Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Humane Society Numbers Discouraging

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
I am saddened by the rise in the amount of pigs at our local humane society. When I looked 2 months ago there was one, then two. Two months later there are 10. Are these the Easter cast-offs? I only wish I could adopt them all. :(

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Are these the Easter cast-offs?

Could be. Or this is just a wave of homeless pigs. And 10 is nothing, compared to the over-100 pigs we have at our local rescue. :ashamed:

What I've learned from volunteering with a guinea pig rescue is that things come in waves. Sometimes there's one or two pigs that are relinquished/found/abandoned and sometimes we get a whole group of 15 pigs. Just last month, we got 26 from a hoarder/breeder. So it really varies.

But if you can't adopt the pigs, you can always help in some way! How about offering to make C&C cages (if the shelter has the space)? What about washing and preparing veggies for the pigs? You could volunteer to handle the pigs or clean cages, too.

Also, over at (broken link removed), she sponsors a shelter each month and donates 10% of all proceeds. It's a great idea and could really help your rescue! Email Jennifer and suggest your rescue for sponsorship.

Good luck!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Summer surrenders - people go on vacation, school ends (class pets need to be gone) move, etc.

Also the economy.

danielle715

Cavy Slave
It is interesting how much the numbers can vary. I looked up and called every humane society/ shelter in my area and found one pig that had already been adopted. If i wanted to rescue from a shelter i would have to drive to Vermont or a couple hours away. But i did send out e-mails asking what kind of small animal donations the shelters are in need of and asked to be e-mailed if any pigs were surrendered. I think every little bit helps!

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
Wow! It never crossed my mind that anyone would abandon their pig for vacation or give up a class pet for the summer. I also see that the pigs at our humane society are housed on newspaper, I don't believe they have the space for the C&C cages. I know one of the local petco's does not sell pigs but is used as an adoption area for them, I wish they would all do that!

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
It is interesting how much the numbers can vary. I looked up and called every humane society/ shelter in my area and found one pig that had already been adopted. If i wanted to rescue from a shelter i would have to drive to Vermont or a couple hours away. But i did send out e-mails asking what kind of small animal donations the shelters are in need of and asked to be e-mailed if any pigs were surrendered. I think every little bit helps!

In a lot of these cases there are plenty of guinea pigs around, but people simply don't know they can take them to the shelters, or some shelters don't accept them. (There are many in our area that turn away all exotics).

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave

Please do consider a short and lovely drive to Vermont if you want to rescue. (broken link removed) is a wonderful place and they have some really nice guinea pigs right now.

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
rabbitsncavyluv - I agree. Durring the summer the rescues seem to get a huge wave of surrender calls and hardly no adoptions. Everyone is dealing with their kids all summer and don't want to make time for the piggies.

drumfun

Cavy Slave
There is a woman's humane society around my area.Bensalem,Pa.
I put this link out on forum here a few weeks ago.
There is three I believe at this shelter.
This little guy is sweet!
Needs a home.

10-H31391 Maple's Web Page

couchon

Cavy Slave
Wow, I am amazed by the Turtle Hill Farm. It just gives me such a warm feeling. I would love to just go there and visit it!

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
I recently became mommy to a piggie, one I found abandoned in our State Park! I asked the ranger to catch him and then I would take him home until I can find a home for him, but we fell in love instantly and he is now our baby. He'll be living out his days with us. He's my first so I'm still learning a lot, but so far so good. We looked at our shelter for a buddy for him, but they only have one and she won't work with our Snickerdoodle.

danielle715

Cavy Slave
Please do consider a short and lovely drive to Vermont if you want to rescue. (broken link removed) is a wonderful place and they have some really nice guinea pigs right now.

I have been checking there website. I am sure that is what i am going to end up doing one of these weekends.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have been checking there website. I am sure that is what i am going to end up doing one of these weekends.
Good for you ! There is an application online and of course do contact the owner to be sure she is going to be around. Another member here adopted two females through Turtle Hill and has been very happy !

danielle715

Cavy Slave
Good for you ! There is an application online and of course do contact the owner to be sure she is going to be around. Another member here adopted two females through Turtle Hill and has been very happy !
Funny enough i just e-mailed them asking to e-mail the application because for some odd reason I can't open it.

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
I wish we had pigs at MY humane society. I am going to try to convince my parents to go to Estevan for guinea pigs. I think I can acomplish that!

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
We have none, the 3 we went to see the other day have all been adopted. In fact, they only had one bunny left in the small animals department. The Peninsula Society had 4 and the Cavy Spirit lady had none, I think there was 4 at another cavy rescue.

Flssgrl

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness! Our humane society has more rabbits than I can count right now and about 8 piggies :sad:

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
I wish they could take three of the girls at your Humane society and take them to my humane society! Shesh we have a lack of guinea pigs!lol

fresian.m

Cavy Slave
Sigh just looked on Craigslist and it's SO sad. One person has 4 pigs 2 female two male crammed in this tiny (I mean MINISCULE) "guinea pig cage" that looks like a hamster cage. I have no idea if the two males are neutered but I'm guessing not. THey're all in one little cage. It makes me want to go and snatch them up. Though chances are the girls are pregnant. Sigh.

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
now we have 2 in our humane society. There boys and I don't get mine yet :sad:. I wish I could find someone that could adopt them and there are three in a city 2 hours away from home. I wish I could adopt them all!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.