Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Diarrhea

Freind

Cavy Slave
Is it okay buy from pet stor? If yes what should make sure?

Sirene

Cavy Slave
A lot of members try not to buy things from pet stores which sell animals as they support breeding mills and other cruel things. But in this case you need hay today, so this may be your only option.
I would try to get Oxbow hay - the best kind would probably be Western Timothy. The bag looks like this: Oxbow Animal Health | Hay
Also, the hay should look green, not brown, when you buy it. That means it's good quality and fresh.

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave
I agree with that you need the new hay today and your only option might be a pet store...but for future hay purchases you should consider a local farmer or online purchase from stores that don't sell animals.

I did not have good luck with the Oxbow Western Timothy Hay, it was very dry, lots of stems and very dusty. My piggies wouldn't touch it and I have a nearly full bag still! If you can find it, try to get Oxbow Orchard Grass, the bag I got was very leafy and green, much better and they could eat it all. My piggies liked it a lot. It will be easier for your piggy to find "the good stuff" instead of lots of stems. It would also be a good start for her to get going on some hay.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If salt is dangerous then why then why these pet stores are able to sell it so easyly and freely. Is there any organisation to monitor their prouduct. Like humen medicine are controlled by FDA. And what should I give her for chewing. Please advise. Thanks.
Basically to make unaware buyers think the products are needed. Businesses are in business to make money and most don't care about the safety of their products. There are far more dangerous things marketed for pigs than there are safe ones.

Most brands of pellets are bad, all petstore treats are bad with the exception of apple branches and maybe one or two others. Salt licks/mineral blocks are not needed and can cause health issues, wheels/balls are marketed for pigs and they are dangerous and should not be used.

I've already answered your question on what they need for chewing, they need unlimited hay.

Freind

Cavy Slave
You are right. I went to the pet store and the hay looks brown and dusty and I think I don't see any farm around my area, but I'll look for it.
Earlier I posted about the St. Augustine grass. Anyone know about this grass. I mean is it good for the GP. My backyard has a very good and thick St. Augustine grass.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
St Augustine grass is fine, but ONLY if you don't use fertilizer or pesticides or any other chemicals in your yard, as these can be toxic to guinea pigs.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
You are right. I went to the pet store and the hay looks brown and dusty and I think I don't see any farm around my area, but I'll look for it.
Earlier I posted about the St. Augustine grass. Anyone know about this grass. I mean is it good for the GP. My backyard has a very good and thick St. Augustine grass.

Can you order online? In the meantime, you need to get some hay now or the pig's teeth are going to continue to overgrow. Not to mention, they need hay to keep their guts moving. If you go to Oxbow's site you can find a store in your area that sells their products. My pigs also like the orchard grass.

(broken link removed)

Sirene

Cavy Slave
You could just call a list of pet stores in your area and ask if they have Oxbow hay. That way you don't waste time and gas driving around trying to find it.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Maybe VoodooJoint will post on a good place to find good hay.

Freind

Cavy Slave
Ooo God, Its looks like we have another child in our family. Thanks to everyone. I found the oxbow in one of the pet store but again the grass was not green and too dusty. But the orchard was green. Anyway, I just recall my mamory that there is horse barn near to me. May be they new any farmer or fresh hay supplier around. Wish me luck.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you found nice-looking orchard grass! Your pig should love it. The horse barn is a great idea - they should know where to get good-quality hay.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I found the oxbow in one of the pet store but again the grass was not green and too dusty. But the orchard was green. Anyway, I just recall my mamory that there is horse barn near to me. May be they new any farmer or fresh hay supplier around. Wish me luck.

A horse barn is a great place to start. You may also be able to find a farm on craigslist that sells grass hay. I'm glad you found some orchard grass. My pigs are spoiled with KM's hay and now picky, but they do like Oxbow's orchard grass on the occasion that I wait too long to place a KM order.

Ooo God, Its looks like we have another child in our family.

Guinea pigs aren't low maintenance pets despite what pet stores and even breeders lead people to think. But once you get everything set up and know where to go for all of your supplies then they're pretty easy :)

By the way, is she eating any better?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Guinea Pig Lab Diet 5025 is horrible stuff https://labdiet.com/pdf/5025.pdf

It is full of terrible things for GPs like; Pig fat, corn, whey, calcium carbonate, and more preservatives and unnecessary additives then I can shake a stick at.

Get rid of it and do not believe anything you hear or see in a petshop. Petshops that sell animals tend to do things the cheap way and the animals eat the poor quality food because that is all they get and have to eat it or starve.

You can buy Oxbow at Dr. Rich's office (and a few other places around New Orleans) or order Kleenmamas at (broken link removed)

Last edited:

Freind

Cavy Slave
Okay. I'll Oxbow.
Is wood bedding is good?

Till now my GP is not eating hay and pallets. She started to drink water and some veggis and I'm feeding her criticle care twice a day.
And she is also don't want to come out of her cage. When we try to catch her she run so fast and we put her outside she sits where we put her or just move a couple of feets. I don't know what to do or what that poor baby wants.

Freind

Cavy Slave
Not eating hay and pallets.

Hello folks,
You all know my cavy condition. And still today she is not eating the hay and pallets. She just eats some veggies and fruits and I have to force her to eat the critical care. So can anyone advise how come a cavy eats the veggies but not the hay? The way I think that if anything is wrong with her she should not eat anything. So please help me and also advice what should I do to get out of this situation? And I also like her vet because he is just doing business, they never gave me a single advise over the phone. Every time I call him they ask me to bring her in. I have to give more attention and time to her as compare to the attention I give to my kids. Honestly I’m getting sick of her. So please advise.
Thanks.

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
Re: Not eating hay and pallets.

The vet is doing the right thing by not giving you advice over the phone. They can't properly diagnose a problem unless you bring the pig in. They need to look for things that you aren't trained to look for. Take her to the vet. If you can't afford her care, you can always sign her over to the vet and they will treat her and find her a home.

Please do not say you are sick of her. You don't get a pet just to pet it or say how cute it is. You are responsible for that pet. You need to see it through it's illness because you took on the responsibility of it's life and well being. If you are not willing to do that, please find a good home for her.

gimmepigs

Cavy Slave

Are you sure she's not eating little bits of hay? I put a lot of hay in my pigs' cages and aside from the fact that I see them eating it I probably wouldn't be able to tell. As far as pellets go, 2 of my girls aren't big fans. Have you weighed your baby and checked her teeth? Weighing her would be a good way to tell if she's gaining rather than loosing weight and if her teeth are overgrown it would make it harder for her to eat. These are just a couple of steps I would take. I am no expert but I think these suggestions are worth a try.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave

I agree with CavyCrazyLady. You should bring her in to the vet. I believe you said your Guinea Pig had problems with her teeth in an earlier thread.

If your kids were sick, would you say you were sick of them? You took the responsibilty of owning a Guinea Pig. If you cannot afford her or cannot deal with whatever is wrong with her or her medical condition, then you might want to look into rehoming her to someone who will.

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave

You have certainly had a hard time with your piggie since you got her. I know that it has been a struggle for you and that you genuinely care about her, but with her teeth problems, she will most likely need frequent vet care for the rest of her life to keep her healthy. If you are not prepared to do that, then I agree with the others, that you should probably rehome her to someone who is prepared to take on that responsiblity. But you need to be completely honest about it if you choose to rehome her. Your best bet would probably be to look for a local guinea pig shelter and get advice from them. They might be willing to take her and find her a home, or they might be able to help you look for a home while you continue to care for her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.