Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can the piggies handle shredded paper?

mtm88781

Cavy Slave
As many others have said, shreeded paper is not really a suitable bedding for guinea pigs. It is not absorbant, and will require frequent cage cleanings. Some inks can also be dangerous and toxic to the pigs.

Here are some suitable beddings, the first one being the best:

~Fleece~CareFresh~Aspen Shavings~Kiln Dried Pine or a Pine Pellet.

Just a reminder, cedar is TOXIC to all pigs (and all small animals) and should NEVER be used as a bedding.

Good luck in finding something that works!

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the tips:p! I can't wait to get the guinea pig, but my mom is upset now because we have to buy bedding every month or so. She said that's too much money to pay for the materials for the cage, the guinea pig itself, the food, and NOW the bedding! So that's a lot of money, and it's kind of out of my budget, which is NOT a good thing! Besides the fleece blanket, do you have any other ideas of bedding I could use, that I don't have to buy nearly every month, that's cheap? I really, really, REALLY don't want to make my mom mad, and I don't want to not be out of money. But I only want the best for my piggie when I get him/her! I'm sorry I made this so long! OH, WHAT DO I DO?:eek:hmy::confused:

Last edited:

PrttyChngaderas

Cavy Slave
I hope this is allowed here....

After much talk about the fleece for bedding, I decided that the next time I clean my cage, I am going to give it a try in the "baby" cage.

I had to run some errands today. One of my stops was Walgreens. I got 100% polyester fleece blankets, 50"x60" for $2.00 a piece. They were marked 2/$7 and rang up even cheaper!! That was pretty exciting. Walgreens is a national chain so, it's pretty likely they will be on sale in areas all over the country. Cute, patterns, bright colors, cheap! My favorite price.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the tips:p! I can't wait to get the guinea pig, but my mom is upset now because we have to buy bedding every month or so. She said that's too much money to pay for the materials for the cage, the guinea pig itself, the food, and NOW the bedding! So that's a lot of money, and it's kind of out of my budget, which is NOT a good thing! Besides the fleece blanket, do you have any other ideas of bedding I could use, that I don't have to buy nearly every month, that's cheap? I really, really, REALLY don't want to make my mom mad, and I don't want to not be out of money. But I only want the best for my piggie when I get him/her! I'm sorry I made this so long! OH, WHAT DO I DO?:eek:hmy::confused:

Any disposable bedding (the kind you throw away each time) is going to be pretty expensive, because you have to keep buying it. Some options are cheaper than others, but if you have a large cage, you are going to use a LOT of bedding each time. There is no way I could afford to fill my 2x6 cage 2 inches deep with Carefresh each week, for example. It would cost hundreds of dollars a year.

Safe shavings will be cheaper, but you will need a LOT. I'm not sure how much it would cost to cover the floor of a 2x4 cage, or how often it would need to be changed. This information is on the forums somewhere, though - do a search.

Fleece with U-Haul blankets under it is one of the cheapest options (if not the cheapest). You will, however, need to spend about $50 upfront buying the fleece and blankets, and your mom will have to be OK with you washing them in the clothes washer (or prepared to drive you to a laundromat each week).

The cage will not cost you a TON of money - probably about $40 in materials.

The guinea pig itself will have an adoption fee (hopefully you are not planning to buy one from a pet store) of about $20-$30. Ideally, you need to adopt a pair. This will cost about $30-$50 from what I've seen on Petfinder.

Then you have food (about $10 per month for good quality hay and pellets, buying in bulk, plus groceries ($20-$40) per month, depending on where you live), and vet expenses (a basic checkup/visit is $40). I had over $300 in vet bills the first year I had my pigs, plus (very sadly) autopsy and cremation fees.

They really are not cheap pets, so please think VERY carefully about this.

PrttyChngaderas

Cavy Slave
Tell me if I am not posting this in the right place, please. I am, in general a rule bender but, I don't want to be here :)

So I am getting more and more excited about this bedding switch. I just hit another Walgreens and got 4 more cheapo fleece blankets. these were 2/$5. Still a great deal for a 50"x60" fleece blanket and they aren't cheapo super thin ones, either. Not super plush but, I think these might be up my alley. I am not going to open or wash these yet until I wash the others (on second wash cycle) and do the wet test. *crosses fingers* wish me luck!

