thing. I need him to eat. I will make a vet appointment for ASAP to see if we can get his teeth trimmed. I don't have many options for vet care and I do love our vet, but she has already said it may take anesthesia to take care of his teeth. I worry about putting him under while he is so thin and not doing well. His front teeth do look long, but everything I have read recommends the vet trimming them, so I am not going to attempt trimming them myself.

I will continue to force feed him (although he didn't get all that much in him) and get him in to the vet. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make food more palatable to a piggy who isn't eating? Any ideas on how to help make him stronger? He needs hay, and used to eat a ton, but barely will touch it now. Any thoughts, ideas, or advice, or even just commiseration? I don't want to lose my boy!

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I would see if you can get some Oxbow Critical Care for now. It's packed full of vitamins and can be fed by the little syringes. I have no medical advice to offer besides that, just good luck at the vets, and I hope little Marbles gets better :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Does your vet have Critical Care? In the meantime, you can add some juice or a little bit of baby food carrots in with the smashed pellets.

He will definitely need to be anesthetized to have his teeth done. Maybe the vet can assess his condition to see if he's able to get through it.

Have you read the link on hand feeding at Guinea Lynx?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Sorry, double post.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Oxbows Critical Care is really the best thing you can give to your sick piggie, but if you are unable to find some right away, you know what I have read that sounds great to add to a pellet mash ? Pure canned pumpkin ! It is full of fiber and low in sugar and very tasty to piggies !

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Also, if you believe your piggie has malocclusion, make sure your vet takes x-rays. Make sure that your vet not only trims the front teeth, but files the molars down as well. Here is an excerpt from guinea lynx on "Common Mistakes" people make down below:

Teeth Problems

1. Not getting the molars examined. Teeth problems in guinea pigs almost always originate with the molars.
2. Not using the proper tools -- Namely, buccal pad separators, to examine the molars properly.
3. Trimming the incisors but not the molars. Especially with Resco nail trimmers, a common veterinary tool but one that can do significant damage to cavy teeth.
4. No x-rays. This is a good way to miss an underlying problem in the jaw.
5. Not thinking teeth first! Often a guinea pig will waste away while even a good exotics vet looks for other causes. The resulting weight loss can be fatal.
Warm wishes and prayers to you and your piggie !!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.