Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions My Bella HAS mites

ggehman

Cavy Slave
I've seen a few threads on here about mites and I have read them, but I was hoping to get some questions answered that I have. I have only had Bella for 2 weeks. I noticed her one ear was all flaky, crusty and I noticed her scratching a lot. I took her to the vet on Friday night, he said she has "Mange Mites", which I'm sory, but that really really grossed me out. He gave her a shot of ivermectin, and an an antibotic (Baytril). He said she will need 3 more shots of the ivermectin, once a week and keep her on the Baytril for 2 weeks, twice a day. OK, my questions because there are so many conflicts on line about this.
1. - Can people get mites from them? My daughter who is 11 spends hours a day holding her, letting her climb on her, kissing her etc...
2. - Do I really have to clean the cage every single day? It's very expensive to clean her cage because it is a 4x2 cage and Carefresh is expensive.
3 - How long does it take for the ivermectin to work
4- Can she keep getting re-infected from her cage if I miss a spot when cleaning it - I do not have any other guinea pigs.

Sorry for all the questions, but need some expert, experienced advise.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Why did he prescribe Baytril? Mites don't require treatment with an antibiotic, so I'm hoping there's another reason that you were given an antibiotic. Also, were you also given a probiotic? If you weren't, you need to call and get something from your vet, or go buy something yourself. Baytril is safe for guinea pigs, but you still need to be giving a probiotic while your pig is on it. Failure to give a probiotic with an antibiotic can be fatal.

https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

1. - Can people get mites from them? My daughter who is 11 spends hours a day holding her, letting her climb on her, kissing her etc...
Technically, yes, people can get mites from a guinea pig, but it's very difficult and would almost have to be an intentional act. If your pig has already been treated with ivermectin, though, there's nothing at all to worry about.

2. - Do I really have to clean the cage every single day? It's very expensive to clean her cage because it is a 4x2 cage and Carefresh is expensive.
Cleaning once a week is typical, sometimes people clean twice a week. Spot cleaning is always good once per day, but not necessary. You could also look into fleece bedding. The startup costs are higher, but it saves a lot of money in the long run.

3 - How long does it take for the ivermectin to work
Not long. You should see marked improvement within a few days.

4- Can she keep getting re-infected from her cage if I miss a spot when cleaning it - I do not have any other guinea pigs.
It's important to clean thoroughly with a mixture of vinegar and water. If this is done, you shouldn't have to worry about re-infection.

Something you should consider after the mites are cleared up would be getting her a same-sex buddy. Pigs are social creatures and are much happier and do far better in pairs or herds than alone, regardless of how much human interaction she might be getting.

ggehman

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for responding Paula. He said he gave her Baytril for any infection from scratching she may have developed in her ears do to the mites. He also gave me some white gel like substance to give her rite after the antibotic so maybe that is what you are talking about??? He said that white gel medication was so the antibotic doesn't upset her stomach or give her diarea. So, let me see if I have this rite. If she got her sot of Ivermecitin on Friday night and then Saturday I cleaned and disinfected her cage, is that fine??? Do I need to do it again like tomorrow? Do I have to keep washing her Cozy? I threw away her original Cozy and threw away the fleece blanket I put under her igloo but she is still scratching so is she still contagiouse.. I am so confused. I had no clue about any of this prior to buying her. I do want to get her a piggie friend, but now with the mites I am afraid too.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The probiotic (white gel, it sounds like) should be given 45 minutes to an hour before or after the antibiotic. Doing it immediately before or after defeats the purpose.

I'm still not certain why he gave the Baytril. Does she have an infection in her ears or is this just a preemptive strike kind of thing? If it's the latter, and there's no confirmation of infection, I really wouldn't give the medicine.

I would just clean the cage after the next treatment with Ivermectin.

As for a friend, your pig would really benefit from a companion of like kind once the mites are cleared up, but please don't buy again. Adopt instead. There are almost always pigs available in rescues or shelters, or even through private rehomes (Craigslist).

When/if you do adopt, please remember to quarantine the new piggy.

ggehman

Cavy Slave
Yea, the Baytril I believe is "just in case". He said she was perfectly healthy other then the mites. JUST GREAT, I was giving her the gel stuff immediately afterwards.

I would never buy again, never thought of craigs list... I will check that out.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The thing is, giving a guinea pig antibiotics "just in case" can end up being far more detrimental than simply not giving them the antibiotic, ESPECIALLY if they don't need it, and it sounds like she doesn't.

