Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Is this okay for a Quarantine cage?

cavyluv83

Cavy Slave
Okay so I'm getting 2 new guinea pigs on Sunday(tomorrow) and I was looking for the largest pet store cage I could find for the quarantine period. As some of you know, Nuna passed on Feb 16th and her "neighbor"(they weren't together) seemed a little sad, so I decided to get, Ginger and Tillie! And for my question, Is this pet store cage big enough to keep them in for 1-3 weeks? ---> (broken link removed) It was one of the biggest(and cheapest) that I could find. I will just use the food for the bunnies. So is it big enough? After that I would just use it for if one got sick or if I wanted more piggies than I'd use it for a quarantine cage again. Thanks! :)

Mori106

Cavy Slave
If I were you I would go with something more like this:
(broken link removed)
It's bigger and cheaper. My pigs are in that currently while I am finishing up their C&C cage. Hope this helps.

GuineaPigGirl96

Cavy Slave
^ That would be a better option. If not, you could use extra grids, and a shower curtain and fleece. If you don't have any extra grids, it would still be cheaper just to buy a box, then you still have extra for a playpen, or cage expansions.

cavyluv83

Cavy Slave
I was looking into that one but there is no store here that sells it and I would need it by tomorrow, I was asking because I just bought this cage last night and the piggies will be let out daily in a pen made out of grids so I do think it would be okay. It is quite big for a petstore cage. Thanks though!

KDonohue

Cavy Slave
Wow did you pay $94 for that cage? I have a few large marchioro cages that have about 6 sq ft of space and I use them for traveling to the vet and have used as quarantine in the past but I got them off craigslist for $30 or so. If you can I recommend just using the extra grids you have and a shower curtain with towels and fleece and returning that cage. That is an enormous amount of money spend on something so small.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
That cage is actually 1 1/3 grid by 3 grid size(minus 1 of the 9squares) so no it is not a big enough 1 piggie it is only about 5 square feet. I think you would be better off setting up a temperary 2x3 grid cage.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
For quaratine I use an old marchiro cage that is about 6sqft. I had 2 pigs in it at once multiple times for quarantine and it was fine (a little cramped but floortime relives that). I don't know how much we paid for it probably under $100 5 years ago. If I were you I'd buy a box of grids or use extra and a trash bag or shower curtain to make a temporary cage. Or if you do buy the petstore one it might come in handy for travel and a hospital cage.

PrttyChngaderas

Cavy Slave
I agree that it is pretty small. If it was just one piggy I would say it was okay. But two is going to be so cramped and get dirty exceptionally fast. I agree, go with a box of grids and a shower curtain with fleece and towels. Also, check Craigslist for some cheap cages.

My worry is that all that will be available to you at retail stores will be the wrong size grids. Unless you have a costco membership and they have them in stock. Walmart in my town NEVER has grids in stock, Target has the wrong ones, Bed Bath and Beyond has packages with only enough for a 2x2. That's just my experience though.

Your mileage may vary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.