I then stopped at the local Goodwill and looked at towels. I got good sized bath towels for $1 each. Okay, I am already liking how this is working into my budget. Initial start up cost is under $30 so far and... I am only going to have to spend that ONCE. And I can only imagine that stuff won't have to be replace any more than yearly. Am I right with that line of thinking?if the test goes well, I may just put my left over bedding up on Craigslist.

I have noticed that some people still use regular bedding in the "kitchen" area. Is there a reason for this? It might help with the hay as that is where the hay bin is place for my boys... on the second story. I just changed their cages on sunday so, I may wait until this weekend to do the bog switch.

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
Any disposable bedding (the kind you throw away each time) is going to be pretty expensive, because you have to keep buying it. Some options are cheaper than others, but if you have a large cage, you are going to use a LOT of bedding each time. There is no way I could afford to fill my 2x6 cage 2 inches deep with Carefresh each week, for example. It would cost hundreds of dollars a year.

Safe shavings will be cheaper, but you will need a LOT. I'm not sure how much it would cost to cover the floor of a 2x4 cage, or how often it would need to be changed. This information is on the forums somewhere, though - do a search.

Fleece with U-Haul blankets under it is one of the cheapest options (if not the cheapest). You will, however, need to spend about $50 upfront buying the fleece and blankets, and your mom will have to be OK with you washing them in the clothes washer (or prepared to drive you to a laundromat each week).

The cage will not cost you a TON of money - probably about $40 in materials.

The guinea pig itself will have an adoption fee (hopefully you are not planning to buy one from a pet store) of about $20-$30. Ideally, you need to adopt a pair. This will cost about $30-$50 from what I've seen on Petfinder.

Then you have food (about $10 per month for good quality hay and pellets, buying in bulk, plus groceries ($20-$40) per month, depending on where you live), and vet expenses (a basic checkup/visit is $40). I had over $300 in vet bills the first year I had my pigs, plus (very sadly) autopsy and cremation fees.

They really are not cheap pets, so please think VERY carefully about this.

Well, I have a washing machine at home, so that covers that issue. My mom told me that I shouldn't buy from a pet store, so I'm buisy looking all over for that! If I do use a blanket, will I have to put stuff on it, or will It just be a blanket? I don't think I can take care of two so fast, I am only a kid, and a newbie kid at that! And besides putting on a table, how do I get it out of reach from my cat? My cat only goes in my room to sleep, but she is very curious. I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS?:crazy::crazy::crazy:

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Well, I have a washing machine at home, so that covers that issue. My mom told me that I shouldn't buy from a pet store, so I'm buisy looking all over for that! If I do use a blanket, will I have to put stuff on it, or will It just be a blanket? I don't think I can take care of two so fast, I am only a kid, and a newbie kid at that! And besides putting on a table, how do I get it out of reach from my cat? My cat only goes in my room to sleep, but she is very curious. I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS?:crazy::crazy::crazy:

If you cannot take care of two right now, then don't bother getting one. Wait until you 100% ready before you take on such a big responsibility.

You need to have an absorbent layer beneath the fleece blankets. A lot of people use towels or mattress pads. I personally use towels and I love it.

Go to the photo gallery and go to the Cat/Dog proofing section and look at the pictures. It will give you an idea as to how to do it.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
If you cannot take care of two right now, then don't bother getting one. Wait until you 100% ready before you take on such a big responsibility.

I'd agree with that. Guinea pigs generally do better in pairs, so it's probably better to start with two. You'll be buying all the supplies anyway - the only difference having two will make is potential vet bills, for which you will NEED to have several hundred dollars saved up before you get them. Believe me, the unexpected WILL happen.

We're getting off-topic, though, so please start looking and posting in the other sections for questions about fleece and U-haul blankets. Here are some threads to get you started:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/58123-review-uhaul-blanket.html

Tasha's Tails: Writings from Amy and her cavies: fleece

Here's some ideas on cage stands, too: Stands - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

As Sfailed said, you will need to cat-proof your cage. Here are some ideas:
Cat/Dog Proofing - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
Yea, I'm getting one for me and one for my sister (and they will both be in the same cage). I think I'm going to put a towel underneath the fleece. I'm also going to just put the shredded paper in the litter box area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.