Antibiotic intolerance would be a serious concern if you ever need to give her Baytril again, and it's possible. I had a pig develop antibiotic intolerance after a single use of Baytril, so it's something to keep in mind and at least discuss with your vet.

ggehman

Cavy Slave
OMG, I had no idea. And she is only 8 weeks old. He is an "Exotic Animal Vet" so figured he knew best.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Baytril is not recommended for babies. And mites do not live off the host so you don't need to sanitize the cage unless you are dealing with fungus.

Carefresh is expensive - you can use kiln dried shavings or fleece.

You see improvement after the 2nd dose usually. Make sure you get 3 ivermec treatments at least, spaced 7 to 10 days apart.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
At least your vet is doing a good dosing schedule with the ivermectin (4 doses, 1 week apart). The repeat doses are necessary because the ivermectin can't kill the eggs, so it has to kill them after they hatch but before they grow up and lay more eggs.

ggehman

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys, I love that so many people on here care about responding, it is great to here from expereinced people. I will stop the Baytril., he specifically told me she is 100% healthy other then the mites. THANK GOODNESS, I do not need to change the cage everyday, that carefresh is $18 a bag and I need the whole bag every single time. I want to try the fleece, just havn't been able to yet. I know she loves it because I put a piece of fleece under her igloo and she loves to lay on that. Here is my stupidest question yet, what does "the host" mean? I've read that mites can't live off of "The Host", but what does that mean, does it mean the cage?

PiggieJewel

Cavy Slave
Bella is the "host" of the mites, as they're actually feeding on her. Yes, sounds gross. Most piggies develop mites due to stress and or bad living conditions.

Good luck with your piggie and be sure to keep reading these forums. There is SO much good information to be found!

ggehman

Cavy Slave
So the mites don't live off of Bella?? I didn't know it was "stress" related. Think she got them when I bought her home from the petstore?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The majority of pet store pigs do have mites. They are living in cramped conditions with too many pigs, usually, so stress is definitely a factor. Although, really, mites are usually the least of your worries when you buy a pet store pig.

Mites actually live dormant in their skin all the time, but become a problem in times of illness or stress.

PiggieJewel

Cavy Slave
Yeah, the mites can't live if they're not on Bella. The ivermectin will do them in, also. Stress can impair one's immune system (any animal or human) and then viruses, organisms, etc. can take hold and cause problems. That's why it's important to make sure a piggie has a big, clean cage, plenty of good water, the proper veggies, good quality pellets (but limited quantity), unlimited good hay. BTW, the pellets and hay sold at the chain pet stores is really lousy. Better to order from some companies like Kleenmama, Sweet Meadow, Oxbow. You can find links to their sites in these forums.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
It has been said on this forum that mites, which are very very tiny, too small for the human eye, can be found at very low levels on most or all piggies -- or at least pet store piggies, who are never quarantined-- but they flare up and get out of hand on stressed piggies. Maybe it takes ivermectin to completely eradicate them.

Dust mites live in humans' beds and are difficult if not impossible to eradicate. They only give problems to people who are allergic to them. If you saw your bed at a microscopic level you would be grossed out too! So don't think of mites as normal bugs. think of them more like the ordinary biology of your own skin, which also has teeny tiny flora and fauna on it. (which can also flare up and get out of hand---my dermatologist told me that rosacea,which I had once, is caused by an imbalance in the tiny bacteria that live on dead skin cells--the bad ones spread at the expense of the good ones that usually eat them.)

ggehman

Cavy Slave
OHHHHHHH, can't live "OFF OF" the host, meaning if they are not on here they die...DU. I was taking it as they can't "LIVE OFF OF HER, MEANING ON HER". Thank you for clearing that up, now I get it. My girl doesn't like any veggies.. an occasional chew on a piece of spinich is about all she will do and I've offered her everything. She has a big cage 4x2, unlimited hay ( Katyee Plus Hay), some toys, lots of attention and pellets from the store, but forget what brand. She is very active, loves to run laps around the cage, loves to climb, is not afraid of people or dogs and actually loves when my dog sticks his nose in her cage. Do you think the Vet can be so stressfull that it will just bring her mites back?

ggehman

Cavy Slave
I love your descriptin of the mites? That actually makes me feel better about it ( not so grossed out). Thanks for that update on them